What exactly is a "popped" elbow?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Stevebjj, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

My elbow seems to be a little fragile. I've popped it like 3 times now, and it seems to now be a little prone to it. I was defending an americana and the guy wasn't really reefing on it all that hard; most of the stress was on my shoulder. Then... "pop". I felt it, rather than heard it, but I immediately knew what had happened.

It's not a debilitating injury for me. This happened on Tuesday and I can move it without pain, although I still can't lock my arm straight or curl it up all the way, but it'll be okay to roll light on Sunday and within a few weeks will be as good as it ever is.

My question is, what exactly is this? What's happening on a physiological level? What happens when it pops twice? What about three times (I've heard that three times is when something's really let go bad)?

2. spirez

spirez Valued Member

Joint laxity as far as i know. Can be caused by over stretching of ligaments in the joint, hence it not having as much support as it should. That's why it's easier to do it after the original occurrence, as the ligaments will have been stretched and cannot repair as well as muscles can. Probably also to do with the joint capsule being damaged, again meaning less support in the joint.

I hyper extended my thumb a while back but every now and then it will bend back really far if i'm doing push ups etc. I guess it's because the ligaments are still in a lengthened state.

Not sure the 3 time thing is a rule of thumb. The serious damage referred to could probably mean a complete ligament rupture/tear but could happen the first time or the 10th time, depending on the severity of the incident that caused the joint to pop.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2007
  3. JSun

JSun Valued Member

Oh man, I've had that happen to me when a friend pulled a reclining arm bar, rolled over and levereged his hips way to hard for just rolling. *POP* It didn't really hurt that bad, but one day I was working on some striking and it popped again. EXCRUCIATING PAIN! The upside was, it hasn't bothered me since :D

4. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

the popping is steps towards breaking the elbow capsule and dislocating the joint.

if you catch it *before* it dislocates, it's only a few weeks off...

5. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I'd get it checked, I'm thinking you may be developing something akin to "tennis elbow" from constant use, strain, and overextension of the elbow joint. A couple of guys at my school were complaining about it last night; it sounds to be a fact of life for what we do. You're also not 20 anymore (sorry, you're too old to be the next American Idol!)

Anyway, it may not be anything overly serious, but get it checked. My shoulder pops regularly, and a friend who's a physical therapist told me it's gonna do that b/c of my surgery, it's a meaningless sound.