What Is The Difference?

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by The Phenom, Jul 2, 2006.

1. The Phenom

The Phenom New Member

Hello, I am new to martial arts. I am just wondering, what is the difference between Thai Kickboxing and Kickboxing?

2. MartialJac

MartialJac Banned Banned

Thai Boxing originated in Thailand and is known as the science of 8 limbs, meaning that each arm or leg has 2 weapons - hands and feet and then knees and elbows. It is not only a stiking art as there can be alot of stand up grappling ( a bit like when a boxer holds on) But it has been developed into an
    art form to position yourself for the knees and elbows. Normally strikes with unprotected weapons ie:elbows, knees and shins score more highly. It is also a self defense system but most people (in UK) do it as a sport.

Kickboxing was I believe started in the 70's as a full contact sport for Karate people who wanted to test themselves in the ring (although this could be myth) It is more like western boxing with kicks. I think you have to score so many kicks above the waist in a round. But as I don't know enough about the subject I will leave it for a kickboxer.

3. kickboxingidiot

kickboxingidiot Valued Member

There are that many systems of kickboxing , its hard to pinpoint "kickboxing" as a specific style.
    Kickboxing is an umbrella for many different formats involving boxing + kicking.

Examples:
    Muay thai (thaiboxing) is a kickboxing system from thailand,
    Savate is a kickboxing system from France
    The one you mentioned earlier is called FULL CONTACT and came from the USA in the 1970's (you were spot on with your description of FC by the way)
    Bando is burmese kickboxing (which came before muay thai)
    There is also chinese kickboxing , San Shou
    As well as Japanese kickboxing which is known as K-1

4. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

"Kickboxing" is a fairly generic term for any striking-based combat sport that allows punching, kicking, and sometimes knees, elbows, and takedowns.
    When not further specified, the term "kickboxing" usually refers to Full Contact (aka American style kickboxing, above-the-waist kickboxing, or Full Contact Karate). Full contact started in the 1970's, and does not allow kicks the legs. There are also a requisite number of kicks per round. From what I've seen of it, it usually turns into a boxing match with a few kicks thrown in to meet the requirements. Also, it commonly refers to K-1 (currently one of the biggest circuits in kickboxing) which allows leg kicks and knee strikes.
    Muay Thai, aka Thai Boxing, Muay Thai kickboxing - a ringsport from Thailand derived from traditional Thai martial arts. Allows punching, kicking, knees and elbows. The top-class of Thai boxers are generally considered some of the best strikers out there.
    Other noted styles of kickboxing -
    Savate, developed originally by the French Navy in the 19th century. Noted for the use of hard-toed shoes while fighting, allowing fighters to point their kicks and strike with the toes without fear of injury (as opposed to the normal foot-straightened kick with the instep or shin).
    San Shou - Chinese kickboxing, developed by the PLA (if I'm not mistaken) and descended from the old Lei Tai challenge matches. San Shou is most noted for it's heavy use of takedowns derived from Shuai Jiao (chinese wrestling). Also, San Shou matches are sometimes fought on a raised platform, and ameteur San Shou fights are done with more protective equipment that most kickboxing matches (headgear, boxing gloves, shin guards, chest protector). Pro matches are fought with gloves only.
    Yaw Yan - check out the FMA forum for some threads on this. It sounds really awesome.

Generally, full contact fight sports like knockdown kumite and WTF taekwondo are not considered "kickboxing". Maybe it's because they're not fought in a ring, or don't use boxing gloves, or the fighters wear traditional martial arts uniforms.

5. scottv

scottv New Member

Okay, sorry to sound like I'm hijacking the thread (I thought it be better to clear this up here than make a new thread :) )

What is Freestyle Kickboxing?

6. kickboxingidiot

kickboxingidiot Valued Member

Under the ISKA,
    Freestyle rules kickboxing is basically kickboxing that allows kicks to the thighs as well as the body and head.
    Also known as "low kick" rules under WAKO, or as "international rules".

Unforuntately, many of the so called "freestyle kickboxing " clubs are basically freestyle karate which play for stopping after a point on the mats. They just use the name kickboxing as a buzzword.