What is the best place to study kung fu in London or anywhere near Hertfordshire?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Earthsnake, May 8, 2015.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

It is perfectly reasonable, but you did say something like "definitely" Wushu not too long ago. So I think maybe you should not be too definitive just yet as this is something you explore. :)

The following suggestion has its pitfalls, but maybe youtube some styles to get a feel for what you want? See what it looks like? Pitfall being you might get some youtube of some bad schools.

Maybe look at what is in your area, then post the website links here for us to take a look at.

I don't always try and plug my style on these types of threads, but maybe you should explore Choy Li Fut. It is a style that develops fighting skills (but individual schools vary as with most Traditional MA's) and it has some very acrobatic forms and lots of weapons forms.

The really acrobatic stuff is not learned until you hit advanced levels though. So you would have to be patient if you went this route. If you want fancy acrobatics right away, it isn't a good choice.

Here is CLF's monkey form (skip to about 40 seconds into it.)
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU13kA8dDSA"]Choy Li Fut - Monkey Form - Plum Blossom International Federation Tourney 2010 - YouTube[/ame]

CLF has a fantastic acrobatic, yet fighting application full, Drunken form. There is a clip of one of the Sifu's from my school doing it at some street performance in China. I will try and find it when I get home tonight. The other clip I know isn't nearly as good as this clip.

The dual Kicking form would be another one. The horse bench is both unwieldy and yet has some acrobatic moments in it. (Setting the bench down and somersaulting across it.)

But start off doing some searches of schools in your area and posting links here. Picking a style, only to find out there is no school close by would be a bummer.

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Tang Long in Golders Green is also the home of a branch of London Fight Factory. Think they only do BJJ though.

Op, have you looked at places like West Herts College? They sometimes hire their halls to classes. Might be worth a look too.

3. Earthsnake

Earthsnake New Member

4. Loongying99

Loongying99 New Member

Hi, I am a member of a lung ying club in hemel hempstead, (thats southern dragon), which is a southern shaolin style we train Mondays nights our website is http://www.loongying.co.uk/ just reply on here if u are interested, or just come down tomorrow

5. Ste_88

Ste_88 Valued Member

I'd check out Paul Whitrod's Mantis school, he teaches a lot of other stuff too. Also worth trying Yap Leong in Chinatown, never trained with him myself but heard very good things from a few that have.

6. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

7. butcher wing

butcher wing Oi, Fatso!

As stated earlier go and see Sifu Paul Whitrod for SPM. You'll learn a traditional art and learn how to scrap with it. Yes there are a number of weapons in SPM. In the Chow Gar system that Sifu Whitrod teaches there are a number of staff forms plus other weapons including the iron rulers, spear and kwan do. He also usually runs a staff sparring comp as well.

check his website for info.