What is you favorite martial art and why?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by ckstuds, Feb 3, 2012.

1. ckstuds

ckstuds Banned Banned

I am new to martial arts, I want to know what everyones favorite martial art is and why? Why do you enjoy this certain art more than anyone else?

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

BJJ, because I get to hold big strong men.

3. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

judo, because the earth is my weapon.

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

MMA, although not actually a martial art, and more of a sport. I love practicing it because it is very close to real one-on-one combat as you can get. I also love the fact that I can incorporate anything I want into it, for instance today I was sparring with my little Brother, and I managed pak sao followed up by some strikes!

How cool is that? :D

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Hardly confined to MMA.

You palmed an arm out of the way and hit back.

6. Pretty In Pink

Well that's the words that ran through my head when I done it.

Thanks for being a douche though, much appreciated.

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Chadderz, your just back from a ban. I would leave out the personal attacks if I were you.

8. Pretty In Pink

You should stay on topic man, trolling isn't cool.

9. AmericanFighter

AmericanFighter Valued Member

Idealy I would like to say my favorite style is no style at all. As Bruce lee said "I don't believe in styles." I try to incorpeeate my boxing wrestling and tai chi into one concept when fighting.

However if I had to pick one it would be tai chi. I benefit greatly from tai chi not just from a martial aspect but also from a mental aspect. When the stress of grad school or work or life in general comes down on me hard going through and doing my tai chi form helps clear my mind and helps me relax.

10. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Kicking people never gets old.

Mind you, kneeing folk is pretty damn fun too.

Elbows rock pretty hard.

Throws, I love throws!

Ragging people around and hitting them, that's a hoot!

TKD it is then :)

Mitch

11. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Karate - there's nothing in the world that moves and strikes like a top level karate guy. Nothing gives you a sense of humility like being kicked in the head or punched in the gut by someone who moves so quickly you can sense it coming but can't stop it.

12. Chock

Chock Valued Member

Fencing - don't do it as much as I used to, but there can be no denying that attacking someone with a sword is great fun; what other martial art is there where you get to pretend you are a pirate or Errol Flynn or whatever lol?

Al

13. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

JKD because I have ADHD and cannot focus on one thing

Plus I like biting people after nutting them straight in the face and kneeing their goolies

14. daggers

daggers Valued Member

oh man what a thread! grab your popcorn guys

15. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Just make sure you don't mix any of that up!

:eek:

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

We actually do have a groin bite as part of our ground flow.......we don't usually mention it in mixed company

17. Mitch

To be fair, I was teaching this in TKD tonight too. I don't think Simon was trying to be horrible, just suggesting that many arts do it, not just MMA?

Mitch

18. Pretty In Pink

True, and we have it in kali too. However he decided that rather than comment on the topic he would just criticize me again, which isn't cool.

19. Mitch

Eezy geezer, maybe it was commenting not criticising? You say yourself that it's not an MMA thing but something common to kali and other arts.

Perhaps it's just a case of it being difficult to express tone over the net?

Not something to get too hostile over anyways, perhaps?

Mitch

20. Pretty In Pink

Maybe.... Ever heard the expression "Once you start to dislike someone, everything they say starts to annoy you."?

Same and vice versa here I think.

EDIT: Oh noes we are de-raaaailing, if you wish to keep up this discussion, feel free to PM me about it xD