What is the name of this move?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Tian-Tian, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Tian-Tian

Tian-Tian Awesome 15 minutes a day.

I was browsing a minute ago on Youtube for TDK vids. While checking out this one from 2004 Olympics, I noticed a repeated use of the move at 4:38. It's the leg up, hammer down thing.

It can also be seen at 4:53 and again at 4:55. It seems to be a quick and effective move and I kinda like it. When my back is better, I'd love to approach Anthony about learning it in club practice.

Is there a specific name for the move?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLz-sl1ZfBs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLz-sl1ZfBs[/ame]

Thanks! :hat:

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Well, it's an axe kick by the looks of it. Not sure what it's called in korean though.

3. Tian-Tian

Hmm... I think you might be right.

Thanks, Aegis! :)

4. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

yep axe kick. :)

5. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Specific name is naeryo chagi in Taekwondo, isn't it?

6. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

correct! downwards kick/axe kick :cool:

7. Tian-Tian

Awesome! We were working on circle axe kicks in TDK club practice last semester (ie, last spring). We'd kick in a high circle. Though I think it was more for stretching purposes than anything else. ;)

8. Ironized

Ironized Valued Member

crescent kick?(the one taught in class that is)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  9. johntm

johntm TKD Beast

drop kick/axe kick/hatchet kick (yes I've heard hatchet kick)
    At my dojang we mostly call it the drop kick, sometimes axe kick

10. Tian-Tian

That sounds a bit more accurate as to what we practice in club, but we just call it an axe kick.

Ambiguity for the win! :D

11. Ironized

Ironized Valued Member

to my knowledge,axe kick, you raise it, then bring it down on the same plane, aiming for the colar bone.

Crecent kicks, sweep sidewards and are not really for attacking

12. Tian-Tian

Yeah, as I said, I think we've practiced it only for stretching purposes. :) It's still fun to do, though.

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

If you want to be pedantic, the one at 4:53 in the video is a "no-step rear leg outside to inside stiff-leg downward kick." By my count there are over 40 ways to throw this kick when you start adding in variations of footwork and chamber.

14. Tian-Tian

Ooh, I see it now. I played it frame-by-frame just to slow the action down a little. It looks so brutal!... and so awesome.

Also, I just showed my mom the video (I'm home for the weekend) and she said: "THAT'S WHAT YOU DO IN CLASS??"

:D

15. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

the axe kick is one of my personal favourites. very effective. and if u are quick and successful, u can land on your opponent and make them think twice. like superfoot says there are MANY variations. example, swinging inwards, outwards, using rear leg, front leg, u can spin and do the axe (which is amazing, they NEVER see it coming coz they expect a rvrs hook kick or sumthing similar) plus u got hop in and do from the front or rear. amazing kick.

16. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

My best mate who just recently got married went on a cruise around the Med for his honeymoon. There he got chatting to a waiter who had a four-inch scar across his lips and no bottom teeth. Turns out he'd taken an axe kick to the face during a sparring match!

17. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

In original TKD there are 2 of these kicks. One is a downward kick (naeryo chagi) which goes up & has an arc which is used to go over an obstacle, like a guarding block of the arms or a pick shaped kick (gok-kaeng-i chagi), which has a straight up & straight down without the arc motion. Both kicks kick on the down motion.

18. Tian-Tian

:eek: That sounds like it was really painful!!!
    Actually, I have a question about taking head shots in tournament: is it frowned upon to repeatedly go after a contender's head for the sole purpose of winning by KO? Or are there rules against that?

So is this an inside-out kick or outside-in kick, or can it be used either way?

Sorry for all my questions! I'm just so curious! :)

19. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

Curious is very good. Now a downward kick, which the heel hits on the downward motion can be done inward or outward depending on the circumstance & obstacle to be kicked over.
    Also please do not confused this with a vertical kick, which can be inward & outward as well, but has a different attacking tool & is delivered in a different motion & to a different target area(s). Some may call our vertical kick a cresent kick. However a crescent kick for us is strictly a defensive kick.

20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

In the words of my first ever coach: "Smash his [insert profanity here] face in!!!"

So, no, it's fine to constantly aim for the head. In fact I believe the larger organisations are actually promoting it now.