What is honour?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Terry Matthes, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Terry Matthes

Terry Matthes New Member

There seems to be no clear answer. I don't want opinions on wether or not honour is a good or bad thing, I just want to know what it is definition wise.

PS- Damn you Last Samurai. I had no questions till I saw that movie :(

Last edited: Jan 9, 2004
  2. quartermaster

quartermaster Cat-like, stretchy guy

most definitions seem to point towards distinction and privellige.
    also to respec(ed) and reverence.

putting it all together i would say that honour is respect/reverece/awe created by actions of an individual, making them distictly above average calibur, genuinely good people.

3. john yates

john yates Valued Member

Look at your self and think when did you do the right thing .if you can say yes then that is honour.

4. Dark Blade

Dark Blade It Roundhouse time

Not only doing the "right" thing, but if you put yourself at disadvantage when you did the "right" thing, that's a higher level of honour.

The "right" thing is hard to define and this is a complex topic.
    It all depends on the situation.

5. Jim

Jim New Member

Good question Terry!

I think the definition of 'honour' is different for (most) people. What one would call an honourable act another would call cowardly. I can give you an example:

You see a person dying a terrible death and they ask you for the Coup d'Grace to end their suffering. You accept and execute them. Now, in some cultures this would be an honourable thing to do, others would consider it cowardly.

From the other standpoint, consider you were in the painful death situation. Do you ask for the quick way out or 'stick it out'? Both could be honourable, but my conscience tells me not giving the Coup d'Grace is the more honourable thing to do. Life is always the answer (for me).

6. RubyMoon

RubyMoon New Member

Honor is having the courage to do what you know is right, no matter what the consequences. It is about embracing truth, in all its forms, and striving to rise above lies and hypocrisy. Honor is having respect and reverence for all life, and standing up for those who cannot stand on their own.

Honor is having the strength to rule and the humility to serve.

7. Tireces

Tireces New Member

Honour is honor spelled with a u. :D

8. Serpico

Serpico New Member

No, honor is honour without the "u". ;) ;)

9. Tireces

Tireces New Member

No no, thats what you say when they get fed up and say "Ok wise guy, then what is honour without the u?" I guess I'll have to think up something else in case it comes out.

10. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

Great statement above :D ; I also think honor would be defined by both the individual and the culture.

11. Terry Matthes

Terry Matthes New Member

Great posts especially Ruby Moon!

12. Jim

Jim New Member

My cheapy dictionary says:

Honour; Respect, esteem, testimony of esteem, dignity, good name, a nice sense of what is right, scorn of meanness.

If you're using courage to define it, can you be honourable without courage?

13. TigerAnsTKDLove

TigerAnsTKDLove Ex-TKD'er 2005.

what my definition of honor is when you believe in yourself and never giving up also honor to me is honoring your country and the people that are dieing overseas for us. also when you tell your family you love them... now thats honor part of our shield of life what we say everytime at tkd there is a honor quote that we resite it goes: honor: honor your family, your teachers, your country and the law of the country.

14. RubyMoon

RubyMoon New Member

Is it honorable to turn your back on someone in need because you are afraid to get involved? I wouldn't say courage defines honor, but sometimes it takes courage to be honorable.

15. Koryo

Koryo Valued Member

Honour is the strength to change what you can, the humility to accpet what you can't, and the wisdom to tell the difference.

I forget where I heard this but it is very applicable IMO.

16. Ara

Ara New Member

I agree with that, especially the first sentance. Honour is the ability to see through the cloud of everyone elses judgement and make a pure, unbiased view and act upon that, regardless of what it may entail.

17. Mig

Mig New Member

:eek:
    Wow!!
    That's nailed it for me.

18. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

I see honour as a blend of conscience, honesty and kindness. Honourable behaviour can be anything from a smile, a tear all the way to sacrificing your life for what you believe in.

Everyone has a slightly different answer (including me) but it all ultimately adds up to the same thing.

Rgds,
    David

19. Xia

Xia Dragon of Heaven

Honor is blind in some, and in others today they have none.

20. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I think we need to pay more attention to Rubymoons posts. She's got an awful lot of good things to say in just a few words.