What is the difference between a dumbbell squat and a dumbbell deadlift?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by jsmith, Feb 28, 2005.

1. jsmith

jsmith Valued Member

Hello,

I'm a relative beginner to lifting weights (maybe 4-6 months), and something that has been confusing me to the whole time is the difference between a standard deadlift using dumbbells, and a squat using dumbbells (I realize these lifts are better done with a barbell, but dumbbells are all I'll have access to for the foreseeable future).

As far as I can tell from reading about them, the only difference seems to be that the squat goes down, then up while a deadlift goes up, then down.

Should I just keep squatting?

2. LI GUY

LI GUY New Member

I think I know. In a squat the barbell is held on the shoulders and behind the neck. It rests on your traps. The movement works your legs mostly. In a deadlift the bar is placed on the floor in front of your body. It works more your lower back.

Try it with barbells and you will see the difference.
    The dumbells are probably distorting your technique.

3. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

If you only have dumbells, they are probably not too heavy either. Try looking up dumbell snatches, swings and clean and press. These movements will use a lighter weight and are probably more practical for use with a dumbell.

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

5. Ad McG

Turkish get ups are amazing. I was doing them with a 14kg dumbell the other day, I failed to get up a couple of times. I was doing them no handed at first, then had to start using the other hand to help me up a bit.

6. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

7. jsmith

jsmith Valued Member

Thanks for the great advice everyone!

The dumbbells are adjustable, so I can go to whatever weight I want but I can tell my legs will outgrow my arms very soon.

I will defiantly look into the above mentioned exercises.

8. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

Man, I'd like to see that! If you can levitate a dumbbell you should contact James Randi.

Or do you mean without putting the free hand on the ground?

;)

9. toothpaste100

toothpaste100 Banned In 60 Seconds

10. Wynnston

Wynnston Member

Please tell me that's not an olympic bar with 2, 20kg plates.

Maybe he's a waiter who delivers half cows instead of half chickens.

W

11. Ad McG

haha, very funny guys! I've seem that yellow bamboo thing, pretty funny.

I doubt they're adjustable enough to give you enough weight for a heavy squat or deadlift. Look up those other movements. Also, if your arms are bigger than your legs, you have some serious work to do! :D

That turkish get up looks like 15kg plates, usually yellows are 15 in my experience and blues are 20. Nonetheless, that's an awesome demonstration.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2005
  12. jsmith

jsmith Valued Member

lol, I meant pretty soon holding the dumbells will be the limiting factor.

I'm not opposed to getting a barbell, my main issue is space as I live in a small apartment.

Would something like this be ok for squatting?
    http://www.ishop.co.uk/item/optimafitness/Z-MG-MY-SR/index.shtml
    (not neccesarily this brand, this is just the the smallest squatting thing I could find).

If anyone has any advice for anything compact I would really appriciate it, I find all this fitness equipment overwelming. I will need a new bench soon as well, but all the bench/squatting combinations seem like they would take up more space than seperate equipment.

Thanks for the great replies so far!

Edit: Ok, I've been googling squatting racks, and they are way too expensive for me to afford. Does anyone have experience using sawhorses (I saw this suggested on a few web pages), or have any other cheap ideas?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  13. Ad McG

Powerline do an excellent power rack for about 200 quid - about 300 american. You can probably rig it up so you could do dips in there too, and there's a chinning extension on the top. That's all the room you need! :D

14. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

I don't know what it's like in America but here in Oz i'm thinking of just getting on second hand, new ones cost 300-400 odd, it's a rip. But yeah, if you can, look at getting second hand, as long as you sort of know what you are looking for, you don't want to get a dodgy-deal.

15. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

They do make a dip rack for it.

16. Ad McG

REALLY?!? Where is it? Me and a mate were trying to find it for ages, and powerline never answer their emails.