What game are you currently playing?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Kuma, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Finally, finally, finally, jumped on the 'Fortnite' bandwagon on the PS4, and after queuing online for some 15 minutes, I finally got into the game (after having to sign up, blah, blah, blah) and found myself skydiving onto some island. From there I ran around, hit some things, found some guns, ran away from some storm thingy, and during the whole time I "played" I never saw a single other person.

I never got the chance to kill anyone, no one came at me or shot me from afar, yet down the side I was getting reports of "So and so has just machine gunned Thingymabob", "Whosit has just chopped You Know Who", but I never came across another player. Am I doing something wrong or are they just hiding in the bushes? :confused:

axelb likes this.
  2. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Its still as hard as nails but possible and less of an headache than fighting him close range, check out YT there is a few videos of it being done.

3. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Has anyone here played divinity: original sin? I'm considering it as I love a bit of tbs and hugely enjoyed shadow run: dragon fall. Can anyone give an opinion on how they compare?

4. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

I've played SR : Dragonfall & a bit of D:OS. (I can't put : and D together or it turns it into a smiley, even in the middle of SR:Dragonfall)

I probably didn't get far enough in D:OS to compare them though. I do this weird thing where I continually create new characters, play for an hour, and decide I want a slightly different character. I did that for a while, got to the first town, did some stuff, and then forgot about the game for a while. I keep meaning to go back to it but I think I'm unlikely to find time.

Dragonfall I got almost to the end of. It was decent. I forget why I didn't finish it. (I rarely finish/beat games in general.)

Knee Rider likes this.
  5. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Actually playing Divinity Original Sin at the moment on Xbox, It was sitting on my HDD for a while and I decided to give it a try and I am hooked, love the humour as you would expect from the Divinity series and being able to use the environments and abilities in combination, Pretty different from Shadow Run IMO turn based but that's where the similarities end IMO. Cant wait for DD2 which has been confirmed for consoles.

Knee Rider likes this.
  6. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

It's quite odd how you can play a game with 100 players, and see barely anyone until near the end.
    I've been playing it for a while, I find that in a game on average I get 1 or 2 kills, even when coming first??

It's much more of a survival game than a fps, my most successful strategy is collect loads of resource, collect weapons, follow the safe circle, hide and let everyone kill each other, then build a massive fortress in an attempt to waste the last opponent(s) ammo.

Chimpcheng likes this.
  7. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I thought a lot about getting Divinity: Original Sin but so far didn't do it.
    Now I'm tempted again.

I'm still on Lost Legacy; SP on crushing and collectables, trophies and such (still love it!), and also a bit the MP (Survival).
    I still think they kind of screwed it up compared to U2 & U3.
    I like the versions of Treasure Hunt and Marked Man in Co-op, but all in all the enemies are overpowered and it's not nearly as much fun as the others.
    I played more than 500 counted hours (probably don't want to know how many there are missing; I think it was only finished games and the stats were a bit buggy) on U3, tons as well on U2 but sadly I don't see me playing this one as much.

I will try to take a new look at U3 coop again though; hopefully there are still players and last time was just being weird!

Also: My Mom got me "Pillars of Eternity" for my birthday; luckily the game was finally at 30€, instead of 50€.
    Looking forward to play that.
    And hopefully will actually enjoy it also :D

Fish Of Doom and Knee Rider like this.
  8. Knee Rider

I was also considering 'pillars' BUT I never got on that great with the balders gate or Icewind dale series combat style and think I'd get merced immediately and just never go back to it.

9. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

I have Pillars of Eternity on my PC, gets me through many a night shift... Excellent game with a strong story and mechanics, really is the spiritual successor to Balder's Gate., Get the White March expansions when you do play, Expect a lot of reading which puts some people off but personally I love it as you get a more detailed view of the world, characters and lore.

10. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I am shamed to say so, but I don't remember much of Baldur's Gate, aside from totally enjoying it :oops:

The DLC is included, which I thought was nice.
    I don't usually mind reading, I just hope the writing is big enough, that I can read it properly :D

Dan93 likes this.
  11. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

Pillars is excellent! Currently on a play-through myself!

Also started exploring The Gods Must Be Watching, which is a point and click adventure about hard choices and consequences, that was originally a minimalist flash game on Kongregate, I believe, and then got expanded into a full PC game

12. Knee Rider

I enjoyed planescape but couldn't click with the real time combat in balders gate. Do you think pillars compares?

I found the pace and pause mechanism on planescape a lot more accessible.

13. Fish Of Doom

Baldur's gate also had pause, they use the same engine (Infinity Engine). Pillars uses the same real time with pause system, but there's more micromanagement as every class is full of special abilities.

axelb and Knee Rider like this.
  14. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I used that pause turn on the mobile version, as I couldn't keep up enough with BG/BG 2 on a tablet screen

15. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

With Pillars as Fish as said you can fight in real time but you have the option to slow down fight time as well as fights can get pretty chaotic. Also Rogue duel wield = destroyer of worlds.

Knee Rider likes this.
  16. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

[QUOTE=" The DLC is included, which I thought was nice.
    I don't usually mind reading, I just hope the writing is big enough, that I can read it properly :D[/QUOTE]

The DLC is included, which I thought was nice.
    I don't usually mind reading, I just hope the writing is big enough, that I can read it properly :D[/QUOTE]

Size of the writing is fine, Pillars was crowd funded and each backer has a NPC in the game with their own story and their pretty well written which I thought was pretty cool. I have only just started the DLC and I have been playing for a while. Looking forward to PoE 2.

17. Fish Of Doom

That too, I completely forgot! :p

Pillars has both a half-speed and a double speed mode (default hotkeys S and D respectively), the latter of which auto-deactivates when combat is entered (you'll generally want to fight on slow, anyway, but it IS a pretty nice detail as you'll be on fast for most/all non-combat situations).

Dan93 likes this.
  18. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

'God of War' on the PS4... BLIMEY!

I enjoyed the previous GOW games, and this latest iteration ramps up the awesome to levels unseen since, well, the last triple A game.

19. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Only watched a short trailer, because it's too expensive for me at release, but I already started drooling there, I think.
    So I downloaded the first game again; will play it at some point. But right now I want to do so many things :rolleyes::oops:

20. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'm a fan, in general, of turn-based tactics games. However I find many of them get boring for me after a little while, generally because the gameplay loop isn't designed to be fun enough.
    The gameplay loop needs to be really tight & polished for me to stick with a tactics game for a while.

Paradox game studio is one of my favorites of the modern studios. I find all the games they develop to be really well done, even if some of them aren't my cup of tea.
    I have also found that when they are the publisher of a game, that game is well polished and worth a look.

So with that background out of the way... I have a new addiction. This is why I haven't been exercising during my time out from class (arm infection). I also took some time off work to play...

"Battletech", the 2018 version.
    Turn based tactical combat with battlemechs.
    The gameplay is really good.

On the strategic side, managing your hangar of mechs is nice. You have full design capability, balancing weapons, ammo, armor, heatsinks, and mobility.
    The strategic side may impact your tactics as well. E.g., there is this attack where you use jump-jets to fly way up in the air and basically fall onto another Mech. This does lots of damage to the other mech, but it isn't great for your mech's legs... So you are likely going to need time & money to repair that mech before it is useful again.
    The equipment you buy & salvage also affects you--what you can load your mechs with, what strategies are available to you, etc.

On the tactical side, the gameplay is addictive. Your positioning & facing is important--it affects which armor sections are being hit by enemies. I like the tradeoffs of the different weapons. E.g., ballistic auto-cannon type weapons take up more room on the mech and require you to carry ammo (which can blow up inside you if hit...), but they don't generate much heat and tend to have decent range. Energy weapons don't need ammo but generate lots of heat. Missiles are good at destabilizing enemies... long range missiles are good harrassment, short range missles are like shotguns--massive damage, but you have to get in close.
    The heat & stability mechanics are also interesting. You have to manage your mechs' heat--if it gets too high your mech takes structural damage, and may also shut down for a full turn to vent heat. Stability is also important. You get unstable on certain terrain types, and some weapons deal stability damage too. If you get too unstable you won't be able to sprint, and you may get knocked over. Getting knocked over messes with your initiative & injures your pilot, and lets enemies make 'called shots' on you (targetting specific locations on the mech, instead of just firing at hitting what they hit).

Anyway, I recommend this to anyone who likes turn-based tactics games.