What does the term martial art mean to you?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Colin Linz, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

I have read in a couple of posts different peoples definitions of martial arts. Rather than derail the threads I thought I would start a thread to discus this.

What struck me was the “study of war arts” definition that seems common within the American Kempo systems. I should state first off that I don’t have a huge concern with this definition; just that it seems a little limiting. It is probably why I prefer not to term different arts as martial arts. In Japan the different arts come under different descriptors. I like this because different arts philosophies of existence are different. For example some arts in Japan are termed Bujutsu, these are the arts that are only concerned with actual use in an environment of conflict, perhaps this is where some people see their art. They also have kakutougi, these arts are fighting type sports and they are concerned with victory in the ring. Further to these are budo forms, these are concerned with utilising the practice of military techniques in a way that helps people develop spiritually so they may become better members within their societies. The meaning of budo is to end conflict. For a really good idea of the goals of budo have a look at the Budo Kensho . It is the creed and meaning of budo as agreed by the Japanese Budo Association (Nippon Budo Shingikai), the committee was represented by budoka from Judo, Kendo, Kyudo, Sumo, Karatedo, Aikido, Shorinji Kempo, Naginata, and Jukendo.

So when you say you study a martial art, where would you perceive your art sitting within these descriptors? Would you consider someone that studies outside your arts understanding of martial arts to still be studying a martial art?

2. drunken_master

drunken_master Valued Member

I wanted to make a thread like this but instead made the bad decision of sneaking my comments into another unrelated one.

I'm not too familiar with the Japanese view of things, but I tend to think of things in terms of martial art, martial sport, martial combat (I don't actually use these words when I talk to people, unless its kind of a debate like this). It seems to pretty well parallel what you've described. I'd say I spend about 45% of my time on the serious self defense aspects (combat), 45% on the fun or enlightening self improvement aspects (art), and really the competitive side (sport) doesn't matter to me much.

Realistically we're still doing what we're doing regardless of the word we use for it, these are just the three ways I tend to break it down in my own head. Generally I try not to tell people what they're doing isn't really martial arts, but neither do I like to label just anyone a martial artist. Is the guy who mugs you on the way home from work a martial artist just cause he lifts weights, hits the bag and knows how to fight? He might know how to fight, he might hit the bag regularly, but I wouldn't call him a martial artist. He's just some guy who can fight. Many MAs are so vastly different with different focuses and goals that there isn't really a way to define what a martial artist is, I just try to reserve the term for someone who deserves it.

3. Joe V.

Joe V. Valued Member

I guess we could parse the term Martial in may different ways. Just about every Art has a rank structure, they all recognize certain levels of achievemnet and provide standards and methods by which to improve the body and the spirit. This can be construed as being militaristic in approach.
    Most Arts were developed first as systems of war or defense against war. That does not mean that all Arts are about war. The most active and ardent anti-war activist tend to be veterans who have lived war and renounce war as an institution. No one appreciates peace more than someone who has been in war.
    This goes well with the theory of Ying-Yang. A Matrial Art is a duality of war and peace.
    Just my thoughts.
    Peace to You!
    JoeV.

4. okinawagojuryu

okinawagojuryu Banned Banned

Well, if you look at the character for Bu, as in Budo, or Bujutsu, etc, it is made up of two other characters, stop & spear. So Budo could be translated as way of stopping the spear, which if you think about it, could be another way of saying, a way of stopping violence.
    Budo is something personal, we all have our views of what it is, or is not; and sometimes our views change as we grow. Sometimes, we find out, that something is just the opposite of what we originally thought years ago.
    For a while now, I've been wanting to put an article together on what the martial arts/Budo is/is not from my perspective. Then a while ago somone came up to me that found out I was looking for a new church, & told me that I would have to stop training after 28 yrs of my life that I have dedicated to something that I love, cause HE SAID it was ungodly. It made me very upset at 1st, but I began to research the bible to find scripture, that correlates to the principles of Budo/martial arts. I have began to put the two together, what the martial arts is/is not, & martial arts from a christian point of view, that there is absolutely nothing wrong with training according to the scripture. If any of you are interested I can post the link once I have it up on my site.

5. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

So does this mean you guys would see your selves as a form of budo? I have wondered about this as the military descriptor is used heavily. I have also noticed that many people are expressing the desire to only learn fighting techniques and care little about character development. I had wondered if this shift in customer needs had caused a shift in how you marketed what you do and the image of what you do. From my limited knowledge of American Kenpo systems I have a perception that you guys are very customer focused.

In arts like Aikido or Shorinji Kempo there is no thought of winning or losing, these are not the goals. They are very un-militaristic in this aspect. All we are doing is helping someone restore harmony to their spirit and end the conflict, the whole process is learning how to join with the aggressor and work in partnership with them so that they can understand what they have done wrong and have the opportunity to become a more peaceful person. Because of this lack of emphasis on defeating an enemy are we still a martial art?

6. okinawagojuryu

okinawagojuryu Banned Banned

We have to remember, atleast here in the US, that most martial arts were brought here by those who have spent time overseas while in the military. This has influenced the martial arts greatly. Resulting in the things you speak of.

7. Joe V.

Joe V. Valued Member

I have been to many Aikido Seminars, none in Shorinji Kempo. Every technique or Method I was ever taught could break, dislocate or disable as well as any of my Kenpo techniques. The only difference I see is the intent of the defender vs the attacker. I have studied Tai Chi and been amazed as to how many of the moves, if the bunkai is explored, equate to bone breaks and immobilizations.
    Are Shorinji Kempo and Aikido Martial Arts??? ABSOLUTELY! I respect how your organization is operated. I read your post on another thread. We are Brothers in the Arts as far as I am concerned.
    Take care!
    Joe V.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2006
  8. Joe V.

Joe V. Valued Member

I can only speak for myself here. Now that you mention it... 3 of the 5 Instructors I have studied from,received their initial training in the Military. I studied TKD while in the Military in Korea...
    I see your point!
    Your Brother in the Arts.
    JoeV.

9. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

I was pretty sure you guys would see us as a martial art, as indeed we are. I was just curious to explore individual paradigms of what is a martial art, did it have to be battlefield effective, have a strong competitive element, be a method of character development, or have all of these elements?

While Doshin So spent most of his early life living in China studying various kempo systems, many of our techniques have resemblances with some of the older koryu jujutsu techniques like those of Daito-ryu Aiki Jujutsu. Where we differ is that our techniques are designed to control rather than break or dislocate. Certainly they could do this if not done correctly, but this isn't their purpose.

10. Joe V.

Joe V. Valued Member

Brother Colin,
    I think any Matrial Art should provide the student with the tools necessary to effectively defend themselves from a physical attack.

Personally, I support competition as part of my students training. If nothing else it gives them a chance to see and interact with other Martial Artists and styles.

Your Brother in the Arts
    JoeV.