What is 'God'?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Judderman, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

It occured to me as reading through the recent "God" threads that the image of god is indeed varied.

So I wondered what people's idea of what god is?

For me it is the image of our "higher" selves. It is the image of ourselves that we strive towards, in whatever way, to improve ourselves and become "better" human beings. After all wasn't "man" created in "god's" image?

What do I mean by "better"? It appears to be a common thread amongst many MAists that they feel more peaceful and better equiped to deal with the trials of life as a result of training. Others have reached the same place through relegious or philosophical teachings or study.

Thoughts?

2. Tatsumaru

Tatsumaru Your new God!

please can we ban threads with the word God in the title? :rolleyes:

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Moved to Off Topic with the rest.

As stated elsewhere.... "God" is what MAN created to explain that which he didn't understand.

4. nunchukpaul

nunchukpaul Banned Banned

Big guy + clouds = GOD :D

5. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I think there was a forum a while back with the exact same name. But, I could be wrong. God is everything, in everything, everywhere. He isn't an entity or a Charleton Heston/Moses like figure sitting on a cloud somewhere. Everyone has an opinion of what God is and is like.

6. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

If you knew the answer to this you still could not put it into words as it would defy explanation, so you would only believe you know the answer, so you would not really understand the question. :confused:

So do you understand the question to the answer? :D

Last edited: Oct 4, 2004
  7. Yoksha

Yoksha Valued Member

God = manifestation of mans insecurity.

"All wise men recognise that Gods are merely the creation of men"

Tao Te Ching

8. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

what is god you say?
    god=Me!! now bow down and kiss my sweet looking vans :D

9. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

As far as I'm concerned, God is simply a term and idea used to control people and dupe them into parting with property and time. Bit like a boss, but a boss gives you money in return rather than 'salvation'.

10. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

God = dog spellt backwards

dog = mans' best friend

so would that mean that man is god's best friend?

11. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Or possibly man's worst enemy?

12. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

probably both at the same time as he's an awkward bugger!

13. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

What is GOD? In what sense? Are you speaking of God as in the biblical God? There are gods of many religions, but they are not all named God? So, you must clarify for me so i can give you a better answer. Are you looking for what God is to me? Are we speaking of a relationship or a physical manifestation?

14. Wesker

Wesker Professional Lurker

God is the dude who created Amber Bock.

15. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

i agree with yoda, and the only person i can remember saying that is Rufus form
    FF VII.

16. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

The Gods and Goddesses are simply your own versions, facets of the Source/Void/Chaos or whatever you like to call it.

Facets. . . . but ones with personality and style, :D :Angel:

17. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

tekkengod what did rufus say? i forgot cuz its been at least what, 8 years now since i've played :D

...i wonder what gods doing right now in ummm whats that word...o! heaven yea :D

18. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

cougar, he said that (and i quote}
    "Religion is simply mans way of explaining that which he doesn't understand. God is a creation of the weak"-Rufus Shinra {1973-1997}

19. megk

megk New Member

OK, here I go...

God to me is a much higher being, indeed perfect. God knows all, can be everywhere, and created me. I believe God to be a male, but not in the gender sense. I believe God looks like us, although he is complete light. In God there is no shadow, or darkness. I believe God is the beginning and the end. I believe God knows each and everyone of us. He knows our names and the color of our hair. He knows our families and all that is going on in our lives. Oh, and I believe he actually cares about us.

20. Ian Nottingham

Ian Nottingham New Member

i'm not too sure what god is. i believe that god is something....better than us. something purer.
    so i had a thought the other day. what if all religion was made up. like what if it was made up not so we can believe there's a god, but so we can believe there's a devil. that way we don't have to admit that the deepest darkest evil is the one that lies within the human soul. so now we can justify our actions by saying "well the devil made me do those bad things." its like a way of having a pasty take the blame ya know.
    just something i thought about.

Ian Nottingham