What is your approach to BJJ/grappling

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by icefield, Mar 2, 2023.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

That's why all the top UFC fighters come from professional boxing, wrestlers don't do too well, and we haven't seen a successful double leg since 1996. Everyone who tried that old trick ended up in the morgue from one sturdy lead hand hook!

Have you ever even seen a UFC fight???

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

This thread is hilariously bad.

It needs the Neil Degrasse Tyson "we got a badass over here" meme.

To me Carlson's quote simply means "if you are a BJJ blackbelt, who isn't also training to deal with strikes, you're in for a shock". It's not literally "get hit once now a brown belt, etc etc". It's a pithy soundbite not a proclamation. It's a comment on BJJ guys who don't test themselves in mma or Vale tudo.

Merely an understanding of the variability of grades and experience (jon jones is a purple belt iirc!) would show that kind of correlation would never hold up to scrutiny anyway.

axelb likes this.
  3. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I always thought Carlson was saying “If a BJJ black belt gets punched in the face, then he should be demoted to brown belt” - ie he screwed up

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

4e05kwsphz991.png

This isn't totally right, (the numbers are infinitely debatable) but it's a good example of why belt grades aren't the binary thing they are made out to be.

And that's not even taking into account MMA style training cross over.

Mangosteen, Grond and Dunc like this.
  5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

That wouldn't work as a ranking system, imagine chess masters losing 1/5th of their ranking everytime they sacrificed a piece, Big Nog would still be over 300 belts under white belt!

6. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I didn’t think he was being literal

Dead_pool likes this.
  7. icefield

icefield Valued Member

As someone who fought extensively and trained very successful MMA fighters I think he knew everyone gets hit in the head regardless of rank

I think it was more if you haven't trained properly for MMA your bjj skills will degrade under striking pressure regardless of your rank