What is the best Silat video?

Discussion in 'Silat' started by eulogy, Aug 1, 2006.

1. eulogy

eulogy New Member

What do you think is the best Silat instructional series? I've seen many by VDT, Inosanto, Terry Gibson, Hermann Suwanda, Rick Tucci, Bob Orlando, Steven Plinck, Maltese, Jeff Davidson, and many others. The best and most practical I have seen so far has been Silat for MMA and the Street

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2006
  2. SilatSeeker

SilatSeeker Valued Member

I smell a promotional ploy...

What do these subjects have to do with silat?

"how to soften Karate blocks so that you blend in with the person’s momentum and energy so you can use it against him"

"how to use Kung Fu’s Bow and Arrow stance realistically in a fight"

Nice try.

I don't mind promotional messages - I hate deception.

This is pure deception.

3. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Actually, it smells like the below guy on another forum:

"shabazz

Best Silat Video

What do you think is the best Silat instructional series? I've seen many by VDT, Inosanto, Terry Gibson, Hermann Suwanda, Rick Tucci, Bob Orlando, Steven Plinck, Maltese, Jeff Davidson, and many others. The best and most practical I have seen so far has been Silat for MMA and the Street <link removed> "

4. AnakMurid

AnakMurid New Member

As new thread has started on the subject though, I like the Frank Ropers DVDs. Good slow motion then full speed, with commentary. Well shot, decent quality. I also like Steve Beneitez's, the Gamelan soundtrack is a nice touch. I also have seen one very poor DVD, with absolute garbgage peddled as fact about history of Malay weapons and culture, and dreadful misunderstanding, and mispronounciation of Bahasa Melayu/Bahasa Indonesia, and the concept he was trying to present.

5. eulogy

eulogy New Member

Sorry Guys

Hey guys, I am Michael Tofte, Jr., CEO of the AFMAA. Shabazz must have used my account. I appreciate his efforts even if this is not the appropriate way to do it. I would be happy to answer any questions that you have about any of the products and services our organization is currently offering or will be offering in the near future. As far as the Karate blocks, I use the terminology to relay an idea that people are familiar with and I am trying to reach a market that might want alternative options to what they already practice. Most people are not familiar with the term "soft blocks," but they do know what a "Karate block" is.

6. SilatSeeker

Yea, I understand. Other people get hold of my private account information and use it to promote stuff all the time.

7. Steve Perry

Steve Perry Valued Member

End Run

I'd be more inclined to find this interesting if it wasn't a pure shuck: The best and most practical vids you've seen so far are the ones you are selling?

Really objective here, huh?

If you want to announce that you have a series of vids and think folks might be interested in them, that's fine. Do so, that's honest, up front.

Your posting is deceptive, and what it does for me is immediately kick my BS detector's alarm up to full volume. In turning that off, I'm turning you off, too.

Insulting your audience's intelligence is maybe not the best way to get new customers.

8. eulogy

eulogy New Member

I believe that I explained myself and apologized for what my zealous student did at my house. I am automatically logged in at my house. If you came to my house, you would be able to post on the forum using my identity. If you choose not to believe me, that is your prerogative and I respect that. I don't believe that Shabazz broke in and used my identity. I think that he went straight on this forum and posted without creating an account. I know that he has an account on other sites. As far as my Silat DVDs - I don't believe they are the best. If Malcolm Shabazz believes they are, then I am flattered. My DVDs are not classical instruction and they do not contain Jurus. Instead, they are a series of techniques using Bando and Silat principles against common street attacks and common MMA attacks. They are specific and not general videos and therefore cannot be the best representation of Silat out there in my view. We don't always have to agree with each other in this world to show each other respect.

9. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

Reasonable explanation.

I believe that Eulogy's explanation is a reasonable one :) .

P.S. Don't take this as an endorsement though ... I haven't heard of any of these video's before.

10. Orang Jawa

Orang Jawa The Padi Tribe-Guardian

Salam all,
    If you want to waste your money, time, and be bored. You can check my video :)
    Tristan

11. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

Ah yes ... Mas Tristan's video's are very cool and very logical (based on the download snippets) :cool: .

