What does Kuk Sool and training mean to you?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Unknown Entity, Jan 9, 2006.

1. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

i,ve been doing kuk sool for over 10 1/2 years now and in all that time i have never run out of things to learn, or seen an end to my martial art knowledge. i hope the same will happen to you.

2. kiseki

kiseki beating shadows since '06

I already knew that Francisco taught, since he did it in my dinning hall, but unfortunately, he has moved on to bigger and better things. The presence of KSW at Texas Tech next semester is a big question mark.

However, your next statement is depressing.
    Nothing new in 6 weeks? You said techniques, but are you also not recieving any new forms? While I like learning the details, I'm not sure I coudl sustain my interest on that.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2006
  3. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

when you reach embers rank you will have enough to practice and train with without learning any more for a little while.

officially when you promote to black belt you aren't supposed to learn anything new for a year. instead you take a year "perfecting" what you have already been taught, 213 techs and 6 empty hand hyung.

:)

4. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

as a school owner i've never seen anything that says that you can't teach anything to a bb for a whole year, i compleatly disagree with this and will start to teach the new sylibus to bb on there first class back after promotion, there is to much to learn between 1st and 2nd dan to take a year off, plus we are all quite capable of learning new stuff and practicing old stuff at the same time.

5. Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity New Member

Is it not 226 techniques plus the 5 Sohm Pae Ki????

6. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

yeah, sorry worked it out wrong :eek:

7. Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity New Member

Think the only person that can slow your learning down is yourself!!

I've just recently started going over my under BB syllabus again looking at the techniques in more detail and I am still learning! You don't necessarily need to be shown new stuff to be learning.

Every time I kick, punch, throw, fall do a form etc I am constantly evaluating myself and learning.

Sometimes you have to decide whether or not you want to be good in your discipline and know enough to practice on or get shown everything and be crap at it all. I know what I'd choose.

When I was promoting up the ranks I once told my instructor that I felt it was wrong for me to test to promote as I wanted to work on the stuff I already had. He responded by saying that I shouldn't make requests like that but I told him that I wasn't in any rush to promote just for a new belt as I said I would be doing this until I can no longer physically do it so it didn't bother me how long it would take!

I think too many people want to promote quickly and have a new belt to show...shame they don't always have the skills to reflect it.

8. Silentmonk

Silentmonk The Blue Donkster!!

Yep 226 techniques. Dave did you not get taught Eue Bohk Soo ?? :D

I don't think there is anyway that anyone can enforce the year without learning anything really, its instructors discretion who knows what really goes on in any club its not like people are doing random spot checks,using a polygraph. But i would say that its easy to breakdown and analyse something that you have a basic understanding of when you aren't trying to learn something else on top. I find it a lot easier, and no I'm not thick lol took me 8 hrs to "learn" the entire 1st to 2nd degree technique syllabus. Mind you that was one on one. :D

9. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

i've never seen it written down either ksn but it's what i've always been told. :confused:

i'd be lying if i said i didn't learn anything for the first year of being jkn. also, i only promoted to ksn last june but i am already more than halfway through the 2nd dahn syllabus.

:)

10. Silentmonk

SHOCKING :eek: I'm telling :D

11. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

Eue Bohk what??? :confused: :D

12. Silentmonk

Yep as i thought!!! It doesn't matter Dave don't worry about them lol :D

13. kswflip

kswflip Valued Member

training

Hello this is my first post so go easy on me.
    At the moment you are all talking about training from being a hobby to it being more of a journey of discovery well after 20 years of training it has for me been a journey sometimes not an easy one i will say the best one!!

14. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

The notion of having a year after promotion to study before starting new skills has been around for years. This is proported to be necessary to "solidify" the skills. It seems that WKSA requires only memorization of the skills for promotion, not mastery. So this "year" is necessary ??? It doesn't make sense to me. If they can't do it don't promote them..(not gonna happen because that means less test fees$$$ and people will quit unhappy).. IF the syllabus is too much to learn then change it..(not gonna happen that means admitting its wrong/inappropriate) ..... It seems that this unwritten rule is a convienent way to justify promoting underskilled people. The bottom line is that the syllabus is to thick for general public consumption compared to other systems and as a result, you have relative little training time on each skill for the average student resulting a low skill output. If mindful repetition is the key then, if we had half as many skills they would each be roughly twice as good? right??? the question is what do you move??? ( I don't think any skill should be eliminated as they all have some value). What should go where? This would eliminate the need for the "year " of review, people would be happier in general as they would feel more competent ( they know less volume but they can actually do it) and quality and longevity of blackbelts would likely increase.. :cool: :cool: the easiest way to teach someone nothing , is to try and teach them everything.......

15. Silentmonk

Yeah i'd agree with a fair proportion of that summation choi. :)

16. Gi Ma Ja Se

Gi Ma Ja Se 90 degrees is 4 real MA's

hi and welcome to the boards.... 20 years hey... so is that all in KSW?? are you UK based???

17. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

The year wait thing comes from book number 3. If you look at Ki Bohn Bohn, in the descriptive paragraph before the techniques are shown, it talks about this. Basically it says it is completely up to the teacher, but a year of teaching and refining is recommended.

It also in book 3 that before learning Baek Pahl Ki hyung that you should be able to do all previous forms 4 times in a row without much difficulty in breathing.

I think both of these recommendations make sense. Although the years time on techniques could just as easily be during the black brown belt.

18. You Won Hwa

You Won Hwa Valued Member

You bring up a lot of interesting topics.

How would one compare students of different disciplines? Would you assume that black belts of the same dan but different styles should be roughly comparable, as in have the same extra chance to get out alive in a street confrontation? How do you compare different styles when you also have age, gender, culture, personalities (and whatever else) to control for?

You complain that the first degree curriculum is too much for an average person to accomplish, but if soemthing is taken out, people complain that the black belts don't mean as much as they used to.

One interesting bit of history to know would be why Kuk Sa Nym put so much MORE into the Western syllabus than was in the original Korean First degree syllabus, and how long did it take to keep adding stuff till if got to where it is today. Did that occur soon after he moved here, and how soon? I heard someone complain once that the curriculum was dumbed down when go guep/dae guep was broken into two forms. If that occured, which fits into the whole concept of performing go guep/dae guep together, it happened before 1985. When did that happen, and was another form taken out, was the name changed? For that matter, when were the last two parts of Ki Cho Hyung added, or were they for some reason, left out of the (hopefully humerous) vids posted here?

If there is so much less material at the higher ranks, what would be so wrong about moving some of the material up, and having fewer technique sets in first degree?

Different instructors teach a different amount of detail, and a different amount of detail to different students. Would you want WKSA to regulate this aspect of training? Aside from students enrolling in competition, and pitting the schools against each other, as we do, how would youdo this? Maybe instead of the point system we use, we could change that to some complicated system where ratio of students enrolled and students competing compared to the percentage of points those students bring in, so the school scores are weighted. Seems a bit silly, even if the results would be interesting.

19. ember

ember Valued Member

Exactly. If you see the "Target 2006" thread, you'll see that I have a LOT of goals to work on this year. While on one hand I would love to get started on Ki Bohn Bohn, Baek Pahl Ki Hyung, and straight sword form, I have enough to work on this year even without promoting.

20. ember

ember Valued Member

I would say both yes and no to this, too. Remember Jsun's comment a few threads back, about how later technique sets add to our understanding of Ki Bohn Soo? Sometimes it takes learning something else on top to enhance the understanding.