What instrument do you play?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Pepsi32123, May 31, 2004.

?

What instrument do you play?

1. Guitar/Bass Guitar

196 vote(s)
    50.8%
  2. Band Drums

27 vote(s)
    7.0%
  3. Stringed (violin, viola, chello, bass, ect...)

21 vote(s)
    5.4%
  4. Piano

42 vote(s)
    10.9%
  5. Woodwind

34 vote(s)
    8.8%
  6. Brass

22 vote(s)
    5.7%
  7. Handhelled (harmonica, okerina (sp?), ect...)

6 vote(s)
    1.6%
  8. Other (please specify)

38 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. Mufty

Mufty New Member

Hi Guys I play the Guitar Lead n Rythem n Bass, I have been playing since I was 8 years ols I mean I began to have an interest and played around with me dads guitar, and slowly got the hang of it.

I can sight read music but prefer that age old system of tab invented by the old Lute players.

My favorite music to play is the Blues n Rock. However I play Jazz, and classical music, When playing as a solist I like to play 'Early Music'.

I have been a session player and love working in the studio.

Although Gigging is fun when actually on stage playing I hate all the touring, and moving me gear in and out of venues, with small doors, and loads of stairs. Great when you got roadies though.

Hey av you noticed that in most pub venues the stage is next to the loo or was that just me a bit over the top one night ???? :D

Last edited: Oct 10, 2005
  2. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I play guitar. I have an Ibanez RG570 with DiMarzio Evolutions (they're getting replaced soon, I'm bored with the way they sound) and a Gibson Gothic Series Explorer (original run). I've just got a shiny new Line 6 Flextone III XL212 combo for them too (my neighbours want me dead) and I'm looking at maybe getting a Hamer Archtop in the next couple of months
    I've been playing for about ten years, have played in a few bands and am currently involved in a very embryonic noise/ ambient/ metal kinda project at the moment (think Neurosis meets Cult of Luna with a touch of Soundgarden)

3. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

I play the drums, however I haven't played for ages. Since then I moved on to a couple of turntables... and I like them fine I might add. :D

4. komuso

komuso Valued Member

Hi Peacemaker,

shakuhachi or shinobui? I have been learning (struggling) with the shak for a while now. Are you learning formally or on your own?

5. b3n

b3n New Member

I play the trumpet. :)

6. Xoxi

Xoxi Valued Member

Guitar :love:

7. Peacemaker

Peacemaker New Member

A friend of mine gave me a shakuhachi a few years ago, and I really fell in love with it. I mostly practice by myself, though I'd really like to find a teacher.
    I know how it feels, it's not as easy as it seems. The shak is so simple it is complicated. :) Are you learning by yourself or formally? How long have you been learning?

-Peace

8. komuso

komuso Valued Member

Hi Peacemaker,

I am lucky enough to have a Japanese master player living in my city, and have been getting lessons for about four and a half years. Still very much the begginer though, he regularly tells me that things will make sense "in eight years or so.." But I love it, and my teacher has just brought me back a beautiful new flute from Japan, so I am going through new instrument infatuation as we speak.

You should be able to find a teacher near where you are, there are quite a few in the US from what I understand. Hop over to www.shakuhachi.com, and have a look in the teacher, or subscribe to one of the forums there and ask about. People are usually very freindly and supportive of others with this sort of weird musical habit.

And apparently, back in the old days shakuhachi were even good for giving people a good whacking with, I do like a musical instrument that can be used for violent counterpoint.

9. linnetsmith

linnetsmith Extremly Valued member..

i'm affraid the best i can play is teh keybord and badly, i can play teh recorder if thats any good

10. monorey

monorey New Member

I've been playing the trombone for six years now. I was thinking about also taking piano lessons because it's a great all around instrument.

11. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

I'm a HUGE piano nutcase. I almost live on my piano.

12. ryanthegecko

ryanthegecko New Member

I play Guitar, bass, didgeridoo bit of keys and hand drum and also do production/composition and sing a bit. I love music esp. IDM/electronica and alt rock.

13. gogz

gogz Crom!

I play guitar, bass guitar, and piano :)

gogz

14. reikislapper

reikislapper see you on the flypaper

I have a guitar which I can play a few cords on, I'm not very good but I intend to learn lol.
    I'm better with a drum though but I don't tell many folk about this area as I used to play quite a few instruments while I was at school but it's a long time ago. I was even in a church choir once but I'm sure I can reach the highest notes again and I do have a practice session every so often when I visit the Blue John mines near where I live lol. They do encourage people to sing there if you have been in a church choir lol.
    lisa xx

15. Jack

Jack Valued Member

I play sitar.

DYAAaAOOoOOoOoo....Tinggg--ngg-ngg-nggg....

ahhh :love:

16. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Same here ;)

Is it "Smoke on the Water" or "Stairway to Heaven" ??? ;) :bang:

17. Dojo

Dojo Shotokan fanatic

Back in the Ancient times when I was 17 I would play the guitar. Now I just listen to music and talk about it :)

... for kick chick .. it's smoke on the water I think. Yes have the Owner of the lonely heart .. starts like Smoke on the water .. I'd always confuse one for the other :)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2005
  18. Alberta

Alberta A legend in my own mind.

i play the flute

19. niclans

niclans Valued Member

I was a Grade Six Organ student, still playing and am i damn good or what. Learning to play the guitar and piano now. A nice relief from MA training hehe.

20. Rhino

Rhino New Member

drums - not very good though :(