what is the best internal martial art

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by iammartialarts, Jul 2, 2010.

1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I am saying to label a quan as a "Daoist Tai Ji", within the the group, as a whole, for the sake of indentification, can be odd.

For examples;

Oyama Tode Karate

Bruce Empty Hand Karate

Simply, if it is a Tai Ji art, state it without having to place "Daoist" in the title

For examples;

WU Tai Ji

Not
    Daoist Tai Ji

Or
    Daoist Wu Tai ji

In other words, it is understood that Tai Ji, no matter the "family", is upon "Daoist Philosophy, Principals, Ideals,"

2. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

There is a form/group out there called Taoist Tai Chi. They are not one of the traditional family styles such as Chen, Yang, Wu, and Sun. I know they are pretty popular but it seems to be some modern thing and I know nothing of their martial attributes.

3. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

He's speaking of trademarked, copyrighted "Taoist T'ai Chi".

A different perspective?

Slow motion exercise form,some breathing exercises,and maybe some visualizations.

Seems to be what the vast,vast, majority of people practicing TC do,which includes all those folks whose teachers include the word "ch'uan" at the end of the name.Which certainly doesn't mean they're learning anything martial,and most don't claim they are teaching such.Moy just made it a policy to point out it wasn't being taught w/any martial concept or function.(Tho' he did at one time).

Other than that,Moy made up a completely fictitious history of TC and how it is descended from the "Taoists".Which is no better or worse than the other fairy tale histories TC is full of-not that we needed any more.

It's a hugely successful non-profit-(teachers volunteer,no payment to them)- organization in the States and Canada.And being founded by a self-admitted middle level practitioner just goes to show that you don't need much of the goods to be known and successful and referred to as "Master",just good marketing.And a lot of people who become teachers after learning form for a year.

4. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Yep, that is it. I would avoid them like the plague.

5. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Actually that is not the organization I had in mind when I was making the post. I should've been a bit more specific and said Wudang Tai Chi. When I was in China a few months ago I had met a Taoist, he was one test away from being a full priest, and he had shown me a few things. So I was thinking more along the lines of Chen ShiXing, and not about this Moy guy.

6. 47MartialMan

Ah. this makes more sense to me now. A big thanks for clearing me on this :cool:

7. 47MartialMan

Not really. Taoist-Taoism, is not about kicking butt.

Esp, a Taoist Priest.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  8. 47MartialMan

Stating "Taoist Tai Ji" is incorrect (Tode Karate, Wu Shu Kung Fu)

Tai Ji IS Taoism

9. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

It's not incorrect in the legal sense as it's their name:)-actually the full name is The Taoist T'ai Chi Association.

FYI,as they mean different things it's not considered incorrect to say/name/write Wu Shu Gung Fu-or in reverse order.Alan Lee's (unfortunately butchered) book was named "Kung Fu Wu Su"-and I know of at least one master in NYC from Asia who's organization title ends in the words" Kung Fu Wu Shu Association".

And thanks for the clarification,Panda.

10. 47MartialMan

That would bring it from incorrect to odd ball :)

11. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

^This is what sometimes happens when I go and try and be funny.. :p

12. 47MartialMan

Sometimes it is hard to determine funny with sarcasm or dry wit. Put a lil smiley at the end :)

13. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I'm flattered,
    I didn't realize I could do dry wit.. :)

14. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

I prefer my wit a little moist.

15. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

Has anyone here read "The Way of Qigong"

I'm reading it now.

16. 47MartialMan

It is like a dry martini :):hat:

17. 47MartialMan

Sounds pervocative :hat:

18. jinkan

jinkan Valued Member

Tai Chi. It is the easiest.

19. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

General consensus I've heard/observed over the years is Hsing I is easiest to learn in all aspects.

20. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Please explain this answer for me.

Easiest to learn or easiest to master?