What is Silat?

Discussion in 'Silat' started by kungfufighter, Dec 30, 2004.

1. kungfufighter

kungfufighter Banned Banned

I have no clue what this style is, can anyone give me some pictures or videos or anything. Well, what's it like? A lot of striking, groundfighting, submissioning?

2. call_me_rizki

call_me_rizki New Member

since i'm not learn on it all i can say is that it is a traditional fighting style that come from indonesia. may be you can ask to silatpupil since he got silat in his name

3. bernie

bernie New Member

response to your question about silat

Aloha !

please visit these sites for an idea on Indonesian silat ( some West Javanese styles )

http://www.suwandaacademy.com/Pak's%20site/InfoPSilat.html

http://www.emaa.us/Bam/Splash/Sunda Framset.htm

4. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

see these sites for good information:

cimande.com
    ballymenasilat.com
    silatireland.com

Silat is an umbrella term for thousands of individual styles.....

There is indeed silat from Indonesia, but also from Malaysia(sp), and other Asia-Pacific islands.

Hope that helps.

5. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Originaly silat was an Indonesian term for chinese martial arts. In western China they had a phase that was commonly used by martial arts teachers that went something like train your punch blocks and kicks to develop the skill to kill. Pencak is the indonesian translation for punch, block and kick shortened into one word and silat is the Indonesian translation of skill to kill shortened into one word. After the last Chinese occupation of Indonesia the government tried to purge all Chinese culture from thier own. They banned everything chinese. Food, art, clothing, name,s use of the language, ect. including the practice of Chinese martial arts. Practitioners of the arts dide not want to give them up so they changed the names and called them indonesian arts. Over the years new generations of silat developed and it spread to other countries so some silat still greatly resembles kchinese arts while others have changed quite abit but thats where it came from.

6. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Silat or Pencak Silat refers to the indigenous martial arts of Indonesia and somesurrounding areas. There are some Chinese martial arts that migrated to Indonesia and then evolved to meet the demands of the environment. They are referred to as Kuntao.

7. 19thlohan

Thats not true. Silat was originally from China. Schools trying to hide the fact that they were still practisung a chinese art made up false histories and backgrounds. Kun toa is a chinese term meaning fist way and is a common name for chinese martial arts, it's not an Indonesian term. Many of the older styles of silat are are now researching thier true history and have added kun toa to thier name to pay respect to that history.

8. Sgt_Major

I think you'll find your wrong there Lohan, what Ular is saying is correct. There are contact details on cimande.com and silatireland.com where you can contact Pendekar Sanders who has spent many years researching the hisotry of Silat and other Indonesian arts. Contact him and he will point you straight to the truth.

9. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Or you could try reading "The Weapons and Fighting Arts of Indonesia" by noted martial arts writer Donn Draeger. It's an older resource but it will certainly support the notion of Pencak Silat as an indigenous Indonesian art.
    Pencak Silat is not a Chinese art.

10. 19thlohan

I didn't see any history on that page, where is it?

I'm not pretending to be any kind of expert on silat but i've taken several seminars with good silat teachers becuase of it's close relation with the chinese arts. Guru Rahardja, Roberto torres, William dethuarus, and a few others and they all spent years researching the history of thier art and they all passed down the same info. Who's the guy on your site and why should I take his word over everyone elses?

11. Sgt_Major

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4378

http://translate.google.com/transla...rev=/search?q=pendekar+Sanders&hl=en&lr=&sa=N

http://www.cimande.com/about/papers/cimande.htm

http://www.cimande.com/about/papers/sera_macan.htm

http://www.silat.nm.ru/pukulan.html

Try reading these ^ and research a little on Pendekar William Sanders, you will discover that the man knows a LOT of the history, origin and art of Silat, particularly Cimande. If you want to contact him directly: http://www.cimande.com/contact.htm or contact his European Director here: guruliam[@]hotmail.com, who is also a member on this very forum > http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/member.php?userid=7929

12. Wali

Wali Valued Member

Your labelling silat like it's one unified system, taught everywhere the same. To say that Silat is Chinese, is quite frankly foolish. The Chinese influences in Indonesian martial arts are quite evident by their movements, and can very easily be differentiated from the indigenous Indenesian movements.

Your comment implies that the Indonesians didn't have a fighting system before the Chinese came, and that Silat was introduced by them. Where are you getting this information from?

To be blunt, I find your comment disrespectful and arrogant, and not well founded.

Also, please be aware that Silat is quite unique in it's development, with different systems not looking ANYTHING like others, yet still being called Silat.

To name a few, you have Harimau, Cimande, Cikalong, Perisai Diri, Monyet, etc... From these systems, you branch out into many subsystems, and some systems incorporate some of the other systems, and it becomes a very complex and tabgled skein, that doesn't deserve the comment "Silat is from China".

I am not talking about Americanised Silat.. I am talking about Authentic and traditional silat.

Regards,
    Wali

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  13. krys

krys Valued Member

What Chinese occupation are you referring to? Kubilai Khan's failed attempt on Java (mid 13th century)? The Indonesian government took these discriminatory measures against the chinese population after 1967...You are mixing up history.

Don't believe all what is said in seminars, westernized silat has little in common with the real thing. Saying that those arts are chinese without proof is foolish...I could as well say chinese arts are of malay origin...

14. 19thlohan

No there were many border wars between China and Indonesian territories with the Chinese occupying parts of those territories at times. Noone ever said they captured the whole country. By the way Kubla Khan was a Mongolian.

Those are some of the best Silat teachers around and not from Americanized schools.

15. 19thlohan

I can see he has studied his art in great detail but how does that make him any better or more knowledgable than anyone else who's done the same.

This is what I was taught from Roberto torres seminar.

Silat came from the chinese si la ti which means the skill to kill

pencak came from pung cha ti which means punc block kick

Punch block kick with the skill to kill is a well known saying in many older chinese styles. It would be strange to have this name without any relation to these arts. There may have been indigenous arts under a different name that later adopted this one. Unless you have a better explination I'll have to stick with what I've learned.

16. 19thlohan

Not at all. I'm saying that I was taught that it's roots come from Chinese styles and not necassarily any one style either.

See above .

17. Sgt_Major

If this is your honest belief, then i think we are wasting our time trying to enlighten you. I also find your comments insulting and uninformed. You wanted contact details, I gave you a Pendekar's details as well as other better educated in the area than I, blatant disregard of these men without even a cursory contact says to me that you have no interest in knowing the truth, rather you are looking for someone who will ignorantly validate your claims. Im afraid we cannot do that here. We are enlightened, and know the truth, and that is not in correlation with what your saying.

18. Wali

Wali Valued Member

And WHAT exactly have you learnt? Perhaps you could post your Silat experience here?

19. 19thlohan

3 words. READING FOR COMPREHESION

20. 19thlohan

I never asked you for contact details and I never asked any one to validate anything I said. I asked who he was and why I should take his word over the people I have already learned from. You gave me links to the who but not the why. I showed you how one of my teachers traced out the root of the name of your art and followed it back to it's origin and gave you the oportunity to share any knowlege you have to the contrary. You argue the history as if you were taught something different and yet have no answers to the simpilest of questions. Surely if your teacher has any knowlege he must have passed some of it on to you. I asked for enough info to make me consider he might be as well or better informed than the others who I am familiar with and respect and you seem incapable of providing it. Instead you throw a hissy fit and start name calling, if that's enlightenment I hope I never find it!