What is fitness?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by lucas2411, Mar 25, 2005.

1. lucas2411

lucas2411 New Member

As the title asks, what is fitness? On a physical level what is it? What is the physical difference between an unfit person and a fit person? I dont mean as in their ability to run longer or faster but the actual organs involved in fitness.

2. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

Have a look at Crossfit.com and download their fitness pdf. Pretty good description of all the factors involved in fitness right there.

3. hakass

hakass Valued Member

Erm...i'm no biologist, but i know that a fit person wud hav a much bigger lung capacity as apposed to an unfit person. Hence they are able to take in and store more oxygen per breath or suttin like that which gives better supply of oxygen to muscles..... (this = stamina!)
    You'll have good clean veins and arteries, with no fat cloggin them up :D
    Your heart will be more efficient. Which means your heart will be able to pump more blood per beat

And your life will be a whole lot better in the end....

unless of corse.... :woo: :eek:

Hope that helps in someway dude

4. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

The organs involved in Fitness? What the...? Are we talking just cardiovascular fitness then. Fitness includes all aspects, Body Composition, Flexibility, Muscular strenght + endurance. Aerobic (cardiovascular) endurance also comes into it, and the organs you use their is pretty much the heart. Does that answer your question, cause I still don't really know what you're asking :)

5. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

It depends what you mean by fitness. Fitness is usually defined as the ability to perform a given task. Somebody might be classed as "fit" because they can run long distance, but they might be weak as hell. All-round fitness to me is defined by all the components of strength and cardiovascular fitness, hence why crossfit is so good.

6. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

The efficiency of the heart and lungs is what determines aerobic fitness, and the condition of the muscles determines strength and muscular endurance.

7. lucas2411

lucas2411 New Member

I know what the definition of fitness is but that is not what im asking. I'll put it simple what is the difference between a fit persons lungs and an unfit persons lungs/heart?

8. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

A fit persons lungs will have a greater capacity and are able to process oxygen more effieciently than someone who is unfit, and a fit persons heart will be stronger and have less fat and cholesterol linging the walls, i think

Shouldnt that be obvious?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2005
  9. lucas2411

lucas2411 New Member

Yes i know that a fit persons lungs will be able to process oxygen more efficiently, but why?

10. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

A few people here could tell you some pretty indepth answers, but if you're this far out (and it's okay) you might want to get a book that covers basic health related topics so that hopefully that will be able to answer your questions, and you don't haveto ask us everything.

11. lucas2411

lucas2411 New Member

What do you mean by this far out? I want to know how a fit persons lungs will differ from an unfit persons lungs on a more microscopic or biological level i was hoping i could get an intelligent and indepth answer to understand fitness more.

12. Knight_Errant

Perhaps this might help;
    http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article folder/limitations.html
    Cardiac muscle hypertrophy is probably the most important response to aerobic exercise.
    When muscles grow, current thinking is that additional myofirbrils are formed within the fibre due to fusion with satellite cells around the muscle cell itself.

13. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

Mahoyven Nwayven :D

14. Ophqui

Ophqui Valued Member

I think the definition we learnt for p.e gcse was 'a state of physical, social and mental well being' if that helps you at all, although bearing in mind the context, you were probably referring to physical fitness only.
    Once again, in my basic p.e knowledge, physical fitness is a combination of all the basic components of fitness (speed, endurance, strength, power, co-ordination, agilaty, balance, reaction speed)

15. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Plain and simple, in people talk, not textbook talk: "Fitness" is you ability to do the things you need to do, in your day-to-day life, without becoming overly fatigued or injured. It is a highly individualized requirement, dependent upon the unique demands you may encounter.

If you're a construction worker, and haul heavy timber around all day, but you come home and your lower back is done, and you can't reach down to take off your boots, then I'd consider you unfit...or let's say, not as fit as you could be. If you're a martial artist, and you get winded after throwing as many kicks as you have toes, again, you're unfit.

16. lucas2411

lucas2411 New Member

:bang: :bang: :bang:
    What part of that do you people not understand!!!!!

THANK YOU KNIGHT ERRANT! the only person who gave me a decent answer, although i couldnt get the link to work but i will try again. :)

17. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

I'm sorry, but if our answers have been a bit too broad, then maybe that's an indication of the fact that your original question was too broad. If you have many more of these broadly-aimed questions, please purchase an informative book.

18. Knight_Errant

All the stuff I've said there is really of academic interest only, though.

19. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

It's not just about the lungs.

20. lucas2411

lucas2411 New Member

Ninja, did you not see the part of my thread where i made it a more simple question? And yes i know its not just the lungs............. :rolleyes: