What forms of Ju Jitsu use kicks and punches?

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by TripleNut, Sep 18, 2010.

1. TripleNut

TripleNut Valued Member

Looking for a bit of clarification on the forms of Ju Jitsu that use both punches and kicks. As I originally understood it Ju Jitsu (not just BJJ) was mainly ground based with throws but I've been talking to a member of a local Ju Jitsu club near me who states that their syllabus has almost everything in it from both Karate and Judo coupled with the Ju Jitsu basics. He also stated that Karate and Judo both came from Ju Jitsu. I've checked YouTube and can find almost nothing on Ju Jitsu kicks and punches, it's all ground based and defence work, similar to BJJ. Also looked for books on the subject but they cover pretty much the same. I'd almost given up trying to find more info then stumbled across this info which seems to validate his points.

So exactly which form of Ju Jitsu does have this wide ranging syllabus utilising kicks and punches? Is it 'traditional'?........any further info/reading on this particular form would be much appreciated.

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

You'll find a number of Koryu that have an integrated system of atemi including open and closed hand strike and kicks.

These will of course be to facillitate other waza in the system rather than being used in the manner of a stand alone striking art.

You might find this of use:

http://www.koryu.com/library/mskoss8.html

Judo has it's roots in Koryu Jujutsu as for Karate er not sure where he's got that from.

Ps A lot of what is out there claiming to be Jujutsu isn't Jujutsu. It's often a mix of Judo, Karate etc

pps I've become a jujutsu snob.... :eek:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  3. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

So do juijutsu stances differ from judo stances because of the strikes? Also how do they generate power, is it more like karate, boxing, muay thai or completely indivual for each style?

4. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

In classical Japanese jujutsu ryuha, the theories of power generation differ from school to school. Some are akin to Chinese internal martial arts, while others are more akin to the bodywork used in other pugilistic arts.

The striking techniques in judo come mainly from Tenjin Shinyo-ryu jujutsu. Kano Jigoro, the founder of Kodokan judo was a menkyo kaiden (a fully licenced practitoner) of the ryu and adopted the striking methods from jujutsu to be used in judo, the same for a lot of the throws in judo; a lot of the throws, chokes and joint locks originate from Tenjin Shinyo-ryu.

5. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Thanks Kogusoku.:cool:

6. TripleNut

TripleNut Valued Member

So how does the syllabus I linked tie-in with Ju Jitsu generally? There are a lot of Karate-esque striking elements within this and it purports to be a 'Standard Traditional Ju Jitsu syllabus'.....or are they spinning us a line? It's a US based site so is Traditional Ju Jitsu studied differently between the US and UK?

Was I correct in thinking then that kicks and punches are generally not part of a standard (UK) Ju Jitsu syllabus?

7. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Jujitsu...

A fighting art ...

Hence must include kicking punching knee strikes elbow strikes headbutts throws locks dislocations chokes and can include weapons use of and defence against .

Smurf

8. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Oh yeah I left out the good bits gouging, biting, scratching and anything else that works

Smurf

9. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

Alternative

Hey Triplenut,

You appear to be shopping around for an ma if your previous posts are anything to go by. If that is the case then you could do a lot worse than to take up boxing and judo. Combined they will provide you with throws, clinch work, groundwork and hold downs, the ability to give and take a punch, footwork and build your strength endurance and mental toughness in a way that is far from guaranteed in a jujutsu class. Plus Judo and Boxing are cheap too.

If your interested in practicality then this could be the better option... jujutsu schools are very hit and miss with regards to quality.

10. Dean Winchester

You need to get past this idea you have of "standard jujutsu".

You say traditional to me and I think of either koryu jujutsu or koryu derived gendai jujutsu. However either one of those catagories will have unique styles in them that while sharing commonalities can also have significant differences in mindset and application.

What you seem to be looking at is an eclectic system that has borrowed bits from here and there. Now I'm not saying this might not be effective but what I am saying is that, to me, it's not traditional jujutsu. IMO that site is not completly accurate.

To be honest I think you could probably do with reading up on what jujutsu is and the range of styles that you will come across and the difference between traditional Japanese derived systems and modern eclectic systems.

11. Decision Tree

Decision Tree Valued Member

Read a book titled: 'Unarmed Fighting Techniques of the Samurai' - good place to start IMO.

12. Dean Winchester

Really? :confused:

What's your reasoning behind recomending that book in this instance?

To be honest , IMO, it's not exactly a book that a beginner could use to gain a general understanding of jujutsu, it's very Bujinkan specific and of course is written in Hatsumi Sensei's unique manner, which might be a bit off putting for a beginner.

For an inexpensive solution to learning a little of the traditional systems I'd say the OP would be better off reading koryu.com first.

Then for a general intro "Classical Figting Arts of Japan" by Serge Mol but I would recomend the OP reads the review of it on hoplology.com too as it has some flaws.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  13. Decision Tree

Decision Tree Valued Member

Fair enough.

14. Killa_Gorillas

Found anywhere good yet Triplenut?

15. TripleNut

TripleNut Valued Member

Apologies for the delay....yeah, I went over to here and all seems good so far. They're main focus is on traditional Ju Jitsu including all strikes which made their way into Karate and the throws and grappling that went into Judo. It's very much real-world biased although the juniors do go (and have titles at) many championships, including the Worlds. They also do plenty of sparing. It's a dedicated Dojo so has the mats/bags/pads there 24-7 if required. They also do loads for the Juniors and there seems a superb team spirit there, even between the parents of the kids who are training.

I've been working on breakfalling techniques and the basics of striking (hand/elbow/leg/foot). For the first time since I started MA I've been striking something, which is way more tiring than you think it's going to be. I was definitely not using my time that constructively before studying that type of Karate as it was Kata based with little else. I'm hoping I've found something that more up my street.

16. Dean Winchester

Hmmm....

Nothing there about what style it is or what it's descended from, going on a brief look of the website I have my doubts as to if it's a traditional system.

Hey but if it's good solid training and if they are upfront about what they teach then all is good.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  17. Killa_Gorillas

Cool mate, glad you found somewhere you like :cool:

18. Willsy

Willsy 'Ello love

I'm not trying to sound critical, but I'm just wondering where this idea that Karate took strikes from Ju Jitsu comes from? It's just something that I've never heard before so am simply asking.

19. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Wado-ryu did, but that's a Japanese founded karatedo system and the founder, Otsuka Hironori was a practitioner of Shindo Yoshin-ryu jujutsu.

The Okinawan & Ryukyu founded systems didn't need to borrow.

20. Raton

Raton New Member

Finnish Ju Jutsu, Hokutoryu ju jutsu has pretty much all the karate kicks and punches but also a lot more.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzQBrMlHY90"]YouTube - Hokutoryu jujutsu demo[/ame]