What is in a name? Confusing the client about krav maga

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Remi Lessore, Jun 13, 2014.

1. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the ads are automatic and have nothing to do with the MA styles of MAP members. Before becoming a supporting member (hint to the wise), I had a range of ads come up, many related to search terms I'd used on MAP or Google, others not so much.

2. Remi Lessore

Remi Lessore Valued Member

I understand. But if I paid for ads. which I hope to soon, I'd also be a member to keep an eye one of them and responses. Not proof, just a suspicion.
    Anyway, no matter. Why would they answer even if they were aware? Sales and substance are quite different things.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

The Google ads are related to your google searches, and nothing to do with the site. Your results might be Krav, Hannibals would be FMA, and Ero's would be Crisco.

4. Remi Lessore

education

OK.
    I shall retire to my bed a bit smarter, tonight.
    But all the more irksome that the search engine thinks I want to learn UKM. Still, I suppose credit to their marketing.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  5. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Sometimes not even that specific. If I visit the music forum I belong to AFTER I've visited MAP the ads that show up there are all about these hot Asian chicks who want to meet me.

They must really like older men,'cause I don't even use Crisco!

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

7. Pretty In Pink

Meh, it thinks I want to learn "five deadly techniques you can't learn in the cage!" :rolleyes:

8. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

What i do wonder about, Remi what Krav Maga organisation do you train with and how long do you train it now?

9. Kave

Kave Lunatic

10. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

Well if thats him, with all his questions about other teachers he should question his own teacher once in a while with all the claims he is making

http://martialartslies.blogspot.nl/2009/11/richard-douieb.html

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  11. Remi Lessore

claims

Hi Dylan,
    Please be specific. What claims have I made?

OK I've checked that web site. It cropped up a few years ago.
    Wow. It's on the internet so it must be true.
    Here is the whole of that article on Richard Douieb:

Born in Jerusalem but lived in France until the age of 16.
    Moved back to Israel to join the Army.

Claims he got a military diploma from Imi.
    Funny that on the picture below he was a green belt and Imi was already out of the army and looks very old.

Richard was born in Jerusalem in 1956 and Imi retired from the army in 1964.
    This means pushed to the maximum that he was 8 when he got his military diploma he states he got on his website.

He also states he was appointed by Imi to teach Krav Maga around the world.

Richard taught Krav Maga to the GIGN (French elite unit) and it wasn't long before he was spreading this around the world and on martial arts magazines.
    The unit likes discretion and soon found somebody else to teach them as too much publicity was being made.

Richard claims to teach Krav Maga to the Mossad.
    POSTED BY INTELLIGENCE

Let's take this seriously for the benefit of others.

I sent the link to Richard when it turned up a few years ago - so I did ask him about it. I also did a bit of analysis myself.

In reverse order:
    When someone calls himself Intelligence I think we ought to scratch a bit.
    This article came out after the break-up of the IKMF Europe/America (America was run by Darren Levine and Europe by Eyal Yanilov). You will see from http://martialartslies.blogspot.nl/ that Darren Levine is the most ridiculed on that site ("looks like a scouser"?!? - seriously? Is that Intelligence?)
    There was also a falling between Yanilov and his main rep. in Europe (Kaddouche) - he also gets slated.
    In fact, the only one of the main Krav Maga players who does not get slated is Yanilov. Mmm. Could this dishonourable rubbish have started with one of his followers? NB. I do not say Yanilov had anything to do with it or is even aware of it.

1. "Richard claims to teach Krav Maga to the Mossad."
    Richard has never made any claim that he taught Mossad. If you can find any evidence that he did, please provide it.

2. "Richard taught Krav Maga to the GIGN (French elite unit) and it wasn't long before he was spreading this around the world and on martial arts magazines.
    The unit likes discretion and soon found somebody else to teach them as too much publicity was being made."
    He taught the GIGN from 1993 to 2005. He was still teaching them when I started. He was understandably proud of that and said they were a phenomenally motivated unit.
    For those of you who do not know, the GIGN is the "SWAT"-type arm of the Gendarmerie.
    That's 12 years. Perhaps they did not notice all his publicity.

3. "Richard was born in Jerusalem in 1956 and Imi retired from the army in 1964.
    This means pushed to the maximum that he was 8 when he got his military diploma he states he got on his website." - If Imi was still in the army when he awarded the diploma. As a highly respected former chief instructor, it is not impossible that he was still awarding the military's diplomas long after his retirement.

