What is Ninjutsu geared towards?

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Pretty In Pink, Jul 2, 2015.

1. kevin g

kevin g Valued Member

For a prizefight, yes I would say cross-train.

2. baby cart

baby cart Valued Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, Taijutsu has punches, kicks, sweeps, throws and jointlocks, and you're saying it's way better to crosstrain?

3. kevin g

kevin g Valued Member

I think so. I'm extremely comfortable with tachiwaza, but the newaza I've been doing from Judo has just blown me away. I think the two arts compliment each other perfectly.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Karate has sweeps and throws and jointlocks.....just not as good as Judo or BJJ

5. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i think if people are honest with themselves and indeed want to learn the material, then good for them.

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Doubly surprising when you consider that the ne waza in Judo is rubbish compared to BJJ.

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Just to be clear, I didn't mean to turn this into a bash thread. I was just asking. Let's leave the "it doesn't work" out of it please. Or at least be nicer about asking :(

I know I can't make you guys be polite but I can ask nicely.

8. Giovanni

my thought is: the "art" is fair game, people are not.

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Re-reading the thread title makes me want to say "guillible foreigners"

But that would be mean.....:)

10. Giovanni

is there a kanji for taking ducats from gaijin?

11. Pankeeki

Pankeeki Valued Member

I think that one of the key elements of ninjutsu is to fight smart and to survive.
    That means taking into account multiple opponents and use of weapons.
    It implies not going to fight in way that is profitable for the other person.

So if you fight someone who is good in BJJ stay away from the ground, dont try to beat somebody on their A game.

And if you want to do competitions in a ring there is nothing wrong with studying other arts in order to prepare for that occassion. As you are adapting to a different rule set in a sports environment.

I've visited other dojo and rolled with some BJJ/MMA people i thought it was great fun.
    Can I beat the highlevel BJJ practioners in groundfighting in the dojo, nope.
    So i would not try in a real fight to play their game either.

I've know some highlevel kendo guys. Would I be able to beat them in a kendo match? nope. But give me a spear in a real fight and things will be different.
    Or take away their sword and let me fight them hand to hand then there will also be a different outcome.

Correct ninjutsu training will give you a very general assortiment of possibilities to fight.
    From unarmed to fully armed, from single to multiple opponents. From strategy to survival.
    The whole system is set up so that learning one field complements your understanding of other fields. Learning spear will improve your taijutsu.
    Learning taijutsu will improve your swordwork, learning one ryuha will help you understand another ryuha etc.

Now to be honest I think if you want to learn how to fight there are quicker ways to become proficient when fighting ordinary people.
    Somebody who has done kickboxing for a year is better at kicking and striking then somebody who has trained ninjutsu for a year because of the scope of training.
    Ninjutsu is something that takes a long time to become good at, and you will only reach that point if you train very hard, with the right instruction/teacher. Good practitioners are very scarce and scary. Most practioners are not so impressive.

I used to be a bouncer for a while and I have fought several skilled practitioners from other arts including semi-professional MMA guys 'on the street'. So far my ninjutsu training has helped me survive and overcome those people because i fought smart and didnt play their game.

12. Crucio

Crucio Valued Member

What ryuha in the Bujinkan assume you are "fighting unarmed when you don't have arms"?

13. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

無腕流 mude ryu obviously.

14. gapjumper

From your time training with the BBD what is YOUR answer to the question?

15. Pretty In Pink

Good for statues and robots with one punch. Also not bad against people who don't resist. I also thought it was good for a mindset. Learned some cool tricks and concepts that stuck with me. Like how to pick up a chair that you're sitting on to defend yourself.

16. gapjumper

Gotta love Brian McCarthy!

And the way he "promoted the art"

I base all my knowledge of MA on his stuff.

I trained with him once. It was a very strange day.

:)

Honest.

17. Pretty In Pink

That guy is a whack job. I maintain though, that the people I trained with were all learning Taijutsu pretty much the same as the better demos on YouTube. The black belts all seemed to have a fair knowledge of Taijutsu. No doubt I would smash them now though, weapons or no. (I've learned my fair share of kali)

18. gapjumper

Maybe that sounds like you should give it a go!

Say hi to master Bri!

But no, they were not learning Bujinkan arts. Simples. :)

Uncle Bri was always teaching a strange kempo, kb, jujItsu hybrid I think. With a thin veneer of Buj.

19. Pretty In Pink

Tbf apparently nobody is learning ninjutsu or teaching it :p

20. gapjumper

I try not to believe everything people tell me.

But hell yeah! That's so true!!