What has MAP ever done for you?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Jim, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Jim

Jim New Member

I can say from my time here that MAP has opened my eyes a few times. I initially came here to research someone who was offering me membership to an organisation and stayed because the food was good. :D

During my stay I have;

* Changed completely my views on allowing students to cross-train (thank you Cain, Yoda, Andy M, Andy G, etc.),

* Tried some new stuff that people have suggested,

* Attended some other MA classes to broaden my knowledge (of the 'enemy' ;) ),

* Felt that I've HELPED PEOPLE, some unfortunately haven't kept us up to date of their progress and some have been chased off by trolls... but some have stayed,

* Made some friends :love: ,

and have quite a few things left to do that I won't allow trolls (or their subspecies - the quasi troll) to wreck!

Thanks Cooler for inventing us! In a strange kinda way we wouldn't exist if he hadn't come up with this forum. (oooh, a bit of philosophy right there)

2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Jeez, Jim where do I start. I've made a bunch of new friends I've never seen and never would have met if I hadn't been here. Like you, my eyes have been opened to many new worlds, viewpoints, and opinions regarding martial arts. I take what works, file what doesn't and consider the sources. You guys are are great, thank you.

3. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Map cosigned a loan for me, mowed my lawn over the summer, and rocked me to sleep last night.

4. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

MAP really brought me into the world of MA along with my instructor of course but he's the reason i'm here.

I never knew a lot about MA before i came here and MAP has taught me so much. Especially that there is so much more to learn.

I have made many many new friends on here many of whom i've been lucky enough to meet hopefully i will be able to meet more.

MAP has only been good for me.

5. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

MAP has aloowed me to find out about dozens of styles that I never would have heard of before, find new techniques for exercise and stretching, meet other people in my arts, and find out about the status of everything from styles to religion to politics half way around the world and back.

I love it here.

6. totality

totality New Member

MAP allows me take out my aggressions on innocent new members. it brings a tear to my eye just seeing you all here today.

7. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Well I can honestly say I wouldn't be involved in MA at all had it not been for MAP.

Shortly after Cooler started the forum, I came down with Bronchitis/Pnuemonia and ended up in hospital for a week, becoming chronically asthmatic for life. I also managed to snap an Achilles Tendon that had me in a cast for three months, and on Physio for a further 9 months. All of which severely hampered my training.

The support from members here truly made the difference to me. Emails of support, links to helpful websites, late night IM conversations with people keeping my spirits up.

A change in my job 4 years ago mean it's impossible for me to train in the manner many of you will do. I pick up my training as I travel around the country.

So far I've met around 40 members of this website personally, and trained with some of them too.

I've made friends

We organised a Charity seminar, and some other members have hooked up with each other too.

It's been inspiring to me, that what I thought was a segregated community, where people simply wouldn't be able to discuss their MA differences. I've found this site has provided the opposite.

MAP has also given me ambition. I have very definite plans as to what I want to acheive in MA with the years left to me. I only know what I want, having had my thought processes rearranged by the collective comments of the members here.

As Jim said, I like to think I've helped a few people along the way.

8. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Lots of advice, and lots of information.

PL

9. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

I got dragged on kicking and screaming :D

Good sounding board to bounce ideas off of, good way to see what dfferent people are doing.

Different people have influenced me into things, others have influenced me away from things.

Too bad the trolls have chased so many good people away, even the ones I never agreed with, I enjoy a good argument :D

10. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Ihve lernd tht peeps typ diffrent to evy1 all ova tha wrld!

Smtimes I CN jst abut underztand wht peeps r asking.

:D

1) Cemented in my head all the reasons for why and how I should train

2) Found out a lorra people DON'T like TKD :D :D :D

One year on, still here, still doing TKD, but loads of possibilities ahead ;)

11. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Definitely opened my eyes a few times as well! :)

Its given that more well balanced view of martial arts, whereas training at one club can make you narrow minded :rolleyes:

Also helped keep me interested in ma's along with meeting some interesting chracters along the way, its interesting to see members join the board and watch them and their veiws change. The sites definitely had impact on many fighters out there :woo:

12. morphus

morphus Doobrey

It's been emotional, it's been aggrivating, it's been funny, it's been sad, it's been scary, it's been great.

I've learned a hell of a lot too & helped a couple of people along the way i hope. Had my eyes opened, lost a bit of hair while i've been here(no fault of MAP, thats a natural family thing)

I think i'm in my toddler stage in martial arts - just learning to walk. I hope when i get to the teenage years in MAs it aren't as hard as my real teenage years(acne an all).

13. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I've had very much the same experience as all of you. "The food is good." I posted a thank-you in the aikido section in October 2003 for the good time I was having on MAP. Ditto that here for the general audience.

14. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

MAP actually gave me a new home when I was banned from being moderator at another forum... yeah who would have thought that!!! ;)

Anyway, MAP gave me the opportunity to keep helping out fellow martial artists with what little I know .... and has given me the opportunity to learn from others as well. I live by the rule that you can teach an old dog new tricks!

Talk about widening your horizons .... it truly is interesting to see how the "other half" lives, trains, eats, drinks, mocks, ... heck you name it!

15. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

It's like watching reality TV. You find out lots of things that you never thought possible...

...there's one right now...

16. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

You forgot to mention everyone sticking up for your sparring clips, to the point where a forum war erupted SS! ;)

17. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

Pretty much the same as everyone else, broadened my horizons from just TKD. Learnt a bit about all the different MA out there, some of the not-so-common ones, and have read some very interstin material, both on here, and recommended reading. I'm reading Angry White Pyjamas now (reseved it months ago :( ) a book I wouldneer have found by myself, and which is giving me a whole new perspective on training. Made friends, ruined my (already non-existant) social life :D

KickChick, you were banned???? Bad KC Bad KC (we love you anyway :D)