what is buakaw doing?

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Ikken Hisatsu, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

i recently watched buakaws fight against virgil in k-1, and his fight against pique in holland.

against virgil, a boxer, he basically traded punches (pretty well too) and threw some mid kicks and knees. the whole fight i was thinking "hes a boxer, WHY THE HELL dont you kick his legs out"

then i watched his fight against pique which was i think a month or so before his virgil fight, and under full thai rules. if you didnt know it was buakaw you would be forgiven for thinking they were two different fighters- he used his teep almost constantly and beat the crap out of piques legs and body with kicks. it was like watching his first k-1 fights.

The thing I dont get is why this changeover to more boxing, obviously the judges arent too keen on it since they made him go another round with virgil (although they always do out of some hope he will get knocked out) when he can quite clearly use other methods. no sense, it makes.

2. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

I would probably support you on this, however I dont know what channel K-1 is on.
    so what channel would K-1 be on? is it on ESPN? or do you have to order it special?

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Haven't seen the match that you speak of Ikken - but not too long ago he was at Jocky Gym in Bangkok when I was there... lol - actually he was there first. :p

But he spent the majority of the week that I was working his kicks and knee's. He didn't spend very much time working his fists.

Maybe he thinks he should be working on the lesser part of his game?

4. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

Actually, his fight vs. Pique was 2 weeks before his fight vs. Virgil.

I'm wondering if he was still a little beat up from his fight against Pique. He did take some shots early. Pique was landing some leg kicks. Perhaps Buakaw's legs were still a little shot? I have yet to see the whole fight of his vs. Virgil... only the 1st round. The 1st round looked good to me, but those I know who saw the rest of the fight said he REALLY GASSED! Upon finding out that he had fought against Pique 2 weeks before (and having seen the fight) I can't help wondering if he was just a little too beat up?

I have no idea if my hypothesis is even close to the truth. Who knows? Maybe he just let himself get sucked into fighting Virgil's game? I think that can happen to the absolute best of us....

5. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

true but he seems to do the same in all his k-1 fights- leaves the leg kicks at home even though half the guys in k-1 arent that great at defending against them.

I didnt know it was 2 weeks- I thought the k-1 had a 1 month rule between fights regardless of the organisation? and yeah he took some heavy shots from pique in that fight, would make sense

6. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

I think its the WMC (and other Thai organizations) that have the 1 month rule, though I find it kinda odd considering that I know of a number of fighters that have fought multiple times in the same day!!! (Granted, it was many years ago)

I also believe that the rules may screw with Buakaw's head more than we may understand. K-1 sanctions both full MuayThai matches and their "K-1" rules matches. Buakaw constantly going back-n-forth between the two fight styles on obvious short notice has gotta be mentally taxing.

For instance, I once fought in a Full Contact kickboxing match. Even though I trained specifically for it for 2 months, once I got into the ring, my MuayThai training really started to take over, and I had to consciously force myself not to clinch & knee. It made me hesitant to strike at all, and I ended up getting my face beaten in.

Buakaw is fighting back n forth under different rulesets much more regularly than I did, so I'm sure he experiences some of the same issues.

7. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

buakow isnt the only thai fighter not to use the low kick,its not the style in thailand as a rule anymore,body kicks n clinch the order of the day so as to keep the fight going for 5 rounds,im suprised that you guys say he boxed a lot in one bout(i didnt see it) coz his kicks and knees are by far his best weapons imho :)