What Is Your Favourite Kick...?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by jazzysingh, Oct 30, 2012.

1. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

My favorite kick is which ever one can get to his opening the fastest.

2. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

i guess u love all kicks equally then :D

3. sensei_dez

sensei_dez Valued Member

my favourite is a spinning back kick, or hook kick. I just love how they look and feel, not for a fight, but if you know you're quick you can pull it off in sparring

4. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

I love how spinning side kicks feel, and they work very well when sparring if your good at them.

5. marinevet63031

marinevet63031 Hapkido/Koryo Gumdo/TKD

Front leg round house!

6. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

oooooo tough choice!

Back when I did TKD it would have been the Jumping Spinning Heel Kick (much like the one JCVD uses a lot) But that was over 10 years ago now, my body has changed and I've learnt the importance of putting power into a kick rather than the tippy tappy stuff I used to do...

So I'd probably say for use in sparring/competition the MT style downward arching Round House kick to the front leg, most people who aren't ready for it, or aren't trained to take leg kicks will be on the floor after that kick =D

I'm also a massive fan of the spinning heel kick to the head, my favrouite one to watch and I love doing it on the bag/air unfortunately most comps I enter don't allow it as they're not full contact...

I'd also like yo leave an honourable mention to the side thrust kick to the face, rarely expected so usually throws people off nicely

7. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

My favorite also. It works great to "jamb" a kick if you can get them quick enough.

8. pascalywood

pascalywood Valued Member

I really like a good side kick or a jumping spinning crescent kick

9. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

Three kicks i absolutely adore.

THe gedan barai. I KNOW that ALL of you guys love the sadistic pleasure of watching your opponent limp for those few steps right after a perfectly delivered low kick. =D

THe butterfly kick. More tricking than kick, but i love it. So simple to do yet so beautiful. and that floaty feeling at the peak is to die for.

The toe kick. that's a mawashi with the toes pointed straight. Never tried it on a partner with the toe's like that during sparring, but i practice it regularly in non full contact. It has that way of sneaking into a closed guard and hitting the solar plexus that is awesome. It is my go to kick to replace the mawashi geri if i ever have to kick with shoes on.

Recently, I've developed a liking for the hook kick. I can't get any power into it, but the ridiculous expression on the receiver's face when they realize that they just got slapped with the sole of my foot is hilarious. =P

10. hteam5

hteam5 New Member

Low round house, or a front kick to the knee.

11. aikidoka-je

aikidoka-je Blue Floral Belt

The hook-kick (Gullgi Chagi in Korean) - works for me every time.

12. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

For me my favourite would be Ushiro Mawashi Geri (spin round kick) which I normally add into my combinations when sparring and I spent alot of time working both sides and I can get a good amount of force with it use it at head height and too the outer thigh, sometimes skipping same leg back round into Jodan Mawashi Geri catches people alot.

Used to use Ura Mawashi Geri after a good chudan kick to lower the hands.

Kick I most work and train will also be Gedan Mawashi Geri due to its accessable and practical nature.

Osu!

Dan93

13. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Thought i'd resurrect this thread by adding my favourite kick. 360 turning kick and reverse 360 turning kick, not landed it in sparring yet as i telegraph it but i can hit my target in pad work.

Baza

14. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

The oblique kick. Simple to learn and good for disrupting people. It's kind of sneaky too.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DqJgrdzPHE"]Oblique Kick[/ame]

But for fun...the miea lua de compasso. It looks a bit fancy, but it's one of the first kicks you learn in capoeira.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=431ARnMlKV0"]Meia lua de compasso[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  15. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Heel hook kick to the head, right over the top of the guard.

16. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

I can't do this one yet, each time i try the IT bands tighten and all power is lost. Every other kick is ok but this one i really need to get right. Seems everyone else in class can do it but i am writhing in pain when i try it, it aint fun.

Baza

17. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Favourite kicks. A tough one because I love kicking. One of my staple kicks is the Spinning Back Kick so I would have to say that one is right up there as I love to use it. I also like the Jumping Spinning Crescent Kick and Spinning Hook Kick too.

Add a Spinning to it and I pretty much love it, lol.

18. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

Favourites that I can't do well - axe kick and reverse hook kick, just don't have the flexibility and speed yet.

Favourites that I can actually do - front snap kick, turning kick and side kick, the basic 3 in other words. Can be doubled or even tripled up in sparring and can use combos.

My limited experience from a Sim day is that I can't use side kicks in a more realistic altercation, but low front kicks and turning kicks are still viable.

19. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

^This^

"The most effective Kicks in Karate happen under the 'Table', where you can't see them coming. It is throw back to our childhoods, when you used to Kick your Brother under the table, so that your Mother couldn't see!" - Kris Wilder

Regards,

Travess

20. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

my favorite to do at the moment-mawashi geri and jump front snap kick. Favorite that I want to be able to do-spinning jump kick (pretty sure TKD folks call it a tornado kick. IDK the karate term yet).