What does your Kiai sound like?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Flying Shadow, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Evil Betty

Evil Betty Birdy, birdy birdy

I'm still developing my kiai. Usually I grunt type of "Hoi!", which sounds good but I can't get much volume out of it. I have natural tenor voice, and a fairly high one.

2. Ives

Ives Mokuteki o motte hajimeru

Most of the time I spit out a HUUYYJ!!! (Short and powerfull) Of EEEH!!!
    I don't think I ever scared anyone with it, though.

3. TheWaterMargins

TheWaterMargins Valued Member

Like a startled leprechaun .....

4. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

I've been told that for a little person i have a loud kiai.

When doing kata, basic and pre set i use a good loud oosa, we start out at ooose and develop our own sound mine's sort of pronounced UzA though the Z is more like a push of air.
    When sparring or doing padwork a short EEyA and still the Y is mostly air.

5. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

ptwang!
    or maybe Gadzooks!

6. Jim Sorensen

Jim Sorensen Valued Member

LOL! :D

My first "Kiai" sounded passive and weak because I was afraid of the other students thinking of me as a dope.

Then I put my heart into and it sounded like a war cry...startled the other students a few times from their drills, lol! :p

7. Juego Todo

Juego Todo Stay thirsty, my friends.

This one lady at my old dojang used to kihap as if she was having an orgasm! Nothing at all like the female tennis players ;)

It was always unsettling to the males in the dojang. It didn't help that she was drop-dead gorgeous :eek:

Coincidentally, classes were always full on the nights she attended :D

Last edited: Nov 5, 2005
  8. Never2Late

Never2Late New Member

Usually it's "HUTTT" or "HAIIII". We do have one of those "ICE" guys in our dojo. It's a little strange, but I've gotten used to it.

This one poor kid whose about 14-15 has a voice that is changing in a really bad way. His Kiai starts out really low and ends up like fingers on a chalkboard. :eek: ;)

9. Tommy_P

Tommy_P New Member

My kiai isn't too loud, but strong enough, and the facilal expression is serious. It sounds something like this:

"If you don't get outta my face I'm gonna smash your head like a mellon"

:D
    Tommy

10. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Four syllables. The first two are "mother". The second two indicate that the object of the kiai is a practitioner of aberrant and taboo incestuous sexual acts.

11. Giver

Giver New Member

Wow, interesting question. ^ ^

Mine is usually like a "KIAAAAAH", but some people others in my dojo are like, "KIA" really short. And some people say "SIAAAAH", for variation in my dojo. If we're being more informal, it's just a "AAAAH"

12. kumikaze

kumikaze valved ember

here's mine:

WHazzaaaaaaaaaaahhh!!!!!11one1!!1! :woo:

13. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

haha

14. JHughes

JHughes New Member

Kiai helps me focus

my kiai is a sort of aaahh short and snappy put there to shock an opponant.
    but do remember kiai has to come naturaly. :bang:
    :D

15. Juego Todo

Juego Todo Stay thirsty, my friends.

"Haaaaaaaaaa!"

Actually, it's "Haaaaaaaaa!" (one less "a"; I don't want to seem pretentious)

;)

16. Martial_Julez

Martial_Julez Valued Member

Mine is kind of like "ciaa" or "ous" lol.

17. kall

kall New Member

SUPER NINJA POWERS ACTIVATE!!!!!!

or aiii

18. Reoku

Reoku Valued Member

i'm a begginer(i've had like 2-3 classes) and i have never heard of Kiai. apparently their some kind of yell, but... whats it for? intimidation? self confidence? i have to say, i'd feel pretty stupid yelling things like that...(no offence by the way :) )

19. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

hey Reoku, your manga drawings are really gd

20. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

it does feel a bit strange at first but you'll get used to it and it should come naturaly.

it is basically a loud yell. it should come form the solar plexus and you shouldn't breathe out. when you yell you should tighten the stomach area and channel energy into what ever part of the body you are using, much like tennis players yell when they strike the ball.

it's also useful if you do any breakfalls from a height. kiai (or ki ahp as koreans call it) a split second before you land, tighten the solar plexus and don't breathe out. that way you won't wind yourself.

:)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2005