What does everone think of CNG's SKK...

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Joe V., Feb 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe V.

Joe V. Valued Member

2. John Bishop

John Bishop Valued Member

Last edited: Apr 24, 2006
  3. kempojosh

kempojosh Valued Member

when i'm asking you seniors this keep in mind that i'm "a newbie" as prof. shuras said. when someone is doing katas/pinions/forms/etc. does it matter if the person is trying to go for a smooth fluid motion, or should the person go more for speed and power. and what is the reasoning for this?

4. Joe V.

Joe V. Valued Member

Congrats to the demonstrator! He showed excellent balance and power through out the form! :)

You think it could be arranged for Mr. Geary to take a private or two from this kid?? :)

5. Joe V.

Joe V. Valued Member

As you progress.

Both! You need to be able to show fluidity in motion while demonstrating power and speed. Honsuki (BB form)is a perfect example of this concept. Once you reach Shodan you should have a pretty good understanding of those principles. By the time you reach Sandan and above the ability to perform with both fluidity and power are a given. That's just the forms... Then there is the "can you make it work?" aspect that comes to bear as well.

6. guan-gi

guan-gi New Member

so....

Obviously the "we report you decide" line doesn't apply to the new person putting the video together, either... :D

7. kempojosh

kempojosh Valued Member

and if you have on without the other?

8. Red J

Red J New Member

I just watched Matthew Barnes perform Pinan 1 and wanted to comment that when he half moons, the emphasis is on moving forward to deliver the strike. He is focused and has very little "side to side" motion or head bobbing that you see with lower ranks. His head moves forward in a relatively straight line as opposed to zig zagging. It is obvious that he has an advanced understanding of a very basic concept. This falls right in line with what I have been taught in SKK.

I have seen both looking over the shoulder and not looking in Pinan 1.

9. Joe V.

Joe V. Valued Member

It means there has not been the detailed analysis of movement that comes from studying directly under a seasoned Instructor. Funny thing, most of this analysis and correction should come at an early stage of development in the martial arts.
    There is the constant refinement of technique and movement as you progress, but alot of bad habits and misconceptions on body mechanics can be corrected early on.
    "You need a solid foundation to build upon". I know that is an old cliche' but it most definitely applies in the Martial Arts!

10. dianhsuhe

dianhsuhe Co-Founder: Glow-Do

hmmm

They go hand in hand Josh

11. Matthew Barnes

Matthew Barnes Valued Member

Sometimes.

I have to throw in a little disclaimer / fine print thing about speed and power. They go hand in hand when you learn things with proper body mechanics. I can't tell you how many times I've seem someone who is 'fast' but had no power. They were just flailing away, but one could just walk into their punches because there was nothing behind them. Fast doesn't always equal powerful.

Matt

12. Matthew Barnes

Gosh, thanks!

That's very kind of you. Thanks for the comment. I can't say it's 'the definitive version', but I thought it was a fair comparison as Mr. Geary and I are about the same age and hypothetically have the same number of years of training.

Matt

13. Matthew Barnes

Well, at least one of them looks good.

The kid looked great. Very sharp. As he matures, his motor development will along with him, and he'll have a bunch more power. His instructor should be proud.

Matt

14. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

I found this to be interesting!
    http://www.nickcerioskenpo.com/NCIMAA/NCIMAAHOME.htm

It seems that Nick Cerio recognized and issued black belt certificates outside of his organization. Yes he shut it down but it took him 10 years to do so and they issued certificates without verification. Sound familiar?

It states that they recognized individuals from in their "own systems."
    It also states that if they were unfamiliar with the background or style or there was a question to ones validity. requests for rank verification were then made.

That was from am NCMIAA brochure although not exact wording.

Then someone wrote a contradictory statement.
    When someone or a school applied for membership Professor Cerio would ask for their diploma and when he was satisfied that the persons rank was authentic he would then recognize them by issuing an NCIMAA diploma equal to that persons rank and Pro. Cerio signed it.

That is very controversial. Based on the "original" brochure anyone could have joined at an instructor rank, at least it was a possibility.

Even by the rewording or explanion of Cerios student it still appears to be what those in here call a "diploma mill." It left the door wide open for any stylist, a master level Tae Kwon Do artist could walk away with a master level Nick Cerio Certification.

He did disband this thing of his. But did his students have to harp on him too? Sound familiar?

15. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

I was told to play nice in here regarding you Jim. So I won't take the bait. Others here are better qualified to speak for Cerio.

16. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

No baiting. So much dirt has been issued I think it fair to issue the same dirt in all directions.

17. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

web masters have been busy pulling feet from mouths!

All comments are gone from the KGS site. And the page referenced above is also gone from the NCK site.

When in doubt, REVISE!

but this fact remains unexplained: 6 months after supposedly leaving Omaha "disappointed", the KGS BBS put Prof. Geary up for School of the Year, and sent him a teaching certificate. REVISE! The supposed disappointment is an after-the-fact revision. Why would you make that nomination and why would you send that certificate, if the disappointment were real??? it doesn't add up. What adds up is, KGS:"Let's say that we knew from the start something was wrong, but out of the goodness of our hearts we kept him. That story makes us look good" yeah but it looks like a lie now.

notice the date on here is 6 months AFTER their trip to Omaha. is it just me or is it hard to believe what the KGS BBS says?????
    [​IMG]

none of their East Coast BBs were tested, many jumped 3 or 4 dan ranks FROM THEIR PREVIOUS STYLE, and not one of them has put up one second of video showing how much better their performance is.

You might remember from 25 pages ago, but Geary's ability was only brought up AFTER he quit the organization, and was never part of his acceptance into or leaving of the KGS BBS. They brought it up because the cracks were starting to show, and by distracting everyone with the video, nobody will stop to think about what's going on at the KGS BBS. Since then they have told lies and manufactured history and got caught at quite a bit of it...

Say what you want about Prof. Geary's videos, but recognize that what Prof. Geary wrote about them here

http://www.christophergeary.com/autobiography-14.php

is what this is all about.

===========

PS Prof. geary just made available some free history
    http://www.christophergeary.com/James-Mitose.php

18. kempojosh

kempojosh Valued Member

and everyone knows you're right:woo:

19. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

No they don't LOL

I'd say a very large percentage of everyone doesn't care one way or the other!

20. dianhsuhe

dianhsuhe Co-Founder: Glow-Do

Hey!

Cool! The CNG thread lives... :bang:

I am really curious how Kempojosh and Kenpodavid feel about Geary's videos--- How do you guys feel about those performances? I like David's posts and I respect both your points of view but come on...

Your loyalty is admirable but at the end of the day all you have are a couple of simply awful video performance- So you can log on 23 times a day and post emails, dates, and certificates but what about the videos?

I don't care who is right or wrong, whose feelings are hurt, or how much mud y'all sling at each other- when you boil it down all that matters (in a 3rd person observers eyes at least- me) is the VIDEO we have seen. IMHO it is indefensible and that is where you two are gonna run into credibility issues...

james

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.