What is Lau Gar Kung fu?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Rataca100, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I teach Choy Li Fut. I do applications that I've learned in Aikido, JKD, Kali, Silat, Muay Thai, Greco, CACC , other Kung Fu styles, Savate etc. They all form part of my cogent Choy Li Fut system (Hannibal will attest to this) because I am the sum of my experiences and the framework that I teach in is what's important. Does it matter if I tell you it's Chin Ji into Chiu Sau into Arhat seals the breath or if I call it Inside Gunting, Putar Kepala and RNC?

axelb and Hannibal like this.
  2. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

When I was training semi contact/ above waist continuos in my heart I thought that I'd have a chance against Muay Thai but in my head I knew it just wasn't true. The video confirms it

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Yeah, people not used to leg kicks being owned with leg kicks, what a surprise. The stance isn't the only way to deal with low kicks. Remember the aesthetic of Thai involves an element of being tough. If you take lessons from Savate you learn other approaches to defending leg kicks which are much more akin to TMA

axelb likes this.
  4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Yet Benny the Jet managed it....

Again YOU are the one that failed yet you blame the system - time to look in the mirror

axelb likes this.
  5. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

All three sound like excellent ideas. Go do it. There has to be a decent gym near you.

axelb and bassai like this.
  6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Want the reason the club you won't name moved away from lau gar? his name is Jeremy Yau, heck the while of Scotland left at one point they still taught lau gar just under another name.

Also want the reason lau gar did so well in all fighting competition formats it entered, including full contact again that reason is Jeremy You.

As for lau gar not doing well in full contact Jesus has any one not heard of Steve babbs, Pele Reid or michael page... There's three from three different eras for you, videos posted by others for you to watch

axelb and Hannibal like this.
  7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Pearls before swine mate...

axelb likes this.
  8. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I wouldn't mind but lau almost started the kick boxing in the UK, a load of the fighters fallout with yau and went and started their own thing making kick boxing popular along the way

9. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Have you got a link to the study?

Because the above tells me nothing about who was in the CCTV footage, or where they were.

10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

11. David Harrison

12. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I'm sure if you look hard enough you might find it, other than being an idiot I can't honestly see why you are arguing, most fights don't end up in one punch knockouts so when one side gets an upperhand it's usually the other side trying to either run away or grab them to stop the punishment, that then enters a clinch this is what I have seen and others here probably agree with, if a fight progresses past the first punch it tends to end up in some sort of clinch, you for some unknown reason what to argue with everything so I quoted a piece of research done, what does where they come from or who they are have to do with anything, if it's in Canada not the UK does that make it invalid? ?? Seriously what is your problem?

13. David Harrison

My problem is the assumption that statistics without context can inform people of optimum training methods and tactics.

Of course core skills and athletic ability apply across the board, but the training focus for an athletic bloke in his early twenties who likes to party is not, or should not, be the same as a middle aged woman who works with violent teenagers, or a young woman travelling abroad to a country with prevalence of weapons, etc. etc...

If the CCTV footage reviewed in that study was all young bucks having fisticuffs for honour's sake at kicking out time, then you cannot presume the findings will be relevant for the training regime of every human on the planet.

aaradia likes this.
  14. Dead_pool

Sorry, I havn't read the last few pages,

15. Dead_pool

Physical trends are physical trends, there's not some amazing skill out there that only fat unfit and old people can use.

Striking, clinch work and groundwork all happen regularly in real life.

16. David Harrison

Sure, if you'd read the last few pages you'd see that I explicitly said I wasn't arguing with that.

All I'm saying is that parroting stats from studies without giving the context of those studies is not necessarily useful information.

17. Dead_pool

David Harrison likes this.
  18. David Harrison

Wow, I actually feel a bit ripped off for spending £2.30 on that. I think it was an excuse to give a teaser for his vanity project novel (which was atrocious).

Akil is very open about this being an exploratory study that cannot be generalised to the population overall. His search terms and criteria for including a youtube video in his study were very limited.

- Exploratory Research - Research Methodology

He basically said all the things I did :rolleyes:

Dead_pool likes this.
  19. icefield

icefield Valued Member

In the absence of any other data it's a good place to start, and I still can't see why you are arguing with something that's pretty self evident, it's like saying prove punching takes place in a fight what studies have you got to prove its a high percentage probability that in a fight you might get punched?

Two objects moving towards each other will probably collide unless one manages to stop the other moving, so it's a good idea to plan for some kind of clinch in a fight, be it outside the pub, on the rugby pitch, in a dark alley and so on, unless you can point us in the direction of some research proving the opposite?

Grond and Dead_pool like this.
  20. David Harrison

I already said in my first reply to you that I'm not arguing about the prevalence of standing grappling in physical assaults (though there are specific contexts where that doesn't happen often , and you can see it on youtube! :p). I'm arguing against the spurious use of statistics out of context as some kind of appeal to authority.

Anecdote and common sense are all we have to go on, just as smitfire was saying in response to ronki23's use of "75% of fights go to the ground".