What is the difference between Kali, Eskrima, and Arnis

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by The Wiseman, Nov 14, 2010.

1. oosh

oosh Valued Member

Hi Pete I'm good, dropped you a pm

I think Mananandata says it right, quality is the important thing whatever the style/system's particular approach

2. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

As I said the only difference is the spelling. Apart from that it is as the late great Prof. Remy Presas always said. It's all the same.

FMA ALL THE WAY

Best regards
    Pat

3. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

...arnis(arnisador)eskrma(eskrimador) MAHARLIKA our motherland and Kali isthe one who use kalis his weapon. MARADJAO KARADJAO!

4. Browneagle

Browneagle Valued Member

out of curiousity what does kamut" and "lihok mean?

5. Browneagle

Browneagle Valued Member

I hope it means a little more than just Hand & Move.... The war cry "Kali" wouldn't scare me much if I knew that;s all it meant LOL

6. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

...Lika(creation) Kali(destruction), Maharlika our "Motherland".:hat:

7. Mananandata

Mananandata Valued Member

lika (come) kali(uncertain), Maharlika from maha(great) and lingam:)hat:)

8. Browneagle

Browneagle Valued Member

Like I figured no definitive answer to this. Personally I think it roots out of the Hindu God "Kali" It is supposed to be the dark god of destruction of evil. It must have rooted from the Hindu Malayan heritage of the Isalnds.

9. Pat OMalley

Nope not at all the Goddess Kali theory has already been debunked by scholars. And you also have to take into account that people tend to think of the Goddess Kali simply as the Goddess of destruction. But she is also the Goddess of life. The Goddess of light and dark o beginning and end. Basically what we now call Mother Nature.

Best regards

Pat

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Is it really any less profound than "empty hand" (karate), "old shoe" (savate), etc. :)

11. Pat OMalley

Why would a word scare you?

12. Browneagle

Browneagle Valued Member

It's not so much the question of how profound it sounds...If you read my post my comment was how can a war cry mean "hand Move"

I don't know of French soldiers screaming "savate" in their battles and a more suitable anology for karate would have been "OSU" but once again not used as a war cry as such....

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yeah, I'm not so sure about war cries in general, honestly. Seems to me that an inarticulate bellowing is probably sufficient. :)

14. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

...arnis de mano mean your hand control your weapon.Kamot-lihok is your uncertain move.Maharlika(great noble creation) Tara blessed us!

15. Pat OMalley

The most common war cry in any language not matter what martial arts you practice even full contact origami is. Aaaaaaaaaarrrrggggghhhhhh! Or WTF am I doing here.

16. Pat OMalley

And anyway. If your in a battle and his war cry was even coowee big boy. You'll be scared.

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Basically anything is scary when you're waving a kampilan over your head at the same time. :)

18. Browneagle

Browneagle Valued Member

Do u think its possible that's actually what they were screaming! Coowee

was later missinterpreted as Kaaliii

:)

19. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

Hahahahahahaha Brilliant!

20. Pat OMalley

Bwhahahahahaha! Followed by Hello Sailor Boy me lub you looooong time.