What is the best striking art for a street fight?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Hazmatac, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

Like the title says, what is the best striking art for a street fight?

I would only like experienced practitioners of martial arts to answer.

Its not just the martial artist either because look, Royce Gracie won the UFC many times over right? The other people were high level martial artists so it wasn't just the person.

And if you are going to give a useless answer trying to point to the flaws of me asking the question, please keep it to yourself.

Hazmatac

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I am not an experienced martial arts practitioner therefore I will not answer.
    Oh damn...I answered.

3. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

Change: You don't have to be an experienced martial artist... if you think you can meaningfully contribute then your answer is welcome.

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

There isn't a single styled martial art (ie, pure striking) that will help you in a street fight. In all situations, it's best to be well rounded.

5. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

I think what you are saying Chadderz is that a pure striking martial art in all scenarios is not going to help.

What I am asking is for what you think the strongest striking one would be, not necessarily one that would help in all scenarios.

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Ah, well I must admit I am partial to Muay Thai, but that's just an opinion.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

It's boxing. Western boxing.
    It is well adapted to the range you are given in the street (conversation range), it uses the most versatile and applicable attacking tool (the hands), teaches you to defend against the most likely street attack you will face (a punch in the face) and drills all that in a high contact environment where you will learn to hit hard and in turn learn to be hit hard.
    Add boxing to some street smarts (common sense), an aggressive mindset and the "bottle" to last the distance and you're well prepared for a street fight.
    There's still plenty you can add to that mix but you'll definitely be a force to be reckoned with.

8. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Boxing - two (general) reasons...

1) They hit hard.
    2) The conditioning training means they can take a punch.

I don't box and for a street fight PERSONALLY I'd hope to rely on my Karate Jutsu - if the situation was so dire that I didn't think I had much of a chance of survival, then I'd use Tai Chi (The fighting art, not the pretty one).

9. Kid Moe

Kid Moe Peace that don't belong

Against a trained or an untrained opponent? If the opponent is untrained/inexperienced street fighter, almost any striking art will prevail...

Speaking purely about striking arts, I am partial to Boxing, Kickboxing and MT... They will all work just fine... But that is just me being subjective... :p

10. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I second boxing. PAsmith covered this nicely.

11. SteveBioletti

SteveBioletti Valued Member

If you use pure boxing techniques you will end up with damaged hands!!!!

For "Street purposes" palm heels, chin jabs and bottom fist strikes all delivered in quick succession will leave your hands undamaged!

12. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Any striking art that you train realistically and effectively will work. It's the training that makes the difference.

13. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

Yeah
    it has to be boxing..however, there are things that you need to put in your boxing like as they say "A clash of heads"..a kirkby kiss ( head butt)works wonders close in as does pulling them onto an uppercut.and you can jab to the throat.just be experimental:hat:

14. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

You can't make me :p You'd do better to pay attention, really; the fact that you're asking this question is a problem. Where to start, really? The fact is that the answer you're demanding from us is not the answer you need.

15. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Largely myth on both counts, but mainly the former

16. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

jeeeeeeeeeeeeesuz H christ...

It's ANYTHING that teaches you to hit, be hit and keep hitting.

17. Killa_Gorillas

and by teach I mean makes you do it in training, obviously...

18. Killa_Gorillas

thread over.

19. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

P.s. We're not just being mean to you. We're trying to expand your conpception of what a martial art is. We're being mean to you as well, obviously, but that's only because we enjoy it.

20. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

Knight Errant, well can you tell me why you claim that this question is wrong?