What Is The Value Of Hubud

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by mannie de matos, Apr 30, 2005.

1. mannie de matos

mannie de matos Valued Member

I personaly find every martial art lacking. And because of this attitute i'm contantly searching so i'm constantly growing.

I compare this twofold:
    1. As a freeway
    2. Or as a culdesac (You know everything in your street and nothing about the world)

FMA is a multifunctional system that encompasses Weapons / Sticks / Empty Hand. An excellent combat system with a lot to offer. But for me personaly it's a bus stop in my journey through the martial arts and not my retirement estate.

2. shootodog

shootodog restless native

so what you have is a hybrid system and not purely fma. what you call hubud is actually a hybrid reaction drill and not hubud as the rest of the fma world knows it.

ok.

3. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Maybe you need to spend a bit more time studying one art at a time in it's entirety before assuming it is lacking. I have spend over 20 years in FMA and I am still learning just how street effective it really is, let alone how combat effective it is, it has never failed me. But then again I tend to look deeper in to things than most people.:rolleyes:

:)

A freeway still only goes in 2 directions. Just because it can get you there quicker, does not mean it is the best route, more traffic jams happen on the freeway because everyone is looking for the quickest route. Sometimes the long and winding back streets are the best way to your destination.

Don't assume it is only you who is on the so called freeway and everyone else in in the cul de sac. But even so, you can learn many things in a cul de sac, I know I live in one:D

But you stated earlier that you don't do weapons (there was no need, bad boys in Australia don't use weapons) so do you really understand what FMA is all about. FMA is more than that, in my limited cul de sac opinion that is.

Ever thought of going all the way to the bus station as opposed to getting of at a "bus stop" early?? Making quotes like this does not make the persion a phylosipher. And being a philospher does not mean you understand what you are saying. And understanding what you are saying does not mean you actually know what you are doing, does it:rolleyes:

I think you need to look at the FMA in more depth before telling us how your way of doing things is better than our way of doing things. Remember, just because something has been around for a long long time does not mean it is in need of improvement, as a matter of fact, sometimes you can't improve on perfection.

I am please you have found some systems to combine and come up with your own way of doing things, nothing wrong with that at all, but picking bits from this and bits from that before understanding the whole picture does not improve any of the arts, as a matter of fact it can often make them less effective and weaker, think about it.

As they say, if it aint broke, why fix it? (god you got me making silly qotes now:bang: ) I hope all goes well with your new system and you have every success with it, but I think I will stick to the more effective way of doing Hubud and FMA in general, but thats my way eh!.

Best regards

Pat

Last edited: May 13, 2005
  4. mannie de matos

Thank you all for your imput, thoughts and comments.

I never said my was better, just different. Being different doesn't mean being wrong. And all i've said is that i don't limit my Hubud training, understanding and it's potential growth and expansion because my Master/Guru/Sempai/Sifu only showed it to me a particular way. If my Hubud is wrong, it is only wrong by someone elses point of view.
    If my comments have in any way provided an avenue for extra thought and maybe experimentation with Hubud drills then i have contributed in my role as a martial enthusiast.
    The Hubud is to valuable a tool to selfishly guard it against other systems, interpretations, or individuality. What is important is that you help it grow and not judge it because it has the wrong colour.

If anyone else has a different concept of the value of Hubud please share.

I promise i will not judge.

5. NeilX66

NeilX66 Valued Member

Mannie,

In this months Combat Magazine in the UK there is mention in the index of Hakarac and Blade boxing, though when I flicked through the mag the printers seem to have made a mistake and the article wasn't there, at least not in the copies in my local Smiths ( the previous one had been printed twice ), would this have been anything to do with your organisation, or is it just somebody else using the name as well

Neil

6. mannie de matos

Hi Neil,

That was us.