What is this exercise called and how do you do it?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Hapuka, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

So I'm new to judo (4 sessions in) and I'm enjoying it. But I'm having trouble with learning some of the exercises. Mainly this one here, skip to 0:39. I don't know what its called in judo, by I tried searching for the name given in the video with zero results.

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o4Fvqtcrxi0"]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o4Fvqtcrxi0[/ame]

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Ronda Rousey hands down does that exercise the best I've ever seen it done. She can get across the floor like that almost as fast as people walk.
    I tried to find a gif of it but no luck.
    No idea what it's called though.

3. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

The tasmanian devil ...

They rub their scent glands just like that !!

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Ooh! This is one of my favourite movement exercises. Mainly because its really easy and beginners always look silly trying to do it.

So, first things first, this movement is 100% about rhythm. If you get into a rhythm, it's really easy, otherwise it looks like you're having a seizure.

So, we'll break it down. Lie on your back with your knees and feet up and your hands clasped in front of you. Now, start rocking gently backwards and forward - no sidewards movement yet! Your butt and shoulders should lift an inch or two off the mat at either ends of the rocking movement. It's a fairly small movement.

Now, once you are in a comfortable rhythm in this rocking backwards and forwards, we can start to move sidewards. When your rocking movement lifts up your shoulders, you are going to twist a little so your shoulders touch down a few inches to the right of where they last were. As your shoulders come down, your butt is going to lift up (because we're still just rocking backwards and forwards). As your butt comes up you twist a little to make your butt touch down back in line with your shoulders. Then your shoulders come up, twist, butt up, twist...

This movement becomes a lot easier when you include the arms and legs. As your shift your shoulders to the right, you push your hands across to the left. As your shift your butt, your legs push to the left. This adds a lot of momentum to the movement and makes it a lot smoother. So now your body is rocking backwards and forwards, your arms and legs are moving left to right (opposite to each other) and your body is inching down the mat.

Make sure you exercise both sides. I typically rotate through 180deg when I'm halfway across the room. Or you can go across the room and back again, depending on how far you are doing the exercise.

This is an easy movement that takes a little getting used to. Everyone gets it within a few weeks, and then they can enjoy watching the next batch of beginners struggle with it.

Common beginner mistakes:
    They move their arms to the same side as they are shifting their shoulders, so their arms move right, when they try to move their shoulders right. This is wrong. Similarly, people often do this with their legs.

Related to the above is moving arms and legs together. If your arms are left, your legs should be right. If you are moving arms and legs together, you'll probably end up faliing onto your side.

They move their shoulders too far. It is easier to move your shoulders than your hips, and if you move too far with your shoulders, you wont be able to straighten up and you'll move in a big circle.