A word of warning though ... Mas Tristan uses Americanized sound effects. Maybe you could put out a series with Jowo tulen sound effects Mas Tris? :D

So far I like all sajian (offering) on this forum (Bobster et al) ... it is very good to see!

Salam

12. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

please nobody try to learn anything from videos its impossible,stick to your teacher he knows everything :)

13. Orang Jawa

Kembang Alas - Ah yes ... Mas Tristan's video's are very cool and very logical (based on the download snippets) :cool: .

Matur Suwun (thank you very much) Mas Krisno!

A word of warning though ... Mas Tristan uses Americanized sound effects. Maybe you could put out a series with Jowo tulen sound effects Mas Tris? :D

LOL!! Mas Bram reminded me of that, at first I thought "what he's talking about?" and then he explained about my voices during the moves. I was so surprise to hear myself saying Boom, and boom :)

The video that I had, was taken at Bob Orlando School in Colorado, and Bob Orlando himself took the video. He gave me the copy of 3 hours seminar videos. My students asked me If it is okay to share with others. I rejected his request but for unkonwn reason, may be my age, I gave up and gave him permission to edit the video. Gerry edited the video from 3 hours to 40 minutes. I must admit that the video is a poor quality, elementary, nothing fancy, not for the advance silat player, and boring like hell for all of who have been in silat :)
    The good thing about my video is ME :) Yeah right!!!!! :eek:

I'm not as handsome as Kembang Alas who have been Sadam's double, but I'm better looking that any Orang Utan every where :)

The video is sucks but you can print the snapshot of my face, tape it into the punching bag, I guarranty you will have a good time. So its worth it to have my video for that, right :)

So far I like all sajian (offering) on this forum (Bobster et al) ... it is very good to see!

Yes indeed!
    The handsomest Orang Utan Pendekar ever lived

Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
  14. SilatSeeker

"Yes indeed! The handsomest Orang Utan Pendekar ever lived"

Now that's what I'm talking about - good, honest, straight up promotion. No deception there! :)

15. Steve Perry

Steve Perry Valued Member

Respect

One can appreciate an enthusiastic student; however, as his teacher, you might ought to explain to him that this isn't a good way to do business.

There are a lot of people who post raves on the net about one thing or another, pretending they are not connected to the product. When a post says, "Hey, I came across this great video!" and then turns out to be from an email address belonging to the "great video's" producer, you can understand how that might be viewed with a certain amount of suspicion.

It just looks bad.

I expect this happens a lot more often than somebody sneakng in and using an account as you say happened here. Sometimes the appearance of impropriety can be as bad as actually doing the wrong thing.

If the police answer a shooting call and they go into a house and find one man holding a smoking gun standing over the corpse of a second man, it is certainly possible that the guy with the gun didn't do it, but that's not the way the smart money bets.

In a forum where all we have are the words and the electronic means by which there are posted, one has to pay a little more attention to the process than we would if we were sitting at the local bar having a beer and shooting the breeze.

16. eulogy

eulogy New Member

Cleared up

That's cool. Thank you for your reply. I am glad we cleared up the situation. In the future, I plan on taking people's advice and announcing our store when it expands.

17. Orang Jawa

Git R Dun!
    Hee Haw! :)
    Tristan

18. apibumiayrudara

apibumiayrudara New Member

best silat videos

to help in that reply i have enjoyed richard debours on the harimau aspect.i have also like guru besar jerry,s dvd they are easy to understand and much info. pendekars seminar tapes are very helpful also

19. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

i second guru debourdes videos,they are great,but then he was my teacher so i would say that! :)

20. bela diri

bela diri Valued Member

Thats good then you will enjoy the lastest 5 dvd's which will be released in October .I am just waiting for the promotion disc from Guru. I will stick it on u tube when i get it. We had a great workshop on Friday & Saturday from Guru De- bordes we never went to the floor once or used any seated postures it was all upright Harimau. Guru also mentioned that his teacher Maha Guru Hanafi was staying with him in Africa for a while then they are due back to Indonesia where Guru de bordes will be learning from Maha Guru's teacher. I think next year will be interesting for us over here. Knowing that the lineage continues at all levels.

regards
    bela diri

Last edited: Sep 22, 2006