What is a TKD practitioner called?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Mitlov, Sep 4, 2009.

1. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

This is humor,right?

2. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

LOL.. biyatch

3. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

That is actually how many Koreans will ask Stuart. IE: How long have you been a TKD player? Or: Do you still play TKD regularly?

But I think they do the same in Judo.

4. shootodog

shootodog restless native

jin. taekwondojin. shaken not stirred ;)

5. Theforgotten

Theforgotten Drifting Aimlessly

I am pretty sure that it is pronounced Taekwondo-In as in "Taekwondo" then "EEN". At least, that is how my Korean instructors pronounced it. Taekwondoink, LMAO, good one, Fish!

6. YoungMan68

YoungMan68 Valued Member

I've never heard of a Taekwondo practitioner called by a standard defined name. I've heard Taekwondoist, Taekwondo practioner, and Taekwondo man. I like Taekwondoist myself.
    And just because the ITF uses a particular term does not mean it's universal.

7. Theforgotten

I have always heard Taekwondo-In, both in the ITF dojang that I trained in and in the WTF dojang that I trained in. "In" is something along the lines of student in Korean, so I can certainly see why it would be used. Taekwondoist is pretty cool, though it has a more western ring to it, such as pianist. Whatever makes you happy, I guess. The official term that I was told was Taekwondo-In, with a Hapkido practitioner being a Hapkido-In, and a Tang Soo Do practitioner being a Tang Soo Do-In, etc. etc.

8. Theforgotten

Heh, no problem, and I wasn't insinuating as such. Given the tone of your recent posts, do you have some vendetta against the ITF or something?

9. StuartA

I refer to myself as a Taekwondoist as well. I have heard the other terms and simply dont like them.

Stuart

Ps. ITF people, afaia use varying terms themselves!

10. dark belt

dark belt Valued Member

Most Tae Kwon Doists are called teenagers. ;)

11. YoungMan68

YoungMan68 Valued Member

I've nothing against the ITF except for the fact that too often they think their version of Tae Kwon Do IS Tae Kwon Do.

Many Tae Kwon Do students are teenagers because that's the best time to start. That's when I started.

12. johntm

johntm TKD Beast

That's when I started...still am a teenager actually...

13. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

Yes I think this is true. Most in SK view TKD as a sport. There is a good reason for it. The Korean Tae Soo Do Association developed unique sports sparring rules so they would be seen as different from their obvious kararte roots. Later they formed the KKW & the WTF which all pushed TKD as a martial sport, that was so successful that it became an Olympic sport. So players participate in their sports by playing their sport, don't they?

14. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

Just because you haven't heard it, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. The term used by the ITF is Taekwondoin. I also think the founder of the ITF, who came up with the term TKD would know best what the term is to refer to one who practices the Art he named & used before anyone else, don't ya think?

15. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

I agree with you. I also think that this is a bad point of view to have. it is also silly. I can tell you where I think it comes from; right from the top. Gen Choi named TKD. he also had a new system that he devised, with the help of many, constantly developing it so it would become different from the obvious karate roots from where it came from. Since he named it & had his way of doing it, he said others that did a MA & called it TKD, were not doing TKD, unless of course they were doing what he was. This to me is silly.

The better arguement or stance to take imo is that he named it. He then was busy making a system that he called TKD from 1955 onward. No one else called what they were doing TKD. They called it Tangsudo, kwonbup, kongsodo, taesoodo, subakdo, with others not calling or using the name TKD till 1965, 1971, 72, 73 & finally all coming under the banner in 1978. So he has a point, but the point, again imo is that they didn't call what they were doing TKD till 10 years, up to 23 years after he used the name almost exclusively. The ITFers, would be much better off by simply saying that we do original TKD. JMO

16. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

replace choi with lee and T with J, and you get a very funny although not 100% fitting coincidence

17. TaeKwonDavid

TaeKwonDavid Valued Member

Personally I use practitioner when referring to any martial art because I think it nicely sums up what it is the taekwondoin/ist/oing/insert preferred term does. We do practise our art. I can't think that any other verb really works. Play? No. Study? Yes, but only if you're the student. Practise? Everyone practises. Teacher, student, everyone preactises the art in order to perfect it. I would refer to myself as a practitioner of Tae Kwon Do.

18. StuartA

So he`ll call us all 'Taekwondoizzles' :)

19. StuartA

I know.. but Im not Korean and I don't 'play' TKD! :)

20. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

弟子/제자/Jeja means disciple. It implies a relationship, rather than a status.