What if.... (part 1)

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Judderman, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Jut

Jut New Member

how about "man not now, i just finished nailing your wife and I'm exausted" :Angel:

whoever mentioned it before though......... "i dont want any trouble" usually translates into the above.

2. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Now they shove you hard. Shouting "SO?". Their face is flushed red.

What now?

3. Vajra_guru

Vajra_guru New Member

im guessing not things like, "look, get lost or i'll beat you up!"

4. Vajra_guru

Vajra_guru New Member

woops bit l8 of me

5. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

It might not be as silly a suggestion as you think Vajra. I'll post more when some more have replied...

6. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

As soon as that shove comes the fight is on. And since my hands were up in a non violent postition, I'd covert them to a SPEAR (a forward wedging position) and hit the guy across the chest and arm when the shove came. From there I'd continue to move forward through the person and take them to the floor.

The rational for this is that a lot of the time a shove is followed by a strike. And I'm not going to let anyone get that much of a jump on me. I don't want to risk defending a strike while recovering from a shove.

So I consider the shove to be a violent attack and react accordingly.

- Matt

7. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

Do nothing.

He is free to mouth words in your general direction.

Have another beer. :)

8. Nevada_MO_Guy

Look at him and smile. :)

Say "Hola hijo de puta....no hable ingles"

Hold your hands up in confusion :confused: and wait.

9. Nevada_MO_Guy

Dang, that shove shouldn't have got through....I had my hands up for a perfect "twisting serpent" move....oh well....

Since he shoved me...I am now a bit farther away from him and maybe someone has witnessed the 'first' physical altercation.

Ok, no damage done.

I now have an idea of his strength, speed and coordination.

Hold hands up......saying "no....no....please"

(remind myself to train on twisting serpent more)

Wait.

10. tang_sou_dao

tang_sou_dao YoU cAnT sEe Me!

well once he starts to shove its fairly obvious he aint gonna back out now, while holdin ur hands in guard an engage his brain by askin him a question, e.g whered u get them shoes them lay him out with one helluva sucker punch

11. Vajra_guru

Vajra_guru New Member

last night i had a strange situation like this with a drunk 13 year old girl on the way home from the pub with 2 of my friends (we are all 18). She insulted me for no reason so i laughed and she proceded to insist that insulting me was fine but laughing at her was not! the hypocracy and just plain stupudity of this girl was amazing!

She then proceded to ask me that if she punched me would i press charges, to which i could not hold back my laughter and said i had no problem with her and i wouldnt let you hit me anyway. Her friend eventually pulled her away while continuing to insult my glasses :'(. The whole thing was quite funny.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2004
  12. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Remember that beer I mentioned? Here's where it comes into play.
    I'm going to have causualy kept an eye on him and anyone else who seems interested (assuming he's alone in his actions). I'm going with the push dropping my left arm over his hands while delivering a back-knuckle to the nose with the beer mug and immediately follow by forcefully introducing the mug to his mastoid bone. Paying the tab and heading out ASAP.

The scary thing is that I've actually done this before. :eek:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2004
  13. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Some very intersting responses.

Let us assume that the shove has connected and pushed you back a little. You still have your balance. Your opponent has not approached and is still red in the face, shouting at you. You notice they brush their hair back with their hand.

What action do you take?

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

He was actually toast when he approached me, but I'll take my response from here:

His hand moves back, my attack goes in. Either a strike to the exposed jaw or (as happened recently) go for a chokehold and put him to sleep.

Personally a quick flash of my warrant card and a "now F*** off" usually works wonders.

Judd's - I see where you are taking this with waiting for responses. Good idea and it is interesting to see how it will pan out.

15. Nevada_MO_Guy

He has been drinking....I've been drinking....best to not provoke.

There is distance.....so no threat.
    There is intent...he pushed.
    There is no means....he doesn't have the means to cause harm, since he is just shouting and not coming at me.

I'm going to go have a beer.

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Wrong!

He is close so there is distance =THREAT

He has shouted at you = ASSAULT

He has made bodily contact = ASSAULT+ BATTERY(s.36 "common Assault")

The above also prove the intent = MENS REA

The fact he has pushed proves ability = ACTUS REUS

He is very much an immediate threat and should be dealt with NOW

The question is back to how do you do it?

17. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

I've had this happen to me a couple of times and I found that if I pretended to ignore them from the very start then it gave them little opportunity to cause any problems but the other thing I find helps is if you pretend to be quite deaf, lean towards them, turn your head away from them, shout What? Cant hear you mate, whats that? And pretend to misunderstand what he's saying, give him directions to the toilet or the time or something like that.

Of course this isn't always going to work, you have got to rely a little on your gut feeling, leaning forward and putting a hand to your ear puts your head in a good position to be taken off so if you think the guy is hyped up enough to start swinging first chance he gets then dont do this.

Jut: To reply to your idea about friends fetching bouncers then this is the LAST thing I would want to happen, I have had 3 friends seriously hurt in bar brawls and 2 of them where hurt by bouncers jumping in and smacking them around when trouble started from situations virtually identical to this one we dscuss here and now. I dont know many clubs in Newcastle where this isnt the case, in my experience (Bar the nice ones I meet here on MAP :D ) bouncers are a bad way for things to go. Over the last year I have only heard two stories about bar brawls and in both instances the peopole injured where injured when the bouncers threw them out.

18. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Whoops, should have read the whole post there and not just the first page :D

When he tries to push me lead him into some aikido technique, they should work quite well against a commited shove though this assumes I react fast enough.

Is the guy biger than me? If he is really up close then going into long stance and pushing a smaller guy very hard should give me plenty of room to work and if he loses his balance or falls over then I can run away.

Also if I stumble far enough away from him then I may have the chance to run away.

Finally if neither of the above work then absouloutley laying into the guy sounds like a good option to me, if he is shoving you then I dont think that you have any chance of talking him down from a fight especially if he has arbitarily picked someone to start on when drunk.

19. Salidin

Salidin New Member

If I had to take him down after the shove, I'd get kind of close to him with my hands around chest level for two reasons:

a) to do some non-threatening gestures to distract him.
    b) If he does try a punch, i litereally just have to straighten my arm todeflect the blow.

I'd wait until it seems that there's no choice but to fight, and then do a simple low hook kick to the side of his knee. He won't be able to do much about this for several reasons:

a) I'm talking to him, so he'll be looking at my face and hands, not my feet.
    b) He's probably had too many anyway, his reactions aren't going to be lightning fast.
    c) When my hands are gesturing, they are deliberatly blocking his view of any movement lower down.

The Kick will send him down to one side and then I could either run, Get him in a hold and take him to the bartender or another member of staff and calmly explain he's starting trouble, Or just knock him out one way or another.

20. Nevada_MO_Guy

Ah....ok.....

How about holding my open left hand in front of me....chest level....while saying "I don't want any trouble, just want to leave"
    Right hand by my side.

I Walk toward him....using the open hand as a "trip" for a right groin snap kick. As soon as he touches my hand...or my hand touches him and he doesn't get out of the way.....BAMM....
    He bends forward and I pop him with a right.