What game are you currently playing?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Kuma, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'm friends with you on facebook Lei. :)

Unreal Combat likes this.
  2. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

I recently started playing "Football, Tactics & Glory".

It is a really well done, indie studio turn-based tactics game with some strategic elements as well.
    You manage a soccer team (not American Football, this was made somewhere in Europe/UK/not sure), guiding development of your players & managing finances (not much; just pay for extending contracts, paying for transfers if you pick up new players that way, and upgrading certain things like your stadium capacity or youth academy quality).
    The main part of the game is the tactical soccer game. I have read of a few people who always simulate the games though and just focus on strategy: formation, where to put players within the formation (there are lots of options), etc.
    Countering skills are useful... e.g., players can learn "rainbow feint" to have a chance to get past a defender instead of dribbling (which uses different stats that you may be really bad at). You can have a goalkeeper or defender with 'reaction' skill though which counters the rainbow feint (depending on the level of your skill vs the feinter's skill, but you at least lower their odds of success even if lower level). Or 'Olympic kick' for trying to score off of corner kicks; goalies with some skill I forget the name of have a much better chance of blocking it.

Deciding which skill to train your players in is one of the strategic elements (players get an option of 3 skills, they learn one fast, one medium speed, and one really slow, you only get to choose 1).
    Deciding how to specialize your players is another: do you want a 'universal' class--they get a second skill & bonuses which are either always on or are on whenever they are in the larger area of their class (e.g., universal forwards get certain bonuses within an area near the opponents goal).
    A 'specialized' class is something like a center forward; they get only one skill, more specialized bonuses than the universal class, which tend to only activate in a smaller area. E.g., center forwards aren't very useful outside of the central lanes in front of the goal; going off to the side is possible, but they won't be as good.

Anyway, really addicting gameplay, it moves pretty fast.

Knee Rider and axelb like this.
  3. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I gave "Resident Evil VII" a try, to a) see if I can play it or get motion sick (so far I was fine, but didn't play much. Still not sure if I like the first-person-view in this game).
    And b) if I might like it.

I only just found the girl, but so far it's nicely done - but I think I only just scratched at the game, since I really didn't play long :D

4. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Downloaded 'Fortnite' on the Nintendo Switch, and it isn't bad at all. It doesn't have all the modes which are available on PC or the big consoles, but you don't really need them, you run around shooting things/people maybe axing the same things and people, possibly even throwing grenades at them too. It's fun in short bursts.

Also on the Nintendo Switch I am playing 'Street Fighter III: Third Strike' which is just one of the titles on the 'Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection' - childhood at its very best right there. Having said that, the original 'Street Fighter' is a tad duff nowadays for my liking...

axelb likes this.
  5. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

My girlfriend and I are playing Unravel 2. It's beautiful and actually brings us together more harmoniously than anything else in our tragically domesticated lives. Two big tarny thumbs up here.

For those with kids: I bet it's perfect.

axelb likes this.
  6. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I've been eyeing that one up. Those types of games go down well in our house :D

Knee Rider likes this.
  7. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

There's a second one?
    Damn, it's about time I finally play the first!

Knee Rider likes this.
  8. Knee Rider

Both are brill but 2 takes the cake for the sofa based co-op. It just adds so much. Also the puzzle system appears more streamlined.

Latikos and axelb like this.
  9. Steph23

Steph23 New Member

I'm playing tank trouble: and rooftop snipers:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2018
    axelb likes this.
  10. axelb

battlefield hardline was going cheap, so I had a play on that. very different to the other BF games, much more cops and robbers type action.

11. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Started playing Hellblade on the XB1, Love the use of surround sound showing her descent into madness and the art style but currently stuck on a level with the boss high above me on a wall and ended up circling around the level for some time trying to find a way up before turning my box off in frustration.. Also finishing my very long play through of Dragon's Age Inquisition which I might complete before I die of old age.

