What does "Chi" feel like for all you internal MA'ists?

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Richdog, Apr 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gerard

gerard Valued Member

This is an example of someone who mastered qi development.

http://www.energyarts.com/hires/library/masters/liuhung.html

Someone also told me that his master has fully opened his third eye and that enables him to see the entire meridian system (in the aura) of his opponent. In addition the movements of the opponent slow down as filmed with a high resolution camera. Check this link, scroll down and click on bee flying (under stupid animal tricks).

http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/high_speed_video/

That is a good example of how you see people when moving and you activate your third eye.

The thing is that being able to see someone at slow motion and with the pressure points on sight you can strike basically without moving too far.

It's hard to explain and imagine but that guy told me his Shifu has experienced that.

2. Richdog

Richdog Limecat is watching...

That sounds a bit fishy to me... in fact very fishy. :D

3. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

I certainly can relate to the kind of flow state where movement seems to slow down some, but do we really need to call it an opening of the "third eye"? In acupuncture, this space is nothing more than a particularly good point for calming emotions, draining sinus fluids, and the like. We "open" it all the time. I think that the mysticism in IMA tends to come second hand.

4. PlumDragon

PlumDragon "I am your evil stimulus"

I *hate* throbbing. The feeling of a throb when you put a bandaid over a cut, etc...I just cant bear it.
    Well when performing san ti in xing yi, one goal is to work on chi circulation. For me, I feel alot of the tingly warmth that many people have felt. But sometimes I get a throb in my fingers, the pulsation, not really like blood pulsing but just a throb, like I can feel the chi in pulses. It drives me crazy.

5. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Just a tingling in the fingers really. But I do feel emotionally different during/after chi gong. To be honest I still don't know if I believe in Chi and I only started practicing chi gong because:

a) It makes a useful warm-up/warm down.
    &
    b) I've got enough respect for my teacher to practice what he teaches, even if I'm dubious about.

I have to say though that I am enjoying chi gong practice now, it varies alot but at times it does seem like I have more energy for training and the tinge is cool ;)

6. Grammish

Grammish Valued Member

I've experience magnetism in the hands, and a tingling electrical feeling which starts at my hands and core and then spread out. Occasionally I feel warmth starting from my stomach and spreading out throughout my body. When I feel the warmth, the magnetic feeling in my hands is also accompanied by the feeling of the temperature of the space between my hands changing, as if it gets warmer the closer my hands are together.

7. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Is that Chi, or a prelude to a 'happy ending'?

8. Mr. Thomas

Mr. Thomas Valued Member

stafo,

are you saying just practicing siu nim tao alone can develop chi? what do other people have to say about this?

9. Mr. Thomas

Mr. Thomas Valued Member

plum dragon,

i have a question. is the santi practice in xing yi done to develop chi? can anyone please take the time to explain in detail?

10. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Yesterday i practiced some tai chi outside.. About 5-10 mins later I was sitting on my bed and my girlfriend put her hand on my head ( I guess she wanted to pat me like a dog or something..)

Ha, That'll teach her, she only got a static charge for her trouble!

My internal mastery is complete.

11. wujibu

wujibu Valued Member

I think something of real value that has not been mentioned in this thread so far is the power of the mind to create dynamic feeling states.
    When you practice your qi gong or taiji or wc or whatever, you are using your mind to lead your movements. Because of that your mind puts a specific feeling state into the parts of your body that are moving.
    Some people call that qi, or prana or whatever other esoteric term you want to apply to it.
    However the real good stuff is in learning to create feeling states in your body and around you (especially if you train for martial purposes).
    If you try something like lets say projecting the feeling of your body out five feet in front of you, if you can really develop that feeling and actually physically feel your body in front of you, this can yield very interesting results. Imagine if you can project your mind into your opponent and actually try to feel their movement and notice where their movement is coming from (IE: be so aware of your opponent that you can read his every movement). That is where the real gold is in terms of energy practices in martial arts.
    This type of mental practice can be mapped on to anything, like basketball, tango, sex, etc.... It is a really valuable practice to work at creating states where you can feel yourself and others with your mind. :)

12. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

[​IMG]

13. wujibu

wujibu Valued Member

Oops, sorry. Didn't realize it was a contentious point.
    I studied a bit with Peter Ralston and its pretty much his brainchild as a concept.
    He attributes his outrageously good skill to that type of work :)

14. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

I fail to see where anything wjb wrote is any more likely to open a can of fishbait than some of the other things in this thread,or for some the thread itself.

And always use fresh nightcrawlers-the ch'i of canned worms is very poor.

15. chof

chof Valued Member

the feeling of qi lets see in movement it feels like something is propelling you and extra added essence, power, help, and also as movement without thinking, an example you throw a round kick low and your foot travels to the mid and the head without thinking as if someone was controlling it, minimal movements create great power effortless i should say, a relaxed speed, reverse breathing cultivates qi and enhances the frontal cortex which speeds up neuron connections to synapses which provides an extreme state of advanced coordination, or rather qi gong, remember everything is controlled by the mind! you hit with your fist ,legs etc... but the mind is the base

16. chof

chof Valued Member

yes that sounds like an interesting perspective being able to read someones mind and have your body out 5 ft in fromt of you, but qi does many things but not to that magnitude, more like enhanced sense,s and perception being able to feel the energy of the strike so you can dodge it or seeing a minimal movemnt in detail before your enemy strikes, when performing qigong the qi travels through the body to improve it, also qigong is the only way to cultivate authentic qi, not the qi that everyone thinks they have! qi is energy actually infrasonic electromagnetic energy waves that carry energy through space also when performing qigong you are taking all the energy from the body and putting it in one place, this has martial applications, moreover the master has a field of constant energy around them and when in conflict the energy enhances, there is a technique know has skin breathing or iron shirt where the breathing applications aquire a tranparent feeling in the body which enables the master to move quicker and be more aware, moreover qi is intelligence this is how it repels blows from an attacker, because of your awareness

17. chof

chof Valued Member

the qi is connected to your body on the outside of you, like a field it gives warning to an attack when the field is penetrated

18. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Like my Spider Senses Tingling?

19. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

And what is the distance of this field from your skin? How far does it radiate out?

What is the range of this "early warning system" ?

Has it ever been proven beyond anecdote and myth?

20. chof

chof Valued Member

i would have to say about 5 inches from the body, when you practice qigong your body heats up and you carry this energy with you constantly, this is the heat that gives warning of an attack, the field, in other words infrasonic energy ,vibration field also sends vibration out wards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.