What is your favorite element

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Sonshu, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Kwajman

There all good and the water stuff works for me - my main instructor was more water based - I have to admit I am less inclined to air!

Sounds bizzare writing this but you all know what I mean.!

2. heretic888

heretic888 Valued Member

ahem

Why don't you ask a high ranking practitioner about the Sanshin no Kata??

Chi no Kata is really no more "earthy" than Sui no Kata or Hi no Kata. In Japan, the elements are treated as little more than a counting mechanism (although there are esoteric meanings, too).

3. Ninjabucky

Ninjabucky New Member

Kata's are dead technique's that we use and study as in the sanshin, total useless as self defense apart from 'chi'. But we study the kata's, to get a feel of the element, then as we play, we understand more of the distance and timing of the kata, what does and does not work for your body.

4. Sonshu

The limited Kata in Ninjitsu

Is the only stuff I have ever put any empasis on with Kata. I don't know what Hi no Kata is - Is it in Sanshin or is this a typo?

5. Ninjabucky

Ninjabucky New Member

Earth 'Chi'
    Water 'Sui or Mizu'
    Fire ' Ka or Hi'
    Wind 'Fu or Kaze'
    Void 'Ku'

Taken from the Ten Chi Jin Ryaku no Maki

6. heretic888

heretic888 Valued Member

hmm

It is the third kata in the Sanshin.

7. Sonshu

Cheers never come across Hi as fire

Well I have learnt somthing new.

Just plain old Ka to me.

:D

8. Ninjabucky

Ninjabucky New Member

Glad to help a fellow Ninja out

9. Sonshu

Thanks bud

I stopped Taijitsu about 3 years ago but its still a style close to my heart and most of my own training is based around what I learnt.

10. Ninjabucky

Ninjabucky New Member

Part of being a Ninja

Part of training i suppose or being human

11. Sonshu

To true

Where are you in the UK?

12. Ninjabucky

Ninjabucky New Member

Ha ha

Ninja never give out secrets:yeleyes:

Near Manchester, Rossendale Redneck:yeleyes:

13. quartermaster

quartermaster Cat-like, stretchy guy

i have not come across this element analogy before (apolagies but it seems the best way to say it), but i can repeat something my sifu told me.

be like rain, not like a bucket of water. if you throw a bucket at someone it is easy to dodge and it just keeps on going after the initial miss. if your like rain then you constantly plow at them reserving your own serength for when you need it. you can use your power/energy/chi to beat the adversary, by being more adaptive. rain always hits them eventually, they cant dodge it all.

that may not make a lot of sense, but it's words to that effect

14. Ninjabucky

Ninjabucky New Member

5 Elements

Gorin no To for the uniting potential power of all things. Without beginning and end.. By attaining this principle means not attaining the principle.The way of strategy is the way of nature, when you appriciate the power of nature, knowing the rythm of any situation, you will be able to hit the enemy naturally and strike naturally, all this is the way of the void.

Miyamoto Mushashi

15. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

This analogy does make sense on one level, but the beauty of the element of water is that sometimes it can be like a bucket if you want it to be, while other times water, like rain, is the required effect. All of the element posses variations in their nature that are there for you to use as a martial artist.

16. Sonshu

Info from my old instructor

Water is the strongest element and he had is in bucket loads (no pun intended!) :D Water is fluid and flows like a stream or river and finds a path around any obstical in time.

Water is also the most powerful form as its waves over time errode mountainside and cliff face causing the land to fall into the sea.

Your Sifu is looking at a more chinese theory of water than a japanese one in Ninjitsu. Both are right though.

17. Ninjabucky

Ninjabucky New Member

Many arguments on which is the strongest element, my answer is they are all equal. But the highest is the void, for without it, the others do not exist, as we fight we will manefest in an element, wether earth, fire, water, wind, but to change and be adapt we go to the void, become nothing, then change, become nothing, then change, it all depends on the person. One of my shidoshi says wind is the most powerful element, as it blows the rain, encourages fire, blows across the land like a hurricane, my other shidoshi says void, as to become nothing,from nothing you can be everything. I'll let you decide.

18. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Plutonium!

Sorry, couldnt' resist ;)

19. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

This story was told to us by one of the Masters in our ryu and I think it encapsulates the strength of the elements very well.
    Enjoy.

There was once a Stonecutter who was walking down a rural road who peered inside of a merchant's house.. within the house there were riches, fine cloth, and jewelry.. the Stonecutter feeling that his job was not a great as that of a merchant's wished to be the merchant. With a whim he was a merchant..but those lower than he despised his wealth..and not being happy he searched to be something else. Then he saw an emperor with his train of servants galavanting down the street. The emperor was being held aloft in a covered carriage being carried down the road by his servants.. the Stonecutter thought to himself how powerful this man must be--much more rich and powerful than a mere merchant. The Stone cutter wished to be the emperor and with a whim he was. Being the powerfull emperor was a fine thing.. bothered by nothing. However, within the carriage he began to sweat and fatuige. He wondered what this thing that made him do so was... he looked up and it was the sun. The Stonecutter thought to himself.."how powerful the sun is to be able to fluster the emperor"... and he wished to be the sun. So he was transformed to the all powerful sun. But the people of the countryside cursed the sun for it's blinding heat and scorching the land, making the crops unusable. Then something came along and blocked the sun's rays. The Stonecutter thought to himself, "what could have the power to block the sun?" It was a cloud. The Stonecutter wished to have this strength.. so he was transformed into a cloud. The Stonecutter found happiness being a cloud, giving the people shade.. but something came along and pushed the cloud away.. the Stonecutter thought to himself.."what could have the power to move something as powerful as I?.... It must be the wind!" The Stonecutter wished be be the wind and with a whim he was. The Wind blew across the land being more powerful than anything.. blowing the seas.. and moving any object. However, there was something that the wind could not move.. A large stone. The Stonecutter thought to himself, "how powerful the stone is.. more powerful than the wind!" So the Stonecutter wished to be the wind and he was. The Stonecutter was content in being the stone being the most powerful.. and harming no one. But then he felt something sharp chipping away at him.. It was the ping of a chisle.. he thought to himself, "what could be more powerful than stone?" He looked down and it was a Stonecutter.....

CALM

[

20. quartermaster

quartermaster Cat-like, stretchy guy

freeform, you silly bugger, everyone knows uranium-238 is mor edestructive than plutonium will ever be

NO NUKES!!!

peace and love