Knee Rider likes this.
  12. Knee Rider

Hellblade: Senua's sacrifice was awesome! Nice perspective puzzles, solid visceral combat (if a bit simple) and actually thought the bosses were decent and I usually hate boss battles... I'm looking at you Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Latikos and axelb like this.
  13. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Loving it so far, especially the use of sound Ended up stuck on a particular puzzle but planning on diving back in tomorrow as I have a free house so won't be disturbed by the Wife or my little one. Need to get back and finish Kingdom Come Deliverance as well. I have a habit of getting pretty far in a game than jumping to something else that takes my interest.

Knee Rider likes this.
  14. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

A friend of mine strongly advised a while ago to get get get(!!!) the game, because he was so mind struck from it.
    I always keep an eye out for it during sales, but so far I was to cheap to get it, when I saw it :oops:

I think I will give Resident Evil VII a try.

I also played "36 fragments of Midnight" and "Midnight Deluxe" yesterday; two short but fun games.
    The first is sort of a Jump'n'Run, the second is the sequel but more like a mixture of "Angry Birds" and geometrical "throwing" the little cube to get it into a shaft to finish the level.

I enjoyed both of them; simple but addictive and fun.

15. Knee Rider

I'm still playing kingdom come too. I've restarted a few times due to bugs and patches. Bit of a love-hate senario with the game to be honest.

Dan93 likes this.
  16. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Struggling with Kingdom Come. I was really excited for it and I do think some things they've done in it are great, but the performance is a really big kicker that's stopping me going back to it.

Other than that, I've finally got started on Europa Universalis, quite enjoying myself. Tried to give up my self respect and try Fortnite but my playstation sounds like a jet playing any games now. Girlfriend bought ARMA in the sale so it looks like I'm going to be getting back into that which I'm quite excited about.

Dan93 and Knee Rider like this.
  17. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Restarted once, glad I did after the most recent patch as I am a master at lockpicking now and with a few other tricks I find the game ten times better. New DLC is out today so that looks like the excuse I need.

Knee Rider likes this.
  18. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

So tried Kingdom Come again given the talk about it. Performance seems to have got noticeably better, even if one of the updates seems to have broken the saving mod. I do still like the game too, but some of the praise is lost on me a big one being the combat. I quit the game also because I got stuck on the duel with the fellow under the tree. Managed it today, but it showed me that despite a big part of the game's marketing being about the hard to learn and realistic combat system, its another game that boils down to waiting to press a button to counter. This is particularly true with boss fights in this game since they seem able to counter most of what you can do, so they're just a long drawn out experience of waiting for the green shield to come up and countering, and occasionally getting hit with a combo that's impossible to block.

The world is cool and feel's fairly grounded, especially for such a small studio, but still ultimately comes to little. Eating and sleeping is the same as any game with a needs bar. Much was promised about appearance effecting the game and while donning certain clothes changes your stats, I haven't seen it make any actual difference. I liked roleplaying it anyway but after getting really bored with how clunky and time consuming it is to change clothes/equipment, or to keep them clean/repaired I've started just walking around in my combat gear and it seems to make no difference besides maybe a different greeting. Much different to the marketing of intimidating people or being brushed off. Persuasion is ridiculously easy to get good at just through speech so you don't need the tiny buffs/negatives clothing and appearance seems to factor in anyway.

I do like the game. I genuinely do. I think it has some cool ideas and I think it was a very brave title to put out. At the same time though I struggle at the moment not to break down games into the fact they're just code and numbers and sequences and noting is actually truly organic which is part of the reason I'm not getting drawn in, but the other is that it just seems the features they sold the game on and got me so excited for it just don't really seem to be more than puddle deep.

Knee Rider likes this.
  19. Arthur Lake

Arthur Lake New Member

20. axelb

I tried out Paladins for the Switch.
    It's a free to play game (in game purchases) which is pretty much just like overwatch.

Over Cooked 2 arrived:

Played coop with my wife, it's got a few additional features, updated graphics, and online coop with local coop mixed in.
    Loads of mayhem and cooperation required. Great fun, shame there aren't more games like this.