What is Chi and how to develope it

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Mr_Grumpy, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Mr_Grumpy

Mr_Grumpy New Member

Can anyone give me a brief or long (whichever you prefer) explanation of what chi is? I've read a few articles and such but i don't fully understand it. Personally from what I've read chi is energy and from my prespective it's morely of a pyschological thing though.

If this energy does exist, how do you develope it?

I remember doing a tai chi exercise when i was younger. I was reading one of a martial art book and it had an exercise which gets you to do a movement like swimming and eventually without my mind making my arms move... they move by themself. Good experience but growing up and reading more and researching etc my own knowledge tells me that its something to do with my brain and not some kind of energy.

I'd greatly appreciate anyone who can help me understand this.

Thank You

2. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Do a search on the forum, there's a wide collection of threads about chi. There's no single answer anyone could give you.

3. Talyn

Talyn Reality Hacker

Also, see the url in my sig, one of the focal points of Veritas is Chi (one of the three focal points, the other two being Psi and Magick).

4. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Oh no, not another chi thread!

Please do a search before getting head first into this, its a choppy topic at best here :)

5. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

quick answer
    think of chi as Prana(life), breath , and developing as good habbits like proper diet, exercise for body mind and soul.

advice: dont' swim too much :D
    -TkdWarrior-

6. ZillaBilla

ZillaBilla Banned Banned

From my experience, I would say that Chi (Qi) is a general reference to all energy. If you exist, you have energy, thus you have Qi. When you eat and breath you take energy, thus you take Qi. When you see something inspiring and it makes an impression on you, alters the state of your mind to more or less lively, that is either an increase or decrease in Qi. The difference between expending energy and conserving is also Qi, because it is a matter of energy. Most things we come across are made up of atoms, an atom is energy, it has a positive charge and a negative charge, in-between the two is a neutral charge. You can look at anything and see it for its energetic or Qi value, but you don’t have to, that is the psychological aspect mentioned, in my opinion. Human thinking and language is dualistic, there is no right or wrong, because there is both right and wrong, existing at the same time and individually. Thus, with a thinking mind and the human language, only part of reality can be understood and/or explained, because the human mind and language are only part of reality. Internal martial arts allow you (through constant practice, unless you’re special) to use consciousness or parts of the mind that are non dualistic, but can see and experience existence in a singular neutral manner without being skewed to either side or extreme (in Taoism known as the primordial), this state of mind allows you to perceive without judgment/bias, this in turn allows you the state of mind that can be trained to control energy or Qi. But, this is all very mish mash and in reality, no amount of explanation can be used to explain this, only experience.

7. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

You never studied science that hard, did you?

8. ZillaBilla

ZillaBilla Banned Banned

No, I did not study science that hard, and If you read carefully you will see that I specifically mention that it is my opinion, which would imply I know I may be wrong. However, if you (Little Bunny Rabbit) know something I don’t and are specifically alluding to that fact, then perhaps you can avoid the alluding part which is an egotistical waste of time and get to the facts on which you based you’re comment.

9. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

No you don't. You take on board the chemicals required for respiration, which is the first step in a long process that eventually produces a chemical called ATP which causes muscle fibers to contract. Where exactly along this point does the chemical energy contained in the food and air become Qi?

I don't see that this actually makes sense at all. You're saying that Qi is a measure of work done in an energy-exchange process?

Firstly yes, matter-energy equivalency does exist, but while they are interchangable that does not mean that an atom is energy. Yes, there's a lot of debate about this, and various theories, but we still have matter and energy as seperate concepts.

As to the positive and negative charge, there are thousands of different elements, all of which have a different atomic structure. Some of these do contain neutrons, which do not have a neutral charge, but have no charge, this is not the same thing as having a neutral charge. Then for even more fun we can play with isotopes, which are variants on the same atomic structure. And of course you can always add or remove electrons to alter the charge, again preventing the atom from being neutral.

But there is right and wrong, as they're an aspect of human thinking rather than actual objects. They are abstract concepts, and have as much meaning as you want to give them. Besides, human thinking isn't purely dualistic, neither is human language, unless you only ever pay attention to the most basic levels.

So in other words it allows you to be objective, and this supposedly gives you psychic control over energy? Somehow I doubt that.

How convenient, so there's no way to study it but to actually learn it. And if you go through all of the teaching and careful studying and still don't get it, then evidently you're not 'enlightened' enough, because obviously it works. The guy next door told me so.

10. MartialArtsSnob

MartialArtsSnob New Member

Silly Rabbit, The Tao that can be named is not the real Tao. It is impossible to explain the "REALITY" of Qi. Why do you think that Christ taught in parables or anyone trying to "EXPLAIN" the truth for that matter? The truth transcends language. The best that can be hoped for is that on occasion someone comes up with the poetry to momentarily change our thinking in a way that expands our perspective of the truth.

