what inspires the Seni in Silat

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Raden-Rahmat, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Raden-Rahmat

Raden-Rahmat Valued Member

i recently posted on another thread...think it was related to chinese arts and the comments i saw were rather applicable...but for the sake of gaining insight...lets see what our Silat Council has on offer...

basically what inspired the movement in Silat...not referring to movement when attacking but the movements during your Hormat Perguruan....i dont know what esle to call it...but its your school signature or even your solo movements...its very aesthetic, very soft, very hidden, very mysterious...
    what are your findings on this or waht have been told about it???

dont blame me if this branches out but i have a feeling we'll be threading...lol...and sorry ppl, i was absent because i had another son offered to me from Above...so my time was spent productively...but im back on track and abusing my Mc-Forumee status hehe:topic::topic:

2. Pekir

Pekir Valued Member

'...but its your school signature or even your solo movements...its very aesthetic, very soft, very hidden, very mysterious..."

Nothing mysterious in our perguruan. We just put the left fist in our covering right hand and we start....

3. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

Generally, a bit of a stretch, a yawn, scratch the buttock followed by a burp or two ... :hat:

4. Saiful Azraq

Saiful Azraq Valued Member

Salam hormat,

Pak Krisno. I sense your boredom :rolleyes:

Raden-Rahmat, the Hormat Perguruan, Salam Perguruan, Sembah Perguruan, Sembah Salam, Bunga Pembuka or whatever they are called have different contexts and meanings in different perguruan.

Some perguruan claim that it is nothing more than 'adab menyembah' to the guru, guests, royalty and anyone deserving respect. It was created for that particular purpose.

Other perguruan claim that the whole essence of their arts reside in that form, thus giving rise to the urban legend that a true master can divine the whole of a particular style by simply watching the form. Practically, however, most masters I've met scoff at this, simply because it means purposely giving away their secrets to strangers.

I know of one particular northern style that purposely modified an oriental form for performance purposes only, which differs 100% (maybe 75%, I dunno, 100 just sounded more dramatic) from what they actually teach.

I agree that these movements are often accorded signature status and are an identifier if not an upfront differentiator from other styles, but as to its mystery? Depends on how the master sells it.

I had some very practical masters who called a kick a kick, but still allowed for some very powerful eureka moments. I've also had colleagues who read (past tense) too much into these forms which caused my master to scratch his head ("Even I didn't think of that").

Now that that's said, I'll actually attempt to answer your question :)

1. Silat Cekak Hanafi - A nod, nothing more (gasp!). A recent innovation.

2. Silat Kalimah - None that I know of.

3. Silat Sendeng Haji Hamid - Lela Sembah (from 0:24) A very kuntau-looking sembah at the beginning of Pecah 4 and flowing sembahs at the beginning of Pecahs 6, 8, 8 toya and 16.

4. Silat Kuntau Tekpi - A pelebat that... oh, just watch this. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrXFRKAvIEw"]Silat Kuntau Tekpi Training Form (Pelebat) - YouTube[/ame] The pelebat is supposed to contain every movement taught in the first three levels of the syllabus and it is encouraged to practise this often to program the body to instinctively move through the buah.

5. Silat Melayu Keris Lok 9 - Loks 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9 [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxrykswZiC8&"]keris melayu lok9 - YouTube[/ame] Supposed to contain the whole of the Silat Melayu Keris Lok 9 syllabus.

Salam persilatan,