I have asked Richard about this and will get back to you.

Look at http://www.krav-maga.net/en/informations/krav-maga.html for who taught Richard claims taught him
    "... different schools of Krav-Maga appeared even before the death of the founder, Imi Lichtenfeld. Theses branches were created by recognized instructors who all worked with Imi and who are or were excellent but with a point a view different regarding to their personality. The very first instructors were Eli Avikzar, Raphy Elgrissi et Haim Zut.

Eli Avikzar was Eyal Yanilov's, Haïm Giddeon's, Kobi Lichtenstein's and Richard Douïeb's teacher. Richard Douïeb also worked with Raphy Elgrissi and Haïm Zut. These 4 persons were also Imi's students."...

4. "Funny that on the picture below he was a green belt ...."
    Look at http://www.flickr.com/photos/49154863@N02/4505190004/. Here the belt is clearly black.
    Any twit with a modicum of photoshop ability could give him blond hair and blue eyes. Please. Be serious.
    If you Google Images search 'Douieb Lichtenfeld' there are many images of the two together with Richard wearing his black belt, including a long Youtube video [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mtiiokdrsI"]Stage Israel Krav Maga Richard Douieb - Imi.avi - YouTube[/ame] where Yanilov and Douieb appear to be teaching together with Imi in the background. Look at time mark: 47:34

5. "He also states he was appointed by Imi to teach Krav Maga around the world."
    No. He claims he was appointed by Imi to teach in Europe.
    See: http://www.krav-maga.net/images/stories/articles/lettreofficielle.jpg shows the letter of accreditation.
    For those of you who do not read French, I will translate on request.

A part from the question about Richard's age when he received his military diploma which I will answer in due course, all of the other points are demonstrably underhand and false.
    Dylan, on page 5 of http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120688&highlight=krav+maga&page=5 you make an intelligent point about KM which makes me suspect that you train with KMG or IKMF.
    Don’t you think we should be defending the name of KM against those who cash in on it’s notoriety and peddle their own non-KM home made concoctions, rather than distributing falsehood and obfuscation?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  12. Remi Lessore

In fact, researching my emails, if found that I had asked this question of Richard.
    His answer:
    When I met Imi for the first time he was 64. I was doing a military instructor's course at Wyngate. He had been retired from the army for a long time but continued to supervise the classes directed by Eli Rosen and Raphy Elgrissi.
    So, the Wyngate was training military instructors and awarding the diplomas and Imi's students were training Richard. Hence the connection.
    I think that is everything.

13. Remi Lessore

questions

The only question I ask is about the so-called Urban Krav Maga which I do not think is worthy of the name krav maga.
    If you disagree, please say why.

14. Remi Lessore

misprint!

Aargh! I do not know where that date came from. - I'll see if I can get it corrected. I've been teaching since 2006.

I did want to sign my contributions off as www.southlondonkravmaga.com but a Mod corrected it as free advertising.
    As it's not relevant to the discussions, I did not pursue it.
    Would I be allowed to use that if I were a contributing member?

15. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

Im studying with the organisation of Eyal Yanilov.

I did not say that you claimed anything, i said that you needed to check your teachers claims, i didnt said that he lied and i didnt made any assumptions about him beforehand.
    I just said keep him in check because there are enough charlatans out there.

Why someone calls something Urban Krav Maga i don't know and i frankly don't care, i don't make wall-of-text about some guy and why and how, i just train.

Krav Maga means contact combat so if you translate it it will be Urban Contact Combat.

So Remi, no need to panic, relax mate, breath in and breath out slowly and train hard.... and nice website btw

16. Remi Lessore

intensity

Do I come across as a bit intense?
    It must be the Mediterranean in me.
    Happy training.

17. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

I think your an ok guy :)

You just think to much about things. If we start doing this as Krav practitioners amongst eachother we will turn out like Silat players or Wing Chun practitioners that constantly are bitching at eachother, yes they do that and theres enough proof of that :)

18. Pretty In Pink

Silat players are all right, you're thinking of the ninjas :p

19. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

The ninjas tooo yes dont forget those :)

20. Purespite

Purespite Valued Member

Well quite - we don't bitch we just take on a slightly superior air :D