what is a real ninja?

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Tsing Tao, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Ninjabucky

Ninjabucky New Member

So destroying pplwho want to harm you is ok then

I think, therefore i am, i destroy therefore i endure

2. DrUnKNiNjA

DrUnKNiNjA New Member

destroying people

a martial artist that is pure to his martial art knows when his life is threatend, most of the time its just bodily harm people want to do to you, but when a weapon is involved that means, ok this is now a life threatening situation its kill or be killed, or
    if your family is taken hostage, you know situations like that.....

human life is too precious to throw away or take away i would always try talking before fighting and i believe you should too NinjaBucky

3. Zankuro

Zankuro Valued Member

Historically, an actual ninja was generally from the 'untouchable' class, and was trained specifically for the task they were to perform. They would poison, gather information, assasinate, etc.. but were the grunts of a spy network.

What most people think of as ninja were really rural samurai. If you asked a samurai if he were a ninja, it could be considered grounds for him to kill you.

The black body uniform actually originated from the movers in kabuki theater. True ninja didn't wear the infamous sabel garb.;)

4. SilentNightfall

SilentNightfall Eien no Ninja

And actually, Ninja were not historically assassins. The Ninja originated in the mountainous regions of Japan where the people were cut off from the rest of society. Ninjutsu developed as a means of survival against those who feared the Ninja and called for their extermination. Ninja were definitely not rural samurai. Totally different philosophy. Samurai were devout to the shogun or their daimyo. Ninja harmonized with their surroundings and only killed if need be to survive. Some Ninja did serve as military advisors in war-time, however, and were used for information gathering as well. The assassin bit is just the work os literature of the times that depicted Ninja as killers. Hope this helps clear things up.

5. DrUnKNiNjA

DrUnKNiNjA New Member

Ninja History

you read and wrote my mind Silent:) :)

6. SilentNightfall

Great minds think alike, no?

7. DrUnKNiNjA

DrUnKNiNjA New Member

but fools never differ, ;)

8. Taiso

Taiso New Member

I think that you can never actually call yourself a ninja without changing what it is. Which where people who used unorthodox strategies for their time and kept their art to themselves living in remote who started training from 4-5 areas using their skills for variouus things eg. information gathering or even assasination and if their identity was discovered it would mean death. So can actully really call themselves a true ninja in the modern world as it is today.

9. SilentNightfall

Once again, the assassination bit is incorrect. Ninja killed only when it was necessary.

10. Taiso

Taiso New Member

that is what i meant the so-called ninja who were assassins tended to be rogue ninjas or as stephen k hayes says "thugs in black garb" although there were some great ninja bandit heroes such as Sasuke Sarutobi and Goeman Ishikawa

11. SilentNightfall

Yes, that is a correct statement. After war-time, there were a few rogues who did hire themselves out for their skills and some did, in fact, take up assassination jobs. This, however, is not what the true Ninja lived for.

12. Taiso

Taiso New Member

yes as the shogun tokugawa rule brought peace to japan it strangely peace rather than battle that pretty much destroyed the ninja of old.