That said, I think ZillaBilla has done a fine job in showing us another piece of this puzzle.

Mr. Grumpy,
    The way I look at it is like this, Energy is found in several forms strong and weak nuclear forces, gravity, and electromagnetism. The gurus in physics are trying to find the formula (Grand unified theory) which explains to them (in mathematics) how they are related and ultimately come from the same source. Energy = mass, there is a constant process that seems to be going on where energy manifests as mass and mass is decaying into energy. The Gurus of the eastern religions are trying to EXPERINCE this process, they are trying to “Find the state of unity”, “Become one with the universe”. How this relates to Qi is that Qi is that energy which flows through us (our breath, food, sunlight, electromagnetism, sexual energy, etc….). Feeling and developing Qi is the process of bringing TO CONCIOUSNESS these processes. The beginning practices involve relaxation (think about Yoga, Tai Chi, etc…). Stress impedes the flow of energy through our bodies. Once you get a handle on how to open your body and bring your awareness to all of its parts, you will indeed feel its flow very easily. You can then begin to affect its rate of flow. If anyone tells you “Qi is…”” they are lying, if they say, “Qi is like”, or “You can look at it like this…” you might get something from what they say next.

I personally think that when people talk about “Grand circulation of the Qi”. I think that it has something to do with the bringing to consciousness the circulation of cerebrospinal fluid throughout the connective tissue of the body. The movements of the plates of the scull and the movement of the Sacrum pump this fluid up and down the spinal cord and around the brain. This same fluid is found inside all of the connective tissue of the body.

11. ZillaBilla

ZillaBilla Banned Banned

Yes Bunny, you are right, I’m just a immense cretin. In fact, everything I wrote in my previous post is a load of excrement. I was just making it up to make myself look smart, but unfortunately for me, your supreme intellect has caught me out. You are the best. Perhaps your supreme royal greatness 'The Littlest Bunniest Rabbit', would care to enlighten me with his supremely divine answers to the following questions.

What is consciousness ?

Why does each of our individual consciousnesses exist?

I would like to offer my utmost gratitude to your highness, for even considering to answer such a dim-witted question posed by me, the immense cretin.

12. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Chill Zilla,
    You tried to play the science card and got caught out. If you believe in Chi, Qi or Ki then keep to the theological side because there you cannot be contradicted for inaccuracies. Scientists want to quantify and describe the universe and get very upset when theologists try to twist scientific theory to fit their dogma.
    I understand exactly how bunny feels when he hears these arguments. We aren't trying to be supreme beings but avoid the misuse of science.

The Bear (BSc Physics)

13. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

What do either of these have to do with your misuse of science and atomic theory?

14. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

What do either of these have to do with your misuse of science and atomic theory?

why not... just think is farting in public would be conscious decision... :D it's scientific... lol

I think we r analyzing too much on the matters of chi...
    -TkdWarrior-

15. ZillaBilla

ZillaBilla Banned Banned

Hey Bear,

Thanks for the chill pill, I will now approach this matter in the form of a sloth on valium. With regards to ‘theology’, the comments I made were all on a theological grounding, though I see how it can be seen that I was taking it in a scientific manner. Now the reason you may have detected a bit of cynicism in my comments towards ‘Littlest Bunny Rabbit’ and his clue stick, is firstly we are in an IMA forum not a Theology vs Science discussion group, so when someone comes along and egotistically, as can be seen through Bunnies writing, tries to discredit a topic of which he appears to have no knowledge of. Well, it makes it look like an ignorant and self aggrandising individual is trying to make his head even bigger than what it appears to be. Thus, it makes me want to balance the situation out for everyone’s benefit, or perhaps greedily my own. Which in turn brings me back to Bunnies most recent post “What do either of these have to do with your misuse of science and atomic theory?”. Firstly it looks like Bunny has jumped on to the Bear’s band wagon, understandable since he’s so self-centered, and since we’ve already established that this forum is more theological than scientific, the band wagon jumping was not good enough even for such a springy rabbit. Since Bunny’s question is no longer relevant, I will continue to demonstrate the relevance of my questions posed to Bunny. If you don’t know what you are, of what importance is anything else? Dam, now see what you made me do rabbit, now I’m the egotistical, self aggrandizing Zilla.

16. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Oh, ouchie. I'm stung to the quick by your comments, mortally wounded. I find it interesting that you've resorted to name-calling, but there we go.

As to having no knowledge on the subject. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't necessarily mean they have no knowledge. You'll find that I'm quite happy to accept some people's accounts of chi, and not others. Yours was one of the ones I wasn't happy to accept since you were trying to put forward an invalid scientific view. If you'd left out the comments about energy and atoms I'd probably have let the whole matter lie.

As far as I am concerned, my personal opinion is that chi is a high level of biomechanics. Proper body alignment and motion can do some incredible things, which don't need a mystical force brought in to explain.

To this forum being more theological than scientific then I'm afraid we disagree on a very basic level. I view all martial arts, both internal and external, as being highly scientific. It is possible to analyze the motions in a technique, using science, and use that knowledge to try and improve a technique. That'd be science. If you want a theological debate I recommend the philosophy forum, if you want a debate on internal martial arts then you might want to stay here. Just be prepared for people to disagree with what you think internal martial arts are.

17. MartialArtsSnob

MartialArtsSnob New Member

Don't sweat it Zilla, I am quite sure that The Bunny will chime in any second now and tell us the Truth about Qi. I can't wait since I have been looking for someone with answers for quite some time now...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................still waiting................................................................................................................................Oh enlightened bunny wabbit..........

Maybe Elmer finally got lucky.

18. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

While we're waiting could you by any chance give me one iota of non-anecdotal evidence that qi actually exists at all as something other than advanced biomechanics and technical excellence?

19. ZillaBilla

ZillaBilla Banned Banned

Oh great the old you’ve resorted to name calling line. No, not really Bunny, I’ve resorted to observing your behavior and the mood of your comments, which are as per my previous post, generally unfriendly. And no there not unfriendly because you disagree, they are unfriendly because of your mood. Anyway, I will believe that which I have seen and felt, you can believe anything you want. But the fact of the matter is an individual asked for an opinion and he got it, then you bounce along and start trying to discredit opinions that are not yours to discredit, you’re free to voice you’re opinion just like anyone, in this country anyway, but if you chose to be unfriendly or hostile, that is what you will get back, so, enjoy the fruits of your labor. Furthermore, you seem to have plenty of comments but no answers, and why have you not commented or answered my questions to you yet “If you don’t know what you are, of what importance is anything else?”. Lost for words?

20. ZillaBilla

ZillaBilla Banned Banned

Quote:
    When you eat and breath you take energy, thus you take Qi.

No you don't. You take on board the chemicals required for respiration, which is the first step in a long process that eventually produces a chemical called ATP which causes muscle fibers to contract. Where exactly along this point does the chemical energy contained in the food and air become Qi?

So, Bunny, collectively these processes produce energy, did I miss something?

Quote:
    The difference between expending energy and conserving is also Qi, because it is a matter of energy.

I don't see that this actually makes sense at all. You're saying that Qi is a measure of work done in an energy-exchange process?

No, I’m saying, if there is potential for conserving or expending energy than, that potential is also energy, whether positive or negative.

Quote:
    Most things we come across are made up of atoms, an atom is energy, it has a positive charge and a negative charge, in-between the two is a neutral charge.

Firstly yes, matter-energy equivalency does exist, but while they are interchangable that does not mean that an atom is energy. Yes, there's a lot of debate about this, and various theories, but we still have matter and energy as separate concepts.

As to the positive and negative charge, there are thousands of different elements, all of which have a different atomic structure. Some of these do contain neutrons, which do not have a neutral charge, but have no charge, this is not the same thing as having a neutral charge. Then for even more fun we can play with isotopes, which are variants on the same atomic structure. And of course you can always add or remove electrons to alter the charge, again preventing the atom from being neutral.

If we split an atom, we get a big boom, or release energy, right? I’m no physicist/chemist, but as you yourself say “there's a lot of debate about this, and various theories”, in other words you don’t know.

Quote:
    Human thinking and language is dualistic, there is no right or wrong, because there is both right and wrong, existing at the same time and individually.

But there is right and wrong, as they're an aspect of human thinking rather than actual objects. They are abstract concepts, and have as much meaning as you want to give them. Besides, human thinking isn't purely dualistic, neither is human language, unless you only ever pay attention to the most basic levels.

You just proved my point with your subjective rant.

Quote:
    Internal martial arts allow you (through constant practice, unless you’re special) to use consciousness or parts of the mind that are non dualistic, but can see and experience existence in a singular neutral manner without being skewed to either side or extreme (in Taoism known as the primordial), this state of mind allows you to perceive without judgment/bias, this in turn allows you the state of mind that can be trained to control energy or Qi.

So in other words it allows you to be objective, and this supposedly gives you psychic control over energy? Somehow I doubt that.

Well, if you read properly it says “this in turn allows you the state of mind that can be trained to control energy or Qi”, so, I guess you cant read properly.

Quote:
    But, this is all very mish mash and in reality, no amount of explanation can be used to explain this, only experience.

How convenient, so there's no way to study it but to actually learn it. And if you go through all of the teaching and careful studying and still don't get it, then evidently you're not 'enlightened' enough, because obviously it works. The guy next door told me so.

So, me admitting that my explanation is not very understandable because the nature of the subject at hand is such. Thus, you think I’m taking some easy way out. Hmmm, you don’t know much about this topic, do you?