What happened to Don Roley???

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Please reality, Mar 5, 2016.

1. pearsquasher

pearsquasher Valued Member

I don't see much wrong with PR's posts tbh. I fancy myself as being on-message when it comes to Japan training and what he says usually makes sense.

As for the OP.. you answered your own question: " ..seems to have gotten worse since he moved back to the States"

That's not a dig at the yanks, but an acknowledgment that not being connected to Japan causes taijutsu to suffer. Simple really and when you go back to the Japanese shihan, you know it completely

2. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I find that PR livens things up on here and I always find his posts to be thought provoking

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You know, perhaps you're right PR. Another moderator has suggested that I make it clear that this was a personal objective rather than one of moderation. I think she's right about that. There was never any threat of enforcement. I know you mentioned that I could do as I see fit. But there was never any threat of enforcement in my mind. I did mention being a moderator in the context of ignoring or not ignoring posts. And that's muddied the waters, which is my fault.

I stand by what I said. And we wouldn't have had this conversation so many times if I didn't think that you were capable of more than this. But this is what you want to do, and you're not in violation of anything. So, so be it. Whether I want something more from you is neither here nor there, ultimately.

So the question becomes whether this was a personal attack. And here's the best answer I can come up with: Yeah, it was. I'm frustrated by you, PR. That's the honest answer. As an individual, I'm frustrated at your approach to this topic. Generally, I'm able to keep that in perspective. But once in a while, I'm not. It feels needless to me. But, again, that's a personal objection, and should be treated as such.

I'm not above the rules as a mod, nor do I think it ought to fall to one of my colleagues to act on this. So you carry on as you see fit. I'll continue to dislike it, but that's my problem and not yours. In the mean time, I'm self banning. I don't know whether that's technologically possible. (We'll see) But I won't post, one way or another. I'm subject to the same rules as everyone else.

Follow your bliss.

4. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Thank you for your honesty. Like I said, I respect your opinion so no hard feelings here. I didn't start this post to create a whirlwind of angst, just saw some things I was disappointed in. Guess others might feel the same about RP. Perhaps a self ban isn't such a bad idea. The thread really wasn't going anywhere anyway, as only 4 posts had anything to do with the videos. Anyway, thanks again ap Oweyn. If only following the Takamatsuden easily led to bliss:meditate:

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

As my 2c I have said many times before that - as much as he cares for such things - I class PR as one of my MAP friends and respect his insights. Knowing what a grumpy old sod I am that is probably more damning than praising.....:)

We actually offline a lot of discussions and our interactions are always detailed and insightful. Having never seen him in action i cannot speak to his actual ability, but he absolutely knows what he is talking about to the point I genuinely believe it is born from experience and not theory

We do not always agree, but we have a mutual respect for the respective position of each other.

As frustrating as some may find his posting style I would find MAP less interesting without some of his posts, which always give pause for thought. Given my own caustic delivery I certainly cannot throw too many stones in this glass house :)

6. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

I find it sort of ironic that we are discussing PR and his anonymity, in a thread that is discussing Don Roley who was most famous for critiquing everyone and not showing his goods.
    Now in the end he posts a video and gets critiqued.

I argue with PR, less now I am not here as much. But I do respect what he has to say.
    I actually thought PR WAS Don Roley under a different alias as their MO was surprisingly similar.
    I respected Don too actually though back in my Indie days he was about a much a thorn in the side, funny sure PR and DR are not the same person !!

I agree with PR however the taijutsu is not what I would have expected at all.
    Although the comment that there are standards to go against, I might beg to differ. I think there are for a rule a great lack of standards.
    That in only my opinion based on experience

7. gtlaau

gtlaau Valued Member

Gold!

8. Crucio

Crucio Valued Member

I liked reading his posts (DR) and i like reading his translations and blogs. As far as his physical skills, i don't really care about someones skill that i don't train with, especially when it's in video form.

I think Don was one of the very few that brought value to Ninjutsu discussions.

9. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

A standard... now that is a novel idea :)