What do YOU want from the ninjutsu forum?

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Moosey, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Protip: Don't complain about a business not paying attention to what its users want in a thread asking the users what they want, while not giving any constructive feedback.

Do you not see the irony in doing that?

2. Shibari

Shibari New Member

Sorry Moosey, guess the constructive feedback didn't stop at your house this Chrimble.

I was pointing out what I believe the problem to be. It's not up to me to create a solution to said problem.

Nice to see that mod attitudes of attacking anything that disagrees with them or questions the Pax Adminicus remain unchanged. Perhaps a better attitude to have would have been "hmm, why do you think this has happened?" or "I see where you're coming from; any thoughts on finding some middle ground here?"

I finally understand that zen thing about one hand clapping. It's all the face palming.....

3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Thank you, Mr Wilde.

So, you didn't read the thread title before posting?

See the thread title and note how this vicious attacking seems not to have happened to any of the people who made suggestions in good faith.

4. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

What? You posted that MAP doesn't want to change in a thread asking about change...what did you expect????

5. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Probably time this thread got back on topic.

So, would anyone like to suggest something they'd like to see in this section, as this is what the thread is for rather than complaining that we don't try to take input and act on it.

6. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

I post mainly on the aikido threads. My reason for joining MAP was because of the constant badmouthing of aikido by many who had never trained in the art and based their assuptions on you tube nonsense.
    I started a thread explaining the principles and practice of aikido as a martial art and any trolls were directed to it and asked for comments.Few came back.

maybe that would be the way forward for the ninjutsu group.

regards koyo

7. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Just a thought, why does a Mod need to know the art? it's a discussion forum. He's not a teacher, more a policeman.

8. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

It helps a lot.

9. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

no it doesn't. it only matters to the people that think they are getting picked on. If there is a problem that the mod doesn't recognize, then they should receive a PM about it pointing out what the problem is.

10. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Why should it matter on a discussion forum, would it then run the risk of becoming a dictatorship?

11. Lily

Lily Valued Member

LOL @ Shibari. Moosey still rocks the house :)

Oh, as to what I want from the Ninjutsu forum. Answer: anything that Aegis wants.

12. OrangutanAttack

OrangutanAttack Keeping BBT&BJJ seperate

Does it really matter anymore? There are about 4 whole posters left that have the slightest clue about the art anyway, everyone else is long gone. Let all the know-it-all 5th kyus argue with the Alive-zombies if they want.

13. Hissatsu

Hissatsu End of the Road: Moved On

Ok - I'll bite.

:)

I would like this sub-forum to resemble something that is found on Bullshido. Specifically - the BJJ / Grappling forum which reads:
    The mods in that section are SMEs - and it shows. The discussion tends to be pretty good - with very high signal to noise. And it isn't closed to the outside - just that outsiders have to have a good (knowledgeable) question to make it to daylight in there.

That is what I would like.

Honestly - this isn't a slam on Chris - he does as best he can. It is just super frustrating to see a 2+2=5 discussion that is *endorsed* by the mod (because he doesn't have the background to see the mistake).

Oh - and make everyone use their name. :) It annoys me to talk about warrior ethics and then hide behind a user name... (ok - i know you aren't going to change that - but I can still wish, right?)

-Daniel

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  14. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

I'll choose big brother over little brother any day.

15. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

I'd like some festive peace & quiet so I can get on with my regular drinking + partying :D

Seriously though, I see no need for a sub forum, but I would like to see the members helping the staff more with problems, rather than seeing us as outsiders so not willing to include us in their problems.

16. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Bottom line it is MARTIAL ARTS planet not (insert which ever art you like)

regards koyo

17. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Exactly, and I think that's the appeal of MAP. It's not elitist towards particular styles yet it's not so over run that debates get lost in the chatter of hundreds and thousands of members.

18. Shibari

Shibari New Member

Koyo said - "Bottom line it is MARTIAL ARTS planet not (insert which ever art you like)"

Exactly, I couldn't agree more. It's what I've been saying. The fact is, MAP was created to serve a purpose. But a lot of people simply aren't looking for that particular product. They won't come back until there's a huge shift in culture and I don't think that will ever happen and perhaps it shouldn't. MAP isn't broken per se. It doesn't have to fulfil everyone's needs in a forum. There's no need for us to try and turn MAP into something else either. MAP is what it is and that's unlikely to change. If it's what you're looking for then great. If not, then shop around and find the forum that works for you.

Seriously people, it's just the internets.

*prepares for pending comment about being unhelpful or something* :cool:

19. llong

llong Valued Member

Well, I've been training in this art for nearly 4 years, have attended about 60 classes in Japan, attended many seminars, and have done my share of online research. And I still lack the necessary background to see the '2+2=5' nuances that Dan refers to. That's why it's tragic when MAP loses 10+ year veterans. Taking 1 or 10 or 50 or 100 classes isn't enough.

My response to the comment that members create content and not mods: That is true, but mods create the culture, and the culture (including ToS and general 'feel') attract members.

Admin & ToS --> Mods --> Culture --> Members --> Content

and, happily, a strong culture actually makes modship easier.

20. Arashima

Arashima Banned Banned

I see this slipped by without mention, but you are joking right?

I have managed to ascertain that one particular 'nursery room type environ' was chockablock with Shihan, Shidoshi and yudansha from across the ninjutsu world with green belts being a tiny minority, so expertise was not in question. There were also people who would never post on open forums like this but who were respected across the community.

It was somewhat insular, although practitioners of other arts were allowed in if they had something to offer, but as for 'controlled', I believe people were able to swear and allsorts, which must have alleviated all sorts of tensions and let people get on with discussion.

Yes 'Nin' means forbearance but not the kind of forbearance that means you put up with fungal infections rather than treat them.