What is Kenpo/Kempo to you?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by snow_tiger, Dec 7, 2005.

1. snow_tiger

snow_tiger New Member

I ask this for several reasons. Maybe primarily to jump-start this subforum during a lull period. But also, because I see a lot of topics cenetered around blackbelt clubs, point sparring, etc... So, I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone expects to get out of Kenpo/Kempo.

Personally, I began Kempo after studying other MAs because the effectiveness of it made sense to me. I have a long history in Wing Chun, MMA, CQC, etc... and Kempo is sound as an effective (dare I say brutal?) street system. The other threads open my eyes to what others are getting out of it.

So, what do you get from it? Why do you do it?

2. Jukai

Jukai New Member

It's a good way of conditioning my body and mind. I haven't had much stability in my life and this is a way for me to center myself and find balance. I want to learn the philosphy behind it. Also, to build up patience/tolerance with myself and other aspects of life. Kenpo (I'm guessing most MAs) just seems like a very worthwhile discipline.

Cyndi

3. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

I started mainly because my son wanted to do a martial art and there was a Kempo school nearby. After taking him to a few lessons I decided to try it myself. I found I enjoyed the training better than previous styles I had tried. As my experience developed I came to understand that this style was based on Shorinji Kempo, this caused me to do some research on Shorinji Kempo. It sounded very interesting and I liked the philosophy so when I had an opportunity I changed over. The decision to do this has certainly been validated in my mind over the last 18 years

Shorinji Kempo is very much based on sound scientific principles and practical application of techniques. It is certainly an effective form of defence and I have benefited from this on occasions; however the real benefits have come from the friendships I have made and the chance to develop an understanding of different cultures. The philosophy is very important in Shorinji Kempo and I’m certain this has helped me deal with life’s circumstances. It has certainly helped shape my life, and I’m sure I would not be the same person without Shorinji Kempo.

4. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

To me it is the vehicle that is driving me to keep myself growing and learning. After my family and my career is Kempo. And eventually Kempo will move ahead of career :) It's the yard stick I use to measure my fight against laziness and getting old. It's the shovel I use to dig deeper into what is possible.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, it's really really fun to ALMOST get your ass kicked!

5. Justin M

Justin M New Member

I was always the little skinny kid at school. The one that always got picked on. I guess that really made me get into this. Though the teasing gets even wore when people start finding out that you do MA's because they test you to see what you can do. But it also kept me out of trouble. So it's really a life saver to me.