What does everone think of CNG's SKK...

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Joe V., Feb 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe V.

Joe V. Valued Member

This thread is to gather the opinion on CNG's SKK.

2. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

I suppose the best answer would be "to each their own". There is definitely issues between the 2 involved factions, but your question can only re-hash what has already been aired out, and only lead to the thread being closed again. In the end, it comes down to what people in both camps believe, and what students in each camp want to spend their $$ on. That is something we cannot control ;)

3. meijin10

meijin10 Valued Member

Move on

I go along with Pacificshore. Time to move on. :cool:

4. Joe V.

Joe V. Valued Member

Trying to keep things seperate...

The reason I opened this thread is try and seperate the Videos thread from Mr. Geary.

I thought we had some pretty good videos and reviews, so I did not want the two threads to cross again. I thought this might be the best approach.

If members and guests want to express their views and opinions on Mr. Geary. Lets do it on this thread. Just as in the GM Villari thread.

Do you agree?
    JoeV.

5. kempojosh

kempojosh Valued Member

what are the rules of engametnt? is this the purpose of the thread to bash, let anyone say what they want, or have a honest discussion?

6. Joe V.

Joe V. Valued Member

I am not going to set any rules, I have no authority to do so.
    As for "Honest discussion" that is up to the individual posting and their integrity.
    JoeV. :cool:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2006
  7. kempojosh

kempojosh Valued Member

can i say that i'm not the k-nerd from bushido?

8. Joe V.

Joe V. Valued Member

Didn't you start a thread for that?

9. kempojosh

kempojosh Valued Member

not really, on this tread i would like to say that i'm not k-nerd. the other thread is for other people to discusse with me and others whether or not i am the infamous k-nerd.

there will be no more deviations from me concerning this thread.

thanks for everyone's great input.

10. kempojosh

kempojosh Valued Member

i've only been in CNG's skk for a short while. i started in june then i deployed to the middle east for a few months. and when i got back home in november i started back with my training.

i'm getting my money's worth. i attend shihan steiner's school and he is a great martial artist as well as teacher. if i felt like i was getting the run around or the school wasn't good, then i'd find a new school.

i think that since cng is one of the first people in our life time to fly through the ranks, he will get complaints from people. other people are capable of learning and moving through the ranks like he has. that won't happen if the masters think that the higer ranks are only for 30 year veterans.

11. Joe V.

Joe V. Valued Member

How many times....

Josh, the Martial Arts are not about the finish line ("flying through the ranks"), the Martial Arts are (IMHO) about the never ending journey to seek perfection in the physical and spirtual aspects of the Art.
    Therefore, emphasis should not be placed in the acheivement of rank.
    Mr. Geary has not passed this basic knowledge on to his students. I go by your and David's posts only. Everything I have read from you both, brings this out very clearly.
    If he does not pass on the basic tenents of the Martial Arts to his students. Then he does not deserve to be called "Professor" or "Shihan" by respected Martial Artists in the community.
    As for getting your money's worth... Well, it is your money waste it as you see fit... Look around though.... There just has to be something better.

12. kempojosh

kempojosh Valued Member

hard

you're right joe v. ma is not about a finish line, it is a never ending journey.

as far as finding a better school to go to, there's alot to consider...i did look around before i decided to go with cng's skk. i'm not interested in tae kwon do so scratch that one. i read a few bad things on-line about the kung-fu school. there are alot of other schools around the omaha area. i went with the kempo school because i liked it. everyone has to find a school that works for them.

believe me, if i was being conned out of my money, i'd be bashing cng. but i'm not being conned or lead in a wrong direction. i'm getting good martial arts training.

i think that we'll have to (respectfully) agree to disagree.

13. Joe V.

Joe V. Valued Member

Agreed!
    BUT, I will add this ...
    Lets talk about this again, after, you have been studying for 10 years...
    God willing, we will still both be here.
    "Time makes you or exposes you in the Martial Arts"
    (SiGung J. Bishop's tag line)... I am not bringing SiGung Bishop in to this. The Professor can speak for himself. I just really like his tag line :D
    JoeV.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2006
  14. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

I’m not going near the political side of this; however the grading time issue is something I would like to comment on. Gradings and their frameworks should be set by the individual martial art. I don’t think there is much to be gained by comparing one grade in one art to another.

In Shorinji Kempo this means there is no multiple gradings, no rank recognition for experience in other arts, set minimum time frames between gradings and set minimum ages for the holding of some ranks. As an example ikkyu to shodan is a minimum one year of study, and to gain godan you have to be at least 25 years old. On the surface this may appear unfair and that if you have the skill you should have the grade. This line of thought fails when consideration is given to what the grade means. In Shorinji Kempo the grade doesn’t only recognise physical skill, it also recognises personal improvement in skill and effort expended in improving ones skills. Even though we have separate ranks for philosophy (hokai ranks) and separate ranks for religion (sokai ranks), the martial art ranks (bukai ranks) still require emotional maturity and knowledge gained through life experience. This is why some of them have a minimum age requirement. Personally I don’t have any great concerns with this system of grading. If gradings were an issue to me I probably wouldn’t be studying Shorinji Kempo anymore, as in the past gradings have been very sparse and difficult to do in Australia.

15. Joe V.

Joe V. Valued Member

Well Said Colin!
    There is more to it than being able to do any form or technique... There is also the part about "earning your bones", wisdom comes only with time as your teacher.

16. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

At our school we have defined requirements for each belt - defense techniques, kata, etc; but there are also intangibles that Shihan Steiner looks for such as fighting spirit, persevering through pain or insurmountable odds, maintaining composure under stress. Also you have to show that you understand the idea behind the techniques by being able to adapt it to variations in the attack or conditions ("don't just do the technique, own the technique").

Every student progresses at their own pace, once you have all the reqs for your belt down, and you "own" them, then you will be tested. We don't have regular scheduled testing, you show up on a day and you discover it's time for your green belt test. So you have to be ready all the time to demonstrate all the material you've learned up to that rank. You know you are getting close when Shihan starts asking "what do you need for your next belt?"

There are no belt testing fees. We do charge $25 when you get promoted to offset the cost of the new belt and the certificate. The tests are hard and many people do not pass the first time. You will typically have to spar anyone who is there that day that outranks you, and usually you will have to spar multiple opponents at once, to the knockdown or tap out.. But when it's over, everyone knows they earned it, we ALL have the bruises to prove it.

17. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

That's Ed Parker's quote: "Time will either promote you or expose you"

18. Joe V.

Joe V. Valued Member

Even better... I think "Time" is particularly appropriate for the post.

19. DEATHskull

DEATHskull TKD Bearfighter

In Omaha, there really isn't much legitimate martial arts training available. I've personally been to many of the schools in this area, and with each one that I've been to, I've researched the instructor and his lineage as much as possible on the internet, watched classes, and talked with the instructors. By far, the worst ones that I have found are CNG's SKK, what's left of Robert Bussey's students, and Mark Goblowski's martial arts. I've actually found very few reputable schools in this area and I've been looking for about a year. If anybody wants advice on good schools in Omaha PM me and I'll send you a list. As far as CNG goes, READ HIS AUTOBIOGRAPHY!

20. DEATHskull

DEATHskull TKD Bearfighter

Another good one from Ed Parker, "Let time be your measurement to skill and experience."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.