What is MA to you?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Martial One, Apr 25, 2005.

?

What is MA to you?

1. art

13 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. sport

9 vote(s)
    3.9%
  3. combat

24 vote(s)
    10.4%
  4. way of life

70 vote(s)
    30.3%
  5. combination of any above?

110 vote(s)
    47.6%
  6. other

5 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. Martial One

Martial One Martial Way student

Do you view martial arts as a sport? Combat? Art?Way of life? Or a combo of any of those? please post if its a combo to you :D

2. LJoll

LJoll Valued Member

For me it is mainly combat, but when it is going well its artisticly beautiful and all the training makes it a big part of my life that affects the rest of it.

3. hunter_kaval

hunter_kaval The Ronin

Thats a hard one Ill have to think about that :) :confused:

4. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

i think martial arts are about teaching people to fight. what you gain from it apart from that is up to you.

5. johndoch

johndoch upurs

for me its a combination of any above

its an art as it an expression of who you are
    its a sport as a way to train
    its combat when you have to survive
    its a way of life because its what I do

6. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

what Ikken said.

7. davethekodiak

davethekodiak Valued Member

what ikken and TG said :D

8. kungfufighter

kungfufighter Banned Banned

I think its for
    1. Combat
    2. sport
    3.dicipline

9. Martial One

Martial One Martial Way student

fight? I think that is down the lines of combat...this thread was not about defining "martial arts" it was about sharing what it is to you, maybe i should have been more direct. some people want to learn how to fight (combat) therefore MA is combat to them, some because its fun (sport) therefore it is sport to them, some people like choreography (art)therefore it is art to them, for some a way of life or a religion, for many a combination. i guess i should have defined the categories a little better?

10. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

sport and combat can be intertwined, hence, combat sports.

11. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

id say combo then

12. Tribalweapon

Tribalweapon Valued Member

art-I like to do the forms
    Combat-When it comes down to it, we are training to fight.

13. CraigLeeJKD

CraigLeeJKD formerly 'into_the_abyss'

I've chosen combination of any of the options, although to me it is first and foremost a way of life.
    Using a quote from a recent remake of a popular movie; some people use it to enrich their lives, some use it to define it.
    I use it for both. I eventually wish to use my chosen styles to compete, therefore it is also a sport to me. At the same time I will always view MA as an art, which is useful for combat situations.
    I don't think it matters too much how you view it aslong as you work hard and reach the goals you set out to achieve.

*Craig*

14. reikislapper

reikislapper see you on the flypaper

Well seeing that I'm drinking at the moment, (bad idea lol). I'll tell you the honest truth lol.
    When I first started MA i really wanted to know everything about it (Karate) so I learned about a bit of the Japanese philosophy and followed it's values the best I could. Anyway a few years ago now, (9 in fact) I found out that I needed a heart operation to keep me alive otherwise I'd be dead in a few months, I had no choice to accept what was happening at the time as my father was also gravely ill at the time and my mum needed the help. When the doc's told me that I'd have to stop training in MA, I felt is if the world had ended and it wasn't worth fighting for so I just gave up with life and didn't care a hoot about anything but had the operation anyway just to say that I wasn't giving in . Anyway I had the operation and took time out knowing that I'd try anything to get a way round the rules and find a teacher willing to take me on. I still want to be able to go back into Mauy Thia if possible as it used to sort me out totally but that's another story lol.
    It wasn't until I saw a programme on the tv about tai chi that I decided to give it a go (even though I'm an external MA I still have problems in that area lol). I joined a forum which talked about differnt aspects of something on here lol (thanks mods and Yoda). I met the current teacher I have and the rest is history and I still feel the same way about MA, it's part of what and who you are as a person. My love for MA is more than my love for people and it's couldn't change as it's always been the same no matter what.
    lisa xx

15. KungFuGrrrl

KungFuGrrrl Valued Member

that is just beautiful

16. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I don't think for anyone it truly is a way of life totally. For me its more of a combo of many many things.

17. Drunken Miss Ho

Drunken Miss Ho New Member

It keeps me happy.

18. Leo_E_49

Leo_E_49 Valued Member

I think it can be a way of life. It has certainly shaped me as an individual.

19. mattjd

mattjd Valued Member

Martial Arts is a way of life.

Matt

20. wael_kaddouh

wael_kaddouh New Member

A way to become stronger