What happens if your in a fight and the Law?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Mtal, Apr 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Shamelessly reposted.

Plus I miss DB

2. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Hahaha! Seriously, I'm fairly good at awareness. If I have to be out alone I always scan in all directions for anyone who looks dangerous. If I see a group of chavs I duck into a supermarket or somewhere else safe. (Well, supermarkets used to be safe. A group of 8 boys once followed me into a supermarket screaming obscenities, and only stopped when the manager was called...)

Yup...the place is a toilet.

Even being in a taxi isn't safe. One time I was on the way home at night and this very drunk older guy started touching me. I completely freaked out, screamed blue murder, grabbed my lock knife flicked it open and waved it about an inch from his nose and told him if he touched me again I'd remove some of his vital organs. He didn't get my exact meaning, but he did understand the bloodcurdling screams and the sight of a knife blade, and he left me alone.

3. Jiu JitsuNation

Jiu JitsuNation Valued Member

In Tennessee the law is read "Perceived threat" which means if you truly feel threatened by an individual you have the right to defend yourself without being touched. You shouldn't have to wait till you are one step behind till you are "allowed" defend yourself. We are adults not children who have to be told what to do. If so and so can make the decision to provoke, so and so can reap what they sow. Which is the way it should be. A grown man who wants to run off at the mouth should be aware that not everyone is going to listen and may just blast your flapping lips. The talking smack is a juvenile thing to do, however it's also pretty consistent with most living things. Insecurity can make a person feel threatened, often times just the presence of another male that is a bit loud in appearance or just different than the other can cause a primitive response. The insecure individual puffs up tries to make himself appear larger, starts making noises and threats, just like in the animal kingdom. And just like animals who don't have the option of doctors, self preservation is hoping that display will be enough to back someone down because they don't really want to risk injury. So they posture, grunt, make a scene and hope the other male is bluffed. Now since we have a conscious we can just see through all that, punch them in the mouth and find out their true intentions. You wanna fight lets fight. You want to talk, eat you teeth.

Now back to the original scenario. In the presence of law enforcement you are in for a long night, even if found in the right. But not physically being watched most fights go unreported with no injuries or consequences.

4. Wolf3001

Wolf3001 Valued Member

Personal experience and other stuff. I was in a fight where I broke a guys ribs he was threatening to hit his wife and as things went on I confronted him by telling him if he hit her I would take his ass out. I felt maybe he would simply back off because many are big talkers but don't back it up. He charged me and threw me through a door I was not ready stupidity on my part. As I rolled off my back after falling a few feet off his porch I was up and ready. He came out rather fast and was coming towards me so I laid into him good with a roundhouse and a punch to his face. We exchanged blows in the dark a few times and then he backed off so we all left. His wife didn't want me to get the police involved but after the fight I thought it was the best course of action legally. I went in told the cops they took my report and photos of my bruises they knew who he was because he beat her in the past and they told me unless they seen the fight or whatever they couldn't do much. I have never heard a thing and don't care she later told my ex girlfriend who is friends with her that I broke a few of his ribs. I screwed up legally and got lucky in my opinion because I was on his property I really don't know what could have happened.

If someone is talking crap legally you should keep walking it's just the best course of action. I rarely give a hoot if anyone talks trash and you shouldn't worry about it but at that point be cautious of your surroundings obviously. I work late at night around town on Saturday's and have had people walk up to my car acting odd, People have asked me for cigarettes, I have had people drive past and shout crap or just talking Spanish as im going by. I just try to keep my mind clear and watch things. There had been muggings recently and increases in gang activity but I haven't had any issues yet just dogs. I carry a Beretta 9mm and have a CCW legally I better avoid fights if possible. If someone attacks you the best thing I can say is tell them forcefully to leave you alone that you don't want trouble. If you really want to stay safe give them what they want. If they take a swing legally you can hit them back but no more force than they have used. If they continue I would take it a bit further and try to get them knocked to the ground so I could get away. If they continue to attack and you feel you are in reasonable danger of serious harm I wouldn't hesitate to break their leg so I could run for it. If a guy pulled a knife im going to shoot his ass im only going to warn him once. I am working on mixing my unarmed techniques into a draw at close range.

In the end the cops assume all are guilty they hate domestic disputes and stuff because they can't tell who's lying and there may be no clear answer. Regardless of who was right you can also be sued for damages. I once read a story about a man who had a black belt in Karate. He was waiting for a train and was attacked by 3 teens with screwdrivers. He broke one kids arm and was sued for it. A guy broke into an old woman's home tripped on junk on her stairs broke his leg and then sued and won. I believe I heard about a dog who bit an intruder and even though he broke in the family's pet was put to sleep by order of the court. The laws suck your best defense is really to be the first to tell the police about the incident. It may help make you look less guilty if you call and say hay a guy tried to mug me and I was forced to fight back. He was coming at me and I thought I was going to be stabbed or whatever. Chances are a criminal will not go to police but if you hurt them who knows.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2012
  5. Lau

Lau 8-bit power

I can't say much about legalities on this particular subject here in The Netherlands as I've been lucky enough not to have to deal with them, in this way anyway.

What I do know for a fact is that dealing with burglars is a very touchy subject. Similar to what Wolf wrote above, the home owner can and will be held liable for injuries caused thru (self) defence if deemed beyond proportional, a very subjective standard to judge by indeed!

And from what I've heard it's no different with streetfights, any violence applied that's considered overdone will be punished by law (mind you most legal punishments here in NL are a laugh).

For me personally, I'd walk away anytime, even if it only were for the fact I'm no hero, nor am I even close to capable of defending myself using MA and knife stabbings are all too common, I'd prefer to stick around a bit longer to see my child grow up.

6. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

What we need is a Monkey Dance clause!

http://quantumdonuts.blogspot.com/2010/08/monkey-dance-rory-miller-meditations-on.html

7. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Locked pending discussion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.