What has mood to do with it?

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Rand86, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

I swear to you that today was supposed to be a rest day. Oh well... if wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets.

Instead I ended up doing a fair bit of manual labor and cycling 12 miles to get back home. I timed it out of habit - 1:06.

Pretty busy, that rest day was.

2. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I met a cow that "Moo'd"

3. Rand86

^ Good one! :cool:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  4. Rand86

Today I watched a kid run a race he had no chance of winning.

It was clear as the sky under which it took place. The two guys before him were so much taller that they had an advantage in stride alone; and the distance was relatively short so power probably counted for more than endurance - power which, skinny as he is, he had no means of generating.

You wouldn't know all that watching the kid go. He ran like it was the Olympics and he was aiming for the gold. He finished a strong third and looked as disappointed as he did exhausted when he crossed the finish line.

People may argue about the definition of "warrior spirit" but I know one thing - any definition that wouldn't encompass what I witnessed today is a definition I want no part of.

I didn't feel like working out today to be frank - too much chores supervising the race and the reception that followed. But I think I wouldn't have been able to face the kid tomorrow if I at least didn't give it an honest try.

So I did.

41 kg on the dumbbell

Clean and Jerk 10x1 in 9:24
    Snatch 10x1 in 8:16

BW Circuit, 5 reps of each, in 15:04. I added a 10 kg plate to the lunges just to see how it'd go.

First two rounds were 5 chin-ups, the third was 3, last two I could only barely squeeze out 1,5.

Well, that's two PBs in the bag and a circuit down the drain but you know what? I really don't care. Today's workout was as much, if not more, about that kid as it was about me - a kid who reminded me that there's really no excuse for not giving it all you've got every time you can.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Nice work on the PBs! :D

6. Rand86

Conditioning - Minute Drills...

... which I hereby rechristen to "'m nuts drills"

w/ a 10 kg plate

:30 Chest Press
    :30 Ginga in medium guard
    :30 Reverse Lunges w/ Twist
    :30 Cadeira (parallel postion) into Bote*
    :30 Saxon Side Bend
    :30 Rest
    x4

* [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN7zROI-wwI"]Bote, Capoeira technique from the Akban-wiki - YouTube[/ame]

Getting out of bed tomorrow sure ain't gonna be fun...

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  7. Rand86

Getting out of bed wasn't so bad actually but Jesus, do I have DOMS from hell now...

Rest day so far. I might do some practice later, provided everything below my navel doesn't fall off.

8. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Good man!

paz,

dormindo

9. Rand86

So. Just a bit of fun.

Ginga, ginga, ginga and then some more ginga;
    Meia lua de frente -> armada ->queixada -> martelo;
    Armada - > negativa - role - > meia lua de compasso (2-handed. Working on technique and control here);
    Esquiva lateral* -> negativa - > role -> closed au -> esquiva lateral (out and back)

* I'm trying to remember what it's called in my group but for the life of me I cannot; don't tell my instructor though. :vanish:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDFI8fngiGw"]Esquiva Lateral - YouTube[/ame]

Just two-three sets of each to get the blood flowing. Ai-ya, but my butt is sore today. :cry:

10. Rand86

After the nigh-mystical experience that was my last workout it's time to face the ugly reality yet again.

41 kg on the dumbbell

DB Clean and Push Press 1x1 (just to see if I could)

DB Clean and Jerk 9x1

in 12:44

DB Snatch 10x1

in 14:05

BW Circuit (5 reps of each)
    in 22:32

First two rounds were 5 chin-ups, third and fourth were 4/1, the final one was 3/1/1.

The whole workout was 0:58:42.

Well, looks like I have my work cut out for me. I'll focus on cutting down the time on the DB lifts and getting as many push-presses with that weight as I can. On the circuit front it's getting full five reps all across and cutting down the time to under 20 minutes.

Man, but it feels good to have it all written out and not having to worry about anything beyond getting the reps in. Honestly, do all those "variety" people even have lives outside of training?

11. Rand86

Gonna swap the order for a bit and take my rest day today. Still sore as... for whatever reason. Stay tuned though, good things are coming soon.

Played around with a handstand drill where you lift one leg vertically while keeping the other parallel to the floor, then switch them without setting your feet down. Could do it around three times in one go. I think I may throw it into the minute drills for something more strength oriented.

12. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

It is a sick looking style, would love to see it in the UFC.

13. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Hey, enjoying your log. What was the doms from? Are you doing all your olympic lifts with dumbbells or are you also using barbells?

14. Rand86

Look up Andre Gusmao and Jean Silva. I don't particularly like the former, and I haven't watched much of the latter BUT they're both cap guys.

Also, look up Marcus "Lelo" Aurelio's fight with Ken Tran. Brilliant fight for both guys.

Also, this:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1074500335&postcount=80

Enjoy. ;)

15. Rand86

Dumbbells. Don't have the funds nor the room for a proper Olympic barbell at the moment.

Many little things, I guess. Some days just are like that.

16. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Yeah, after monthly dues, tolls, gas, etc going to my school things get expensive. I can relate.

Have you tried it with sandbags yet? They are very inexpensive to make and awesome for martial artists to train with, especially Olympic lifts (which are critical IMHO). It is so inexpensive to add weight to them and without adding weight you are falling behind.

17. Rand86

I've tried snatching with a sandbag but it didn't feel right. I think shouldering is similar enough that scarce does it matter.

And I'd clean and press/jerk a sandbag all day if I could. Just the perfect combination of the implement and the exercise for me.

At any rate, I find it goes both ways - if I add weight to a sandbag I see improvement on the dumbbell and vice versa. Come to think about it, I'll probably need a longer dumbbell handle some time in the future. :rolleyes:

18. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I'm getting to that point with both my dumbbells and barbells! It sucks muchly!

19. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

It shouldn't feel right. It should feel more awkward and demand that you use less weight. That's ok. Have you tried another moves with a sandbag like around the worlds, etc?

You may want to save up for a barbell set. I am not sure where you are, but some people get lucky looking on e-bay, thrift stores and craig's list.

20. Rand86

It didn't feel right... how do I explain it? It didn't feel right in a wrong way. Not "hard and demanding" kind of way, more "this implement doesn't really fit this move" kind of way.

My experience, obviously.

I prefer stones and plates for ATWs, woodchoppers and such. Don't do them much anyway. I HAVE however come to quite like a reverse lunge with twist and a chest press, both done with a 10 kg plate.

One of these days who knows? As it is, it's a matter of space more than funding anyway.

I have my tools, I know my goals. For now, I am content.