What is Ninjutsu?

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by The Force, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Get used to it in this section. Funny how the couple of people that I know train/teach Ninjitsu are most polite in person. Still have the same discussions:rolleyes:

2. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

You can't honestly be stating that someone who's never touched a weapon whilst practicing martial arts is more skilled at using them than someone who's trained with them regularly?

Listen up, everyone. What it all boils down to is this - if you care about learning Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu, sparring too much before you've got your act together will be detrimental. If you don't care about learning Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu that's fine too, but then there's no reason to bother the Bujinkan about it.

3. Hissatsu

Hissatsu End of the Road: Moved On

You Go! Spinmaster!!! Way to be a yes man!

(sound of record screeching to a halt...)

Informed? Wha???

I train *in* MMA as well (not watch from stands) - at a gym with Top tier talent. He rents space to a group that used to train at a rugby club.

I am completely lost as to how his *opinion* is "informed" - and mine is just "opposing".

What alternate universe are you living in?

-Daniel

EDIT: MD posted: Get used to it in this section.

This is the most useful thing you have posted in this sub-forum yet.

Yep - get used to it. For some reason, this section suffers from the most un-informed posters this entire site sees. It seems you don't have to have anything more than a computer connected to the internet to state your (uninformed) opinion as fact - and the Mods/Site make sure that your posts are taken seriously as if your lack of information / experience doesn't really matter.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  4. Moi

I bet you had to wipe the spittle off your keyboard when you typed that. Are you as petty in real life?

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Oh, MD, you just made me splurge my tea all over the keyboard. :woo: Now I have to go clean it up! :bang: ;) :)

6. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

You have now officially waived your right to tell people to grow up.

7. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

I'll agree here, when i first sparred in Thai i made the mistake of leaning in to close the gap, which wouldve worked well in boxing. Unfortunately, i just got clinched and kneed senseless.

A mistake ive not made since :)

What i think he's saying, and one i agree with, a competitve fighter will be more aware of his surroundings in a fight due to his ability to stay calm, focused and relaxed because its a situation he is used to being in.

8. Arashima

Arashima Banned Banned

Call me old fashioned, but I first came to the 'ninjutsu' section of MAP with what now appears to be the impossible prospect of discussing 'ninjutsu' with 'ninjutsu' practitioners, not to attempt to validate my art, using only the written word, for the entertainment of non 'ninjutsu' 'tourists' who have only an 'idea' of what they 'think' or 'perceive' ninjutsu to be.

Looking back years, almost every single discussion seems to descend into a ninjutsu versus MMA debate, something which doesn't happen in the MMA section and this seems to have triggered almost every mod versus member argument and caused a lot of people to either leave, or get banned, because people would rather raise their fists (or moderator powers) than their argument.

I'm sure even an obscure discussion about a largely unknown weapon such as the konpei would descend into whether it would would against somebody who practices 'alive' (actually most of my street fights have been with people who are very much 'alive').

The daft thing is that a good proportion of us, including Hissatsu AGREE (for crying out loud) that sparring and resistance training against uncompliant partners should form part of one's regular training so the arguments are often pointless.

p.s. Martial Dad, I am a Martial Dad myself now, and I will never let my kids spend a second on spinny kicks that will get them seriously hurt in the real world, but I will certainly show them what to do to anyone silly enough to try it. (CapoKurt excluded of course!) :) And my kids will also be taught not to look remotely 'martial' so that they don't get shot by someone who perceives and decides not to take the risk of looking foolish.

9. Hissatsu

Hissatsu End of the Road: Moved On

Awwww... that's cute

You're very clever there, Soccer Mom.

Good grief - no. I never have to deal with people like you guys in real life - and when I do - they get the {*blink.... *blink.... turn and walk away shaking head} treatment.

-Daniel

10. George Kohler

George Kohler Valued Member

Ok, I'll bite...

Ninjutsu is a traditional martial art/strategy based on spying (including networks), information gathering, scouting, assassination, infiltration, guerrilla warfare, and its fighting method is based on escaping and evading.

Most likely you have been taught very little ninjutsu. If anything, you were probably taught ninpo taijutsu (koppojutsu and kosshijutsu) and ninki/ningu(ninja tools used as weapons).

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  11. Moi

Assuming again. You have no idea what or how I appear in real life. What I do or have done, absolutely nothing. Yet you still rattle on about guy's like me etc: Not very Ninja, is it?

12. Moi

I quite agree. He started his martial arts training at 5 in TKD and it's stuck with him. He can pull them off without much risk to himself in the ring so if he is foolish enough to try one when it matter the chances are he'd connect. I doubt he would though.

He doesn't, apart from his build. Can't help that and wouldn't want to. Glasses & Braces don't really make you look like a hardman.

2nd part is something I do worry about. Nobody is going to take him on 1 to 1 so............What can you do?

13. Arashima

Arashima Banned Banned

Oh show some restraint George, just because there is a shortage of tasty cakes in the forum world at present doesn't mean you have to bite passing turds out of desperation! :D

And you won't help our cause by telling people we study something called ninki ningu either! :D

People like us are here to discuss ninjutsu. People like you-know-who are here to dismiss ninjutsu.

If we, and others like us, leave, and others like you-know-who stay, what is the point of this section of MAP still existing.

Unless it is renamed ‘The Dismissal of Ninjutsu’ Section.

Perhaps they should at least rename it the Taijutsu Section though, I'm sure we wouldn't get a sudden rush from the non Takamatsuden koryu taijutsu people out there!

14. Kikaku

Kikaku Gakorai Tosha Akuma Fudo

No. Because traditionally most BJJ exponents sole purpose is not to train for competition (and it doesn’t require a licence or certain standard to compete or be a competitor). Now you can split hairs and say that there is a large demographic of boxers who don't simply train for competition, but then again the sport element is arguably larger compared to BJJ.

MMA is such a broad term, does it imply somebody who cross-trains? Or somebody who trains for sanctioned cage matches?

Naturally it wouldn’t, my issue was when DT referred to himself as an “amateur boxer”. When this is very misleading and implies a certain level of skill and standard, when you take into account his actual training.

This is why I prefer Muay Thai, you're less exposed and susceptible to take downs from their punching technique and the clinch is encouraged.

In what context? What topic are you making reference to?

Thank you for re-enforcing my point :cool:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  15. Kikaku

*sigh* In this context I’m referring to “street weapons” (i.e. items available at that moment of conflict). When was the last time you were in an a street altercation and had access to something that mimicked a weapon you’re used to training with in the dojo? :rolleyes:

16. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

In May this year. I'd say that an ASP is similar to a hanbo or jutte.

17. Kikaku

Well then, you’re in the minute category of probability, therefore the God’s must be smiling on you.

18. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

...You mean like a knife? Did you think this through?

19. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Can you think of a weapon that does not fit in the categories of stick, club, baton, blade, chain, rope or spear? Other than projectile weapons or firearms of course.

20. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

I used a beer bottle like a jutte or knife i guess

and change in my pocket like metsubishi

...and a longboard like a bo/hanbo

And I also carry kakute (kinda like shuko, only wore like rings) when I go downtown for the night

Hm... I think thats it.

Oh and one time there was a huge brawl outside of my friends apartment between some people I knew and random guys and I grabbed his naginata to scare them away.

Does that count?

edit:

I also made my own bo shuriken about the width of my finger and a few inches longer, and carried one around sometimes (though I never used them)

And I have a metal koppo stick on my keychain.