What is your favorite element

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Sonshu, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Everyone I have trained with in Taijitsu seems to belong to one or two elements. What are you and why?

Me I defend in Chi (EARTH)

I weather storms and dont bounce about, I keep myself calm and still watching the moves as they come in and become a counter fighter.

I attack in (FIRE)

Head down and chin in - driving through the oppoenent inflicting as many shots as I can to the head and torso area with fuidity and agression - aiming to break the oppoents soul.

2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Beats me, but I am drawn to water of all sorts.....what type of interpretation do you have for that?

3. Sonshu

Depends on if your talking Martial arts sence

If so you would favor fluid attacks and have a good movement, very good at changing locks from one to another (or aspire to be at least) and have a good level of power.

Water being the strongest element there is!

4. heretic888

heretic888 Valued Member

umm...

*raises eyebrow*

Unless you're being trained at a SKH Quest Center, you shouldn't be really focusing on the "elements" at all. It is atypical of Ninpo training in all the Takamatsu-den.

5. Sonshu

I have just looked at the Quest site

How suspect and money making does that look.

The point I am trying to make is I look at people and its obvious to see that there body prefers working to certain elements. The SKH Quest Centre looks like some very poor American money spinner to me.

All Taijitsu includes the elements and it is a fundamental part of the training.

What style of it do you do then to not pay attention to this key part?

6. heretic888

heretic888 Valued Member

*sighs*

No moreso than either the Bujinkan or Genbukan organizations.

I find it inanely humorous (and disrespectful) that you are attacking the methods of the man that invented the "element system" you think is so important.

No, its not. Virtually no one outside the Toshindo system uses the Godai model. It certainly isn't what's taught in Japan, as I have heard from *many* sources.

I suggest you stop drawing your sources from books written in the 80s. The art is a different animal now.

Ummm..... anything but Toshindo?? :rolleyes:

*chuckles* Laterz.

7. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I haven't learned any of that stuff, was I supposed to. Was it homework? ;)

Col

8. heretic888

heretic888 Valued Member

No. It isn't generally taught outside of Stephen Hayes' Quest Center network. There are exceptions, though, of course.

9. Freeform

Whew! Thought I was gonna have to use the reliable old,

'My dog ate it!' excuse! :D

We got a url for that site?

Col

10. Greyghost

Greyghost Alllll rrigghty then!

i like dumbo...and that one from Tarzan.

11. heretic888

heretic888 Valued Member

12. Ninjabucky

Ninjabucky New Member

To commit oneself to an element, will be your downfall, you must utilize all the elements to become void, if anything fighting in an element depends on your pyche and body, when i first started i was always Earth, and Fire. Due to my Karate, As I do not like to retreat. Now having studied and fought for real, understanding more of my art, i realised it was flawed, i left karate and found Ninjutsu, my shidoshi taught me a new way and introduced me to the elements, and the difference to between ninjutsu from other arts is that we must constantly change in fighting for real or playing in the dojo so we are not set in our ways and our adversary, or partner never knows what we are doing, now i only finish in Earth, when i know i will win, then change again to wind to scarper, or if there is more than 1 attacker.

13. Sonshu

What is sanshin then?

That is elements or at least was when I did it.

I am not saying commit to any and Taijitsu is all about concepts but the view I have is people do naturally lend training to a stronger element.

Sitting there and doing the godai stuff is of little help but it is a method of looking at peoples strengths. Also it goes much older than what you are saying.

"ALSO LEARN FROM HOME" - need I say more!

14. Freeform

Yeah, I leg it after a fight as well, unless I'm on the door. If I do it there I won't get paid :(

15. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

The goal is to eventually have all of the elements present in everything and every movement. As one progresses through their training emphasis is placed on one elemtent at a time until they become all present. This takes a long time and I personaly feel now after 7 years of study that I even know the difference between the elements. I continue to learn and practice to define them in my Karate.

16. Ninjabucky

Ninjabucky New Member

I've been doing M.A for 19 years from karate, Jujusu, Wing Chun, Thai Boxing now to Ninjutsu and every day is a new lesson, I started back then as a rookie and i still think i am. If to take a journey is to take the first step, then i have took ten thousand, and my shidoshi has taken a million, how long is the journey?

17. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

I try to keep well rounded, but I tend to use Chi {Earth} alot., reacting to the attack , Chi is what I tend to use while grappling as well.

18. Sonshu

This was merely what I was wanting to point out

Not what Hectic888 is thinking - to me now its just a way of looking at the ways and intention of doing a technique and what options it can give me.

I do not spend long on it as when needed to I can defend myself.

Earth is a good element as its solid and I do know things and techniques in the other catagories but to me most stuff just blends into each other now.

A technique just jumps out of the bag for me and mostly works!:D

19. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Well thank you Sonshu, I guess thats a compliment to be a water element!

20. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

[, how long is the journey? [/B][/QUOTE]

How long will you live?