What is this strike called???

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by nicosp, Jan 10, 2016.

1. nicosp

nicosp New Member

Hi

I'd like to know what this strike is called and in which styles it is commonly practised. Basically it similar to a front hook but the arm is more extended and impact is made with the backfist, see 8:22 in this video [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l01_tRhl9yA"]How To Throw A Hook Bareknuckle - YouTube[/ame]

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Nico

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

The technique is called an overhand right (or left depending on your stance).

It's a superb strike from boxing.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUqdaub4iTg"]Overhand Right: The most effective knockout technique in MMA? (HD) - YouTube[/ame]

JT Van's tutorials are always pretty good.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxuvCsr4ePk"]The Overhand Right - YouTube[/ame]

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Commonly practised in CLF, boxing, and seen a lot in MMA.

4. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

JKD too IIRR???

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Possibly, I couldn't be sure. I learnt it in JunFan kickboxing if that counts?

6. Bozza Bostik

Yeah, that's where I got it from. It's a great punch.

*sighs* Wish I could find a decent JKD place!

7. nicosp

nicosp New Member

Thanks a lot for your replies!

I'm not entirely sure though if we're talking about the same strike. Maybe my video link does not exactly show the strike I have in mind. From the angle it was recorded I can't really tell.

The strike I'm talking about involves more of a round swing of the arm, i.e. a circular movement, a bit similar to a roundhouse kick but executed with the arm (if this helps at all...). Also, impact is made with the back of the fist and not so much with the knuckles. Or are we simply talking about variations of the same strike?

8. Simon

It's a variation of the Suzie Q.

Learn from the master.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFw06C_0NcA"]Rocky Marciano - Suzie Q Tribute (Any Given Sunday Soundtrack) - YouTube[/ame]

9. Simon

I heard a story that Rocky's trainer didn't like the Suzie Q, as it was an unconventional boxing shot.

"But I'm knocking people out with it", was Rocky's reply.

"Keep doing it then", he was told.

10. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

In Kung Fu it's called Kei Sow Chui and is bread and butter in Choy Li Fut and Hop Gar/Lama/Pak Hok.

11. Ben Gash CLF

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8yUMb5n1i0"]The Choy Lay Fut Project: #2 - So Choih - YouTube[/ame]

12. Simon

13. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I've heard it called a "long hook"

14. Ben Gash CLF

It is a truly terrifying punch. Once you've learned how to use it in context it just comes out of nowhere as well.

15. Bozza Bostik

Isn't that half the beauty of the punch? The other half being that it lands pretty heavy.

16. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

17. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Fedor used the overhand right brilliantly. Offensively and defensively. And to enter to clinch and takedown...often going from the overhand right or a failed one to a seatbelt to takedown or a failed one to clinch to takedown. If it knocked out....great...if it failed he could still be ok by being less vulnerable to a counter or by immediately going for clinch,seatbelt, takedown.

18. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Like Ben Gash said, Sow Chui in CLF. Although the most common way we use it at my school is with the first knuckle being what you hit with. There are less common alternates though.

When you say hit with the back of the hand and NOT the knuckles, are you sure about that? Are you sure you aren't just talking about the first knuckle? Because the hand is turned the way you describe when hitting that way. That seems like a good way to get those fine bones on the back of the hand broken. And, well just not efficient overall. Having a stronger and smaller defined area to strike with makes more sense both to protect your own hand and to have better impact for your strike. Especially when targeting the opponent's head and hitting the skull.

Would be most interested to hear of others knowing of actually using the back of the hand...........

One more thing, the power of a Sow Chui comes from the turning of the body/ waist in particular, even though it looks like it is executed with the arm.

Classic CLF Sow Chui at :42 in this exhibition demo.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoIwTqbgLVk"]Sanda Demo - YouTube[/ame]

19. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

So has Roy Nelson. I am not a fan of his overall, but he has a great Sow Chui.

(Tried to show a highlight from youtube, but it won't let me cut and paste the link.)

This is why I get irritated when people say things like "Kung Fu people look like kickboxers when actually fighting." Some moves carry across many styles and it can be a kung fu move just as easily as a boxing one, or a kickboxing one, or etc etc.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  20. Botta Dritta

Botta Dritta Valued Member

Interesting, I've seen it done before but have never trained it in boxing. If its unorthodox it kind of suggests there may be some draw backs. So then, for the sake of future readers and to enliven the debate:

1) Advantages
    2) Drawbacks
    3) Tactical prerequisites to pulling it off.

Ideas anyone?

Off the top of my head, (but correct me if Im wrong - ive never used it)

1) hits from angle hard to spot/avoid
    2) large movement - telegraphs if opponent is awake
    3) requires to have the initiative