What does Kuk Sool and training mean to you?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Unknown Entity, Jan 9, 2006.

1. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

At the end of the day, nobody is going to grab your wrist on the street anyway are they?

2. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

I don't know... ask a lot of women that get attacked. They might tell you otherwise.

I don't always see someone coming up to me and just grabbing my wrist same side like practicing Ahn Sohn Mohk Soo (tho consider a handshake situation). But consider yourself walking away from someone, they come up behind you and grabbing your wrist because of your arm sway and thus it's the closest thing to grab (a la Ssahng Soo 11-15). I know that sort of wrist grab has certainly happened to me, and I've certainly seen others get grabbed that way (typically children running the other direction from their parents :D).

But I also don't always see the particular "set up" situations for our techniques being the only use for the concept being taught. For instance, Ap Eui Bohk Soo #6 could be a good defense against someone throwing a haymaker at you... you block with same side arm, grab their wrist, and flow into the technique just the same. No clothing grab at your wrist was involved, but the situation is still the same and the same technique can still flow out.

I see technique as similar to hyung... we do it over and over to get our bodies to recognize situations and to move accordingly. The classroom setting of how we learn techniques is one thing, but from that classroom teaching you learn concepts, you learn how the body works and doesn't work, and greater things than just trying to slap on some particular ordering of movements. You don't want to go in with any preconceived notions that you're going to apply your favorite technique, you just have to let things flow and go with what you're given at the time.

3. Silentmonk

Silentmonk The Blue Donkster!!

Yes but not to grab your wrist. :D

4. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

According to some lists, one of the most common attacks is to grab some part of the front of the body with one hand and punch with the other. If I have time I try to find a citable (and hopefully credible) source.

5. ember

ember Valued Member

No, it wasn't this March's demo, it was the 2004 World Tournament Master's Exhibition. When they wove all the different school's demos into this interesting narrative about one family. There was one section with a row of ladies, dressed to go out, with purses and chairs...

6. ember

ember Valued Member

It all depends on the intent. If the attacker just intends to beat someone up, you may be right. But if they want something else, they may well grab the wrist. If the fight is about power, control, and/or humiliation instead, then the wrist is a natural "handle" for submission.

Anyway, near as I can tell, most attacks on women don't happen on the streets, they happen in homes and familiar places. And the attackers are usually not strangers.

Y'all are talking about "mugging" scenarios, I think that's more likely to happen to a guy. A stranger attacking a woman (not just purse-snatching) is likely to have a different intent.

7. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

Oh ok, that one.

That was not our school. If I remember correctly, I believe that was the San Antonio school on Vance Jackson, which I think it technically one of Chiefmaster's schools but is run by PSBN Patricia Braun.

In that string of demos, our school did the one with the family in the park (dad, mom, son, daughter) getting attacked by a band of hooligans.

I really liked that set of demos, the theme and all.

8. ember

ember Valued Member

I remember that. It looked like almost the exact same routine at the September Texas Tourney, with the kids fishng for the cell phone and calling 9-1-1. I thought the kids parts were pretty smartly done.

So are there specialized self-defense classes at your school? Or is it mostly a demo routine?

9. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

Yup. That's the one. I thought it was well done for all the parts. The kids were certainly fun... like one part where a guy picks them both up and they start hanging off his ears. Funny, but a legit thing to do.

As far as I know, that's all just demo routine.

There isn't a specialized self-defense class, like "Every Friday at 8pm we do self-defense". But sometimes normal class' subject will be on self-defense, and we do try to think about application a lot.

I have seen some special self-defense stuff done for groups, like a couple months ago a group of Girl Scouts came in and SBN Perry gave them a seminar on self-defense.

10. TXKukSoolBB

TXKukSoolBB Valued Member

You are correct. The only change is that SBN Carlos Alanis is now the school director.

11. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

Oh really? What happened to PSBN Braun? (if it's publicly repeatable).