What is the REAL Silat being taught today?

Discussion in 'Silat' started by ScorpioJ, Aug 4, 2005.

1. ScorpioJ

ScorpioJ New Member

Excuse the ignorance, but i have heard great things about the art but have very little knowledge as to what exaclty it is all about and what tools and techniques are used. Trapping (what kind) strikes (type?) etc etc. I train JKD and Arnis and like to put some Silat into my training...

Thanks

2. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

3. xen

xen insanity by design

silat pupil,

according to the last link on your post, is it right that there are only four silat schools in all of europe? three in ireland, one in london?

4. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

only 4 "Pukulan Cimande Pusaka" silat schools in all of Europe.

5. Wali

Wali Valued Member

6. Silatyogi

Silatyogi Valued Member

More Real Silat

www.pencaksilat.com
    Serak

- Maha Guru Stevan PLinck

www.CliffStewart.com

- Guru Cliff Stewart
    LA KILAT PUKULAN PENCAK SILAT SERA SILAT TUO
    Serak/ Buktinegara

www.doblesinstitute.com
    - LA KILAT PUKULAN PENCAK SILAT SERA SILAT TUO
    Serak/Buktinegara

Harold Koning - Mustika Kweetang
    - he is in Ft. Lauderdale Fl somewhere

7. Silk Road

Silk Road New Member

8. britsilatinmt

britsilatinmt New Member

9. xen

xen insanity by design

cheers for that guys, i'll take a couple of days off next week to read that lot :D :D

10. tellner

tellner Valued Member

It's funny. Six or seven years ago I could have answered your question no problem. Three or four and I could have with reservations. Now, it's at least difficult, maybe impossible. Bye the way, thanks for the link to pencaksilat.com Silatyogi.

You see, you're asking about technique. Everyone here has a whole barrelfull of techniques and tricks - more than we'll ever use. And all of them, as Uncle Bill says, will work once. The ones that are efficient look pretty much the same world round. You learn pretty quickly to weed out the ones that aren't.

Indonesia, Malaysia and the Phillipines are a pretty big place. Through much of history it was easier to take a boat than walk to the next town. So there's an awful lot of cultural diversity which includes the martial culture. There are quite literally hundreds of styles of Silat, and a lot of them look nothing like each other.

The really interesting thing about good Silat isn't the techniques, though, it's the understanding. How do different traditions deal with different ranges? What are their specialties? What are the guiding principles they use? How do they control distance and time? How do they work on the ground? Things like that.

It's something that has to be seen or preferably felt. Descriptions in words just aren't going to tell you what you need to know. Best thing to do is find a decent teacher or two in your area and see what it is that they do.

11. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Hmm, looking at your site there is a couple things that might help a little.

I'm not aware of any forms of Silat which look like Capoeira, but my guru calls Capoeira "drunken Silat". The basic angles, distancing and footwork patterns of the little bit of Capoeira Angola I've been exposed to are similar in spirit to good Silat if a bit longer range.

Malicia is also a close cousin to the inner game of good Pencak Silat. Cunning, decoy, clever treachery, but following the "rules" enough to be unpredictable will be very familiar. (If you always follow the conventions you are predictable. Break them too often and you're predictable again. Keep them guessing and they never have their balance).

When I was in the JKD family my teacher had a Kali Illustrisimo background. The way he held ground while still moving around, I think he called it lastico movement is a lot like the way Serak uses the cross pattern or sukurum.

Hope this helps.

12. moononthewater

moononthewater Valued Member

The August Edition of Martial arts Illustrated has a piece by Nigel Sutton on Lian Padukan (not sure about the spelling)silat and the courses he is running in Malaysia.

13. Silatyogi

Silatyogi Valued Member

Silat

I agree the coolest thing about Silat is the understanding, the natural motions, and principles (external & Internal). Also the fact that IT'S ABSOLUTELY NOT at all about technique upon technique, strength or speed its about timing, proper position, structure and alignment, simplicity and effeciency.

Tellner your welcome....If it wasn't for Guru Plinck many of us wouldn't be doing Serak.

also another cool link

www.buktinegara.com

I can't believe I forgot about Pendekar Paul....Doh!

<<I'm not aware of any forms of Silat which look like Capoeira, but my guru calls Capoeira "drunken Silat". The basic angles, distancing and footwork patterns of the little bit of Capoeira Angola I've been exposed to are similar in spirit to good Silat if a bit longer range. >>

Yeah some of the Walisongo I have seen has a bit of a capoeira feel to it.

<<When I was in the JKD family my teacher had a Kali Illustrisimo background. The way he held ground while still moving around, I think he called it lastico movement is a lot like the way Serak uses the cross pattern or sukurum.

Hope this helps.>>

Yeah that is true the Coconut footwork from Mano Leo Giron also has some similarities to Silat and the idea of one foot being stationary like Sekurung. Also the largo mano footwork is very similar to Biset training on a Sliwa or square.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2005
  14. britsilatinmt

britsilatinmt New Member

silatyogi, are you a wali songo pencak silat student?
    :)

15. Silatyogi

Silatyogi Valued Member

Hi there,

To answer your question,

I am not an official student of East West Martial arts academy.

I am a student under Guru Cliff and an instructor under him in Sera/Bukti negara, Kilat Pukulan Pencak silat/silat tuo.

My connection to Wali Songo is through Guru Cliff. I have been exposed to some Walisongo through him and his group whenever I am in Los Angeles to train. I have a Wali Songo manual he gave me that was put together by Guru Steven Benitez, and few postures and some drills. Also Guru Cliff has shown me some very impressive video footage of Guru Tony Felix & Guru Steven Benitez.

I can't say I know much about Wali Songo I am really a beginner. My main cup of tea is Serak but I enjoy practicing what I do know of Wali Songo and I try to stay up to date with it. Wali Songo has made my ground work infinitely better also it has made me understand my Serak better. I hope to at some point train with Guru Steven Benitez and the Wali Songo Group. Right now UK is a long and expensive travel. Hopefully they will come back to the US again.

-Santiago

16. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

http://www.emaa.us/

http://www.cimande.net/

If we are all posting our favorite Silat links, then here's a couple more :D ...

ScorpioJ, hopefully you'll find a good teacher and start learning. Once you embrace Silat, it becomes part of you. You'll start moving in a different way than you may have thought possible. It will also compliment your Arnis well.

17. britsilatinmt

britsilatinmt New Member

hi,
    good stuff.... ive heard good things about cliff from tony,

hehe I guess we're distantly related as silat brothers, im a student of steves but am in montana at the moment for about a year. If ever you're up this way let me know if you'd like to train a little,

best wishes

18. Silatyogi

Silatyogi Valued Member

Very cool!

Feel free to come visit in Miami and train. If I am near Montana in the future I will contact you.

Santiago

19. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Guru Cliff is an exceptional man and a terrifying fighter.

20. Silatyogi

Silatyogi Valued Member

Absolutely!

I remember getting thrashed by him in his living room when i first met him.

I had no clue what i was getting into! Stupid cocky me, I remember entering his house thinking I actually knew some Silat and Martial arts (having had substantial training with Sifu Dwight Woods, Cass Magda, Guru Dan Inosanto, Sifu Francis Fong, and Arjarn Chai). And I remember leaving his house realizing i didn't know crap about Silat and very little about actual Martial Science! It was an amazing learning experience and continues to be. Guru Cliff proved to me with countless effortless whoopings that what I knew was just a very basic understanding of Silat. As he told me "A little Silat goes a long way".

Those of you who have a chance to met him or train with him SHOULD DO SO!

-Santiago

Last edited: Aug 6